Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:31 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,537,458 times

Advertisements

My Uncle The Rev. Dr. John Reed An Oklahoma City Pastor Is In Reuters A International Media Outlet Concerning The Closing Of A Racist Oklahoma University Frat over a racist song sung by the members
of that former Norman Oklahoma Oklahoma University Frat.

Oklahoma fraternity linked to racist song is closed and vacated | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,570,693 times
I'm glad people are coming out to take a stand against SAE. From its controversial racist past along with being connected with hazing deaths, I hope SAE has been going downhill from fewer and fewer members.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 PM

5,544 posts, read 9,472,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'm glad people are coming out to take a stand against SAE. From its controversial racist past along with being connected with hazing deaths, I hope SAE has been going downhill from fewer and fewer members.
Idiot kids. Need a good **s whoopin' to beat that racism out of 'em.

I was proud of the way President Boren and the University handled the situation. I'm hoping they bulldoze the SAE House......or better yet, move the offices of the Black Student Association in there.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,949,093 times
I have a moral dilemma. I have always believed that the best way to heal a wound is to give it air and sunshine. If you cover it up and hide it, it tends to fester and infect other parts of the body.

I'm not sure that Boren did it right. He has sent the message that "If you publicly portray yourself as a racist, you will be expelled or run off campus." This is going to drive such racist activities underground. I think I would have preferred Boren to take a stand and censured the fraternity without shutting it down. The fraternity should have been ostracized, denied access to Greek events, and let the censure of their peers in school bring about the demise of the fraternity.

As it is, any fraternity/sorority with racist views knows to keep it quiet or they will get kicked off campus. I think I would rather have it open to the sunshine and air. It would heal faster.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bass&Catfish2008.........Idiot kids. Need a good **s whoopin' to beat that racism out of 'em.

I was proud of the way President Boren and the University handled the situation. I'm hoping they bulldoze the SAE House......or better yet, move the offices of the Black Student Association in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE
Quote:
Goodpasture;38790030]I have a moral dilemma. I have always believed that the best way to heal a wound is to give it air and sunshine. If you cover it up and hide it, it tends to fester and infect other parts of the body.

I'm not sure that Boren did it right. He has sent the message that "If you publicly portray yourself as a racist, you will be expelled or run off campus." This is going to drive such racist activities underground. I think I would have preferred Boren to take a stand and censured the fraternity without shutting it down. The fraternity should have been ostracized, denied access to Greek events, and let the censure of their peers in school bring about the demise of the fraternity.

As it is, any fraternity/sorority with racist views knows to keep it quiet or they will get kicked off campus. I think I would rather have it open to the sunshine and air. It would heal faster.
I'm just a little bit different from you gentlemen I would have the Frat accept a African-American Pledge
now that's the good old fashion American Way...........LOL

Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM

17,704 posts, read 13,565,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I have a moral dilemma. I have always believed that the best way to heal a wound is to give it air and sunshine. If you cover it up and hide it, it tends to fester and infect other parts of the body.

I don't think Boren had a choice. It's too high profile and explosive a situation in the racial climate we are in. And I would go further to say that racism isn't really a problem at OU like is being portrayed. Probably no different than any other place.

This was not the culmination of some cauldron of hatred boiling over. Rather it was a bunch of drunk frat boys trying to be cute. The song likely was likely overheard by some OU SAEs who heard it from another chapter (most likely University of Texas SAE). They even got the UT version of the words wrong.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:55 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

I'm just a little bit different from you gentlemen I would have the Frat accept a African-American Pledge
now that's the good old fashion American Way...........LOL
So you would have some poor slob of a black pledge have to join a fraternity that hates him?

What kind of indignities do you provide for people you like? How about we make homophobes date gays? That'll teach them.

I think it is a stupid thing to do, but if you wanna hate white guys, or some white guy wants to hate black guys, then that is their right........and that IS the American way. They simply should not be allowed to cover it up. Now the students who were expelled will go to another college (Bob Jones maybe?) where their racism is not only accepted but cherished. And other racists will spend a lot more effort in hiding it than they did in the past. Boren is driving it underground.

I would rather had the SAE boys kept on campus, required to take a racial sensitivity class that covers ALL races, not just African American. And the class should become a prerequisite to graduation.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 PM

5,544 posts, read 9,472,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

Ha! No moral dilemmas here, but as you know GP, I'm much more simple-minded and backwater than you.

I say drop a 50 gallon can of *ss whoop on the offenders. They do it again drop another barrel, and another, and another if need be.

I know most folks don't agree with me in this *****-foot society we live in now, but some of the old ways need to make a come back....like puttin' a fellar in his place when he's acting like a jack-wagon. I'm glad the young men were expelled. Probably should be others.

The National SAE Administration shut down the OU chapter on Sunday night, before Boren made his pronouncement that the SAE house should be vacated. All those boys in that house, surely many who had nothing to do with the stupid chant, shared the same fate as the offenders. Guilt by association. In this racially charged and social media frenzied world we live in at the preset I do believe Boren made the right call. Many will say it's too stringent. I say tell the expelled frat boys they can still drink beer and chase girls....but now they can do it down by the river/lake like the rest of us Okies. They'll be fine.

Side Note:
I do think it was in poor taste that the media released the names of the young men who were expelled. (I saw a Nightline the other night that started out something like...."More racial tension in the American South. This time on the campus of the University of Oklahoma..." and then proceeded to actually release the names of the two boys who were expelled. Not very smart for their safety.)

Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM

846 posts, read 1,878,134 times
Quote:
You have not a clue to what you speak. The fraternity is large. They took swift action and have dealt with the situation.

Greeks vs GDIs...doesn't matter. Same **** happens when you want to join a click. Look at the club teams around campuses...same ritual behavior...more tomfoolery than violence...but each their own. Even varsity teams have rituals. Learned behavior...I believe it. You think that the term "SAE" is the only one that fits into that chant?

You are out of your mind if you do.

Last edited by midwestlaxer; 03-12-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Goodpasture;38793402]So you would have some poor slob of a black pledge have to join a fraternity that hates him?[/b]
Quote:
howest2008...........Yeah Buddy we African-American thrive in the climate of bitterness and sheer raw HATRED. ......what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger like eating our cereal every morning instead of crying into ours cereal every morning.....LOL
Quote:
Quote:
Goodpasture....What kind of indignities do you provide for people you like? How about we make homophobes date gays? That'll teach them.
[howest2008.....If I date a Gay we can't have sex hex vex , kiss , cuddle , make out or look deeply into each other eyes.
I think it is a stupid thing to do, but if you wanna hate white guys, or some white guy wants to hate black guys, then that is their right........and that IS the American way. They simply should not be allowed to cover it up. Now the students who were expelled will go to another college (Bob Jones maybe?) where their racism is not only accepted but cherished. And other racists will spend a lot more effort in hiding it than they did in the past. Boren is driving it underground.

I would rather had the SAE boys kept on campus, required to take a racial sensitivity class that covers ALL races, not just African American. And the class should become a prerequisite to graduation.
This has to be done like the United States of America Military Services , make them accept a token
African-American and learn how to act like grown men and live and work and socialize with people of a different race........LOL

howest2008 on Navy Bases with different races

howest2008 on Army Bases with person of different races

howest2008 on Marines Bases eating dinner with White Caucasian and theirs Family

howest2008 on Coast Guard Bases doing the Diversity Thing until it's dead...

howest2008 on Air Force Bases Sharing On Base Housing With A White/Caucasian ( What The Hey )...

Last edited by Howest2008; 03-12-2015 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City