Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times

Advertisements

Case44 started a similar thread in the Tulsa forums. As a child growing up in SE Oklahoma, most of the TV that we could get was from OkC. Channel 4 and 5 mostly; we didn't seem to pick up 9 very often.

I'm wondering. Are there any specific TV memories you can recall from your days growing up with OkC TV?

I used to watch this program on weekends (Sat. night) that always came on at 2 in the morning. It was like a "fright theatre" or something that always had scary movies or sci-fi. This was in the mid 70s.

It was hosted by some character in a cape (very, very subtle vampire undertones as you never saw any fangs or anything). Anyway this guy was grey haired with a beard. He very much looked the part. I'm trying to remember the name of this show and of the character.

He was a regular on OkC television; you would see him in commercials often, or promotions by the station.

Anyway, post your OkC TV memories here, and if you can help me figure out what show that was that I watched and who that guy was, I'll be grateful to ya!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Foreman Scotty is one I remember. He was always commenting that some boy had a headbone haircut. I think he was on every day at 4:00.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 AM

I remember foreman scotty, but only vaguely. That character in the OkC fright show or whatever was called "Count" something. Dang it, I wish I could remember who that was.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 AM

Update! I found it! The guy was called "Count Gregore." Found it on the web.. This is what he looks like today...

And this is what he looked like back in the day...

Here's a Halloween tribute to him. His name is John Ferguson.

YouTube - Halloween Tribute to Count Gregore

He is dubbed one of America's original horror show hosts.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Thanks, Synopsis, for this surprise. Most of what I remember with Oklahoma City is news-related stuff. In Muskogee, we used to actually pick up OkCity's NBC and CBS stations on our TV (KOCO was blocked out by Fort Smith's then-KFSA - bummer). And I remember a young Gary England on Channel 9 (whom my maternal grandfather preferred over my grandma's preferred Don Woods in Tulsa). England used to mark on his weather maps with markers. It was great fun. I also used to watch Channel 4 on weekend trips there. Remember Jim Williams and Robbie Robertson? You can catch some old Channel 4 station ID's on YouTube (they have some from the days as KTVY, but in my thoughts, I remember when it was WKY). I still enjoyed those as a kid and that was one reason to look forward to my trips.

And on one trip to Oklahoma City, I watched a Fred Norman weathercast on 5 in the mid-70s. Remember him? How about Action Theatre on Channel 34? Maybe you remember TV 25 when it first aired, long before it became a FOX station.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 AM

Hey case,
Yes, I remember Robbie Robertson quite well. I also remember when the station switched over from WKY to KTVY. I do recall Action Theater on 34 vaguely and when TV 25 first aired as well. I never saw Gary England as a kid because for some reason we could never pick up channel 9 until we moved to Allen and eventually got cable TV. But by then, I was already moved out of the house and across the world in the U.S. Army.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,580 times
foremanscottyskids.com
OkieLegacy - Oklahoma History Ring (broken link)

Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
foremanscottyskids.com
OkieLegacy - Oklahoma History Ring (broken link)
Wow, what an interesting site the okielegacy is flinty. It's bookmarked now. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:52 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hey case,
Yes, I remember Robbie Robertson quite well. I also remember when the station switched over from WKY to KTVY. I do recall Action Theater on 34 vaguely and when TV 25 first aired as well. I never saw Gary England as a kid because for some reason we could never pick up channel 9 until we moved to Allen and eventually got cable TV. But by then, I was already moved out of the house and across the world in the U.S. Army.
I think England has a few clips on YouTube, but they are much more recent. Channel 9 has some promo offerings and newscast openings from the 80s on YouTube, as well.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Case, wasn't TV25 KOKO tv? It's funny that I can even remember the call letters (at least I "think" those were the call letters). I've seen Gary England many times since the 80s, but not as a child growing up in the 70s. When did he start at channel 9?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City