Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:40 AM

305 posts, read 416,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Exactly. Look, I'm from Atlanta too and I as unemployed during the recession, so I get it. The economy in Atlanta is weird. The unemployment rate is much higher than the national average. I didn't go out either, and it sucked. However, I think if you can stick it out and find a good paying job there, you'll be immensely happy. You're too young to live out here. Join meetup groups in Atlanta and go out and do some cheap things (hiking, for example). It would be a good way to make friends and network too. Are you in college?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well I feel bad for you. But obviously you can come out here and get a job and learn what REAL misery is.
Real misery in my book is living in Hotels during the holiday season multiple times and being unemployed while watching your Mom try to support you and your sis, but 85% of her money gets sucked up by the hotel fees, and then no one wants to hire you cause you have no experience and are in a hotel. Ontop of the high unemployment rate(over 100 applications on almost every job I apply to, no one cares about someone like me out here). So yeah..

If I move Ill atleast be out of my Moms hair and shell only have to support my sis. I have someone I can room with if I move. Would like to know how being employed in Oklahoma is more miserable than this? I literally hate my existence by this point. I cant do anything for myself or my Mom. I have no transportation or even drive yet, so I cant go to any groups. Im not even in the mood to meet people right now. For what? To get to know them and not be able to see them again, cause we're always moving around, as usual?

And yeah I was about to start CC, but I cant, cause we dont live anywhere stable, so I never know where we're gonna be, and Mom is always out of town, how can I even get to class if we have to hop from hotel to hotel. Plus she doesnt have money for the massive bus fees id spend daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:20 AM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Your point is... what? Aside from going out of your way to pick another fight, which you're getting into the habit of doing.

And I'm sorry, did my last explanation go over your head? Let's try layman's terms and bullets:

-Most people outside of Oklahoma don't think anything about it. It doesn't cross their minds unless someone brings it up as Howard did.

-Howard made the claim young people are moving to OKC. Even without hearing the broadcast, I can assure you he went more in depth.

-Saying that reminded people OKC is actually there. Because they likely don't know much about it, his claim made them curious (which is why I can guarantee he followed up that headline with more to keep people listening).

-When saying that, the perception of OKC is generally negative (and yes, there was a poll to back that up: OKC ranked one of the worst in the country in terms of positive or negative association) and listeners would ask, "why?"

-He had to explain because that's a provocative statement and the human mind would want closure. When people don't have a favorable view of OKC, they'll be curious why he said that and will keep listening.

Get it now?
smh. Did you actually think my comment was serious. Sarcasm meter. Install one.

The fact that you have to exercise so much in the way of mental gymnastics over this is what's funny.

Howard probably read this stat somewhere and put it out there. You question it's veracity, and try come up with this ridiculous idea that he mad it up to "keep people listening."

You just can't stand the fact that what he said might be accurate. Heck, YOU are young and YOU are here. Perhaps there are other young people that came here under the same circumstances you did. They had to because this was one of the few places that had a robust economy.

To try and implicate that Howard made comments about OKC to boost ratings is asinine. And as I mentioned in my sarcastic post, completely flies in the face of your usual position concerning OKC.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:28 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,636 times
Quote:
smh. Did you actually think my comment was serious. Sarcasm meter. Install one.

The fact that you have to exercise so much in the way of mental gymnastics over this is what's funny.

Howard probably read this stat somewhere and put it out there. You question it's veracity, and try come up with this ridiculous idea that he mad it up to "keep people listening."

You just can't stand the fact that what he said might be accurate. Heck, YOU are young and YOU are here. Perhaps there are other young people that came here under the same circumstances you did. They had to because this was one of the few places that had a robust economy.

To try and implicate that Howard made comments about OKC to boost ratings is asinine. And as I mentioned in my sarcastic post, completely flies in the face of your usual position concerning OKC.
Well then, let's turn the discussion to something that was said on the radio recently: Oklahoma is losing people. That was actually said on an OKC station. Likewise, there's no data I can find to back that up. That got people listening. Go ahead and look for information that proves either one is true and post your findings. Without a podcast or transcript of the original broadcast, no one will know what was said because the OP wasn't very clear. There was a broad statement and it was left at that. Plus, I did say the OP sounds like his/her head is in the right place and all his/her circumstances (not having a car, personal issues, etc.) will suit him/her just fine in OKC and this is the perfect place for the OP to settle. Why can't you leave it at that?

He's still in entertainment. If you want to trust him as some guru, fine. There is, however, precedence that indicates you're likely wrong in that assessment... and I specifically named examples: Jim Cramer and Dr. Oz. You could also throw Phil McGraw and Laura Schlessinger onto the pile. I'm dumbfounded someone doesn't have a grasp of how people in the entertainment industry keep their jobs. When did I say it was to boost ratings? It was to keep people listening. I listen to a much more popular and entertaining Howard, and he knows how to keep people listening with excellent segues, the right cliffhangers, getting the mind to seek closure, storytelling, etc.

Yes, I am young... but you're now wrong on another matter: I am not there. Quite in fact, I made the two-day trip in a very strenuous single day just today because I was so glad to get out of there. I'm now at my hotel for the night, moving into a new apartment tomorrow far, far away from OKC. It can attract all the young people it wants... but does OKC have what it takes to retain them? It couldn't retain me because it had nothing I wanted, and I learned to loathe it there. The other young transplants I knew planned to leave when the time was right, just as I did. Now, I'm going to enter a de-Oklahomafication phase so that I can actually enjoy life, get out and explore what it has to offer, etc. Any phase in life I've had that means relocating, I've felt a sense of sadness, guilt and a bargaining desire to have a little more time there. Leaving Oklahoma this morning was the first time in my life in which that didn't happen.

So, you can enjoy that... for lack of a better term, let's call it a "life" that you have in Oklahoma. One in which you can chastise people for having a difference of opinion and criticize them for being spiteful and negative, when you turn around and spew the same. If the city that never wakes up suits you, if the "if I can make it there, I probably should stay because I can't make it anywhere else" is more your speed then fine. I'm done with that state and I'm ready to move on with my life.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post

So, you can enjoy that... for lack of a better term, let's call it a "life" that you have in Oklahoma. One in which you can chastise people for having a difference of opinion and criticize them for being spiteful and negative, when you turn around and spew the same. If the city that never wakes up suits you, if the "if I can make it there, I probably should stay because I can't make it anywhere else" is more your speed then fine. I'm done with that state and I'm ready to move on with my life.
Well gee, I'm glad you made it to your secret place. Best of luck to you. But don't forget to write.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,212 times
Quote:
Well gee, I'm glad you made it to your secret place. Best of luck to you. But don't forget to write.
I'm glad he made it too, and a bit envious, I must admit.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
LOL, if you go somewhere else do you have the "courage" to tell us what city you are moving to? Or is it just too risky?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 AM

4 posts, read 5,000 times
I don't know that oil prices alone are going to cause some sort of bust here; it's not just "oil". There's also natural gas wells here as well. Add to that many oil AND gas companies here have land / wells / active rigs in other states and in the Gulf as well. So a rigger/driller/roughneck (whatever...) can move his family here to work for a company but be sent out to another state to work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off. You can even be sent overseas to drill in the Ukraine, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan while working for that company. These jobs can pay upwards of $900 a day in country / on site to $300 a day in country / off site. That adds up to a lot of tax free pay you're sending home since the company covers your lodging and most of your other necessities.

If I wasn't already here with a good job, I'd move here. I'm 28 though, so maybe I don't count as "young people" anymore.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaGirl View Post
I don't know that oil prices alone are going to cause some sort of bust here; it's not just "oil". There's also natural gas wells here as well. Add to that many oil AND gas companies here have land / wells / active rigs in other states and in the Gulf as well. So a rigger/driller/roughneck (whatever...) can move his family here to work for a company but be sent out to another state to work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off. You can even be sent overseas to drill in the Ukraine, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan while working for that company. These jobs can pay upwards of $900 a day in country / on site to $300 a day in country / off site. That adds up to a lot of tax free pay you're sending home since the company covers your lodging and most of your other necessities.

If I wasn't already here with a good job, I'd move here. I'm 28 though, so maybe I don't count as "young people" anymore.
I'm curious, since you are new to the forum (and welcome), are you from Oklahoma or did you move here from somewhere else. And if you did move here from somewhere else, give us your thoughts and impressions.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,636 times
Quote:
Already starting. I feel normal now. Not angry all the time, social life is already taking off, landed a date... and I've been here just over a week. I'll enjoy my "secret" place. And you enjoy your dead end town and your "happiness" (though you're awfully belligerent and willing to start fights with strangers for having a different opinion than you ). And you're an Okie, so I suppose I have to spell it out for you: I didn't share details for privacy, I won't share now because I don't like you, I don't owe you anything, you have some weird obsession with what I do (hence why I said Okies are nosy) and if it were your business I'd share it.

And for the OP.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/up...abt=0002&abg=1

That's not conclusive that young people aren't moving to OKC, but people with no education or skills your age might be. May explain the cost of living people are so proud of there.

Quote:
Just have faith. You can do it too, but it will take dedication and drive. OKC would never get better for me and I had to cut it out of my life like the cancer it is, not learn to live with it. I have the awful residuals from it, but I'm adjusting to a new life quickly. People here aren't nearly as sensitive, they're better natured, they have a sense of humor... you know how life is outside. You should get out too. Leave OKC for the Okies... and I hope they stay far, far away from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: