Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:13 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job offer at Tinker and was wondering how all you Texans who moved to OKC have faired in your moves. There are obvious downsides to moving out of TX (no TX state income tax or taxes on food, etc), but I realize there are also upsides (lower property taxes for one).

I'm researching and considering all possible up/downsides, and I'm sure much of the financial stuff washes out in the end, but I was wondering how fellow Texans feel about their new OK/OKC home. I'm having a hard time letting go of Texas or the idea of it (Texas pride), so maybe I am just looking for some reassurance. The job would be a promotion for me.

One of the reasons I picked OKC is because it seemed like it has decent job opportunites without real big city congestion/density (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc). I am more familiar with Tulsa then OKC, but have not yet found an equal opportunity in Tulsa (although, still looking). I've always looked at OK as a TX cousin or sibling, so I don't feel the state rivalry that many do. Not that it really matters. I'm very good at adapting to the local environment and embracing it as my home.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from ya'll and as well as Okies who have made the move to Texas or Texas and back. Just curious for different stories and points-of-view, differences between the states and such.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 AM

664 posts, read 2,094,153 times
I was born and raised in Texas for the first 12yrs of my life and my family settled Texas before it was a State so I have deep roots there and proud of my heritage there. The weather can be quite different here depending on where in Texas you are from. There are a lot of misplaced Texans here and around OU/Texas football weekend it can be fun, but all in all being a misplaced Texan in Oklahoma isn't tooo bad. Not sure I will every claim to be an Okie though. In general the people here are nice and welcoming.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I have a possible job offer at Tinker and was wondering how all you Texans who moved to OKC have faired in your moves. There are obvious downsides to moving out of TX (no TX state income tax or taxes on food, etc), but I realize there are also upsides (lower property taxes for one).

I'm researching and considering all possible up/downsides, and I'm sure much of the financial stuff washes out in the end, but I was wondering how fellow Texans feel about their new OK/OKC home. I'm having a hard time letting go of Texas or the idea of it (Texas pride), so maybe I am just looking for some reassurance. The job would be a promotion for me.

One of the reasons I picked OKC is because it seemed like it has decent job opportunites without real big city congestion/density (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc). I am more familiar with Tulsa then OKC, but have not yet found an equal opportunity in Tulsa (although, still looking). I've always looked at OK as a TX cousin or sibling, so I don't feel the state rivalry that many do. Not that it really matters. I'm very good at adapting to the local environment and embracing it as my home.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from ya'll and as well as Okies who have made the move to Texas or Texas and back. Just curious for different stories and points-of-view, differences between the states and such.

Thanks!
I'm a born and bred 4th Generation Okie who moved to Texas and lived in Cowtown for over a decade. Enjoyed it but I never once thought of myself as a Texan nor did I want that as I'm Okie through and through.

If you can adjust to the Okie Pride (I know numerous Texans here in OKC who have) you will be fine. Get used to OU kickin' that Longhorn fanny and get used to no burnt orange you'll do great.

No, in all seriousness, Oklahoma and North Texas are very similar culturally. You'll do fine. Hope all goes well with the move. Blessings.

EDIT:
As I write this in the meeting I'm in, the guy directly to my right moved here from Texas twenty years ago. He loves it and has adjusted well.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Texas, Oklahoma, just places to live. What's with the whole Texas pride thing? Or Oklahoma pride? Who cares? Geez, in a few years they both be overrun with illegal aliens anyway. So all that stuff they did at the Alamo ain't gonna matter anyway. The only thing that Texas has over Oklahoma is some Costco stores in the Dallas/Forth Worth area. Otherwise the two states are indistinguishable from each other.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:05 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Here's a Texas expat................Justin McBride is an American former professional bull rider on the PBR's Built Ford Tough Series Tour. He is a two-time PBR World Champion (2005 and 2007), has a record 32 career wins, and was the first professional bull rider to earn more than $5 million in the course of his career.[1]

Hewas born in Texas and later moved to Mullen, Nebraska with his parents and older brother. He is of Irish descent on his father's side. His father, who worked on a ranch, rode bulls; his maternal grandfather was killed in a bull-riding event the year before McBride was born.[2] McBride excelled at bareback horse and bull riding, played eight-man football and wrestled. He attended the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on a rodeo scholarship; he left after a year to go pro at 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp-RvWKQkWk

Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 PM

778 posts, read 2,322,787 times
Grew up in the N Dallas suburbs and went to OU for college. Ended up staying for 5 years afterward and moved back about a year ago. Granted my roots are fairly deep in both states. But I really enjoyed my time in OKC. Texas and Central Oklahoma are not that different so it would be very similar cultures. People in both places are very warm and neighborly. Traffic is much lighter than any of the big TX cities. And even with a state income tax, the COL is lower up there.

The main drawback is in a smaller market you may not have the conveniences that you have in TX. Less nonstop flights (although I never had a problem getting out of town), less retail chains, etc. These things never bothered me but just something to consider. The weather also tends to run the extremes more in OK and will take some getting use to.

All in all, I would go for it. Moving to OK is probably the easiest move a Texan can make.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
I'm an Okie who has lived in Texas. I don't see much difference between DFW and OKC other than DFW is the center of commerce in the area.

DFW has more to offer by far but if your just a regular guy OKC has enough going on to give you some things to do and you can go to Dallas for things that bypass OKC.

As far as the rivalry goes, I don't think it is a big thing unless a Texan comes up here and spends most of their time turning their nose up at us and telling us how backward we are. Most Oklahomans realize that Texas is a great place and certainly realize that we are not in a position to "look down" at Texas or Texans.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I'm a Texan who moved to OKC after living the first 47 years of my life in various parts of Texas. We've really enjoyed it here. I was just telling my husband yesterday, on our way back from a family event in D/FW that I love how much more laid back Oklahoma is. Not all the traffic/congestion issues. The people are great here.

My only advice is do not come here and tell them how things are done in Texas. They don't care, and they shouldn't. That's a fast way to make people angry very quickly.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:18 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post

My only advice is do not come here and tell them how things are done in Texas. They don't care, and they shouldn't. That's a fast way to make people angry very quickly.
Yeah, we don't want our traffic lights turned sideways.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM

241 posts, read 431,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
As an Oklahoman, it doesn't make me angry in fact I agree with it.

Oklahoma doesn't have very standards and Texas does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City