Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

I was reading the Moore Newspaper (Moore American) and it's classifieds and i seen alot of apartments and many that are very inexpensive at that. I see that its between Norman and OKC so any thoughts one way or the other about it. Is it too close to U of Oklahoma as i wouldn't want to be in a college town as i remember them days were back in the 1980's if you get my drift.

Anyway it looks like it ranks up there with NW OKC as far as affordable rentals but i really need the locals here take on it.

thanks again...6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I was reading the Moore Newspaper (Moore American) and it's classifieds and i seen alot of apartments and many that are very inexpensive at that. I see that its between Norman and OKC so any thoughts one way or the other about it. Is it too close to U of Oklahoma as i wouldn't want to be in a college town as i remember them days were back in the 1980's if you get my drift.

Anyway it looks like it ranks up there with NW OKC as far as affordable rentals but i really need the locals here take on it.

thanks again...6/3
My niece and her husband live in Moore and they like it a lot. They have a nice new home and their property is bordered by a nature preserve. Moore's definitely worth a look.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
All I can say is have a tornado shelter if you plan on living there

Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Moore is nice and you are not in the OU football traffic area/party area. It does have a bad reputation as far as tornadoes.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Yes, the massive '99 F5 that went through there certainly promotes a certain stigma of Moore. I think of it this way; what's the likelihood of that happening again in a Moore resident's lifetime?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Yes, the massive '99 F5 that went through there certainly promotes a certain stigma of Moore. I think of it this way; what's the likelihood of that happening again in a Moore resident's lifetime?
Not very high but there's been a number of minor tornadoes go through there since.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Thanks for all the info guys.....i also see Moore has a very school for mechanical trades the ''MooreNorman Technology Center'' as they teach HVAC which i will explore if i choose to move out there. Although i imagine OKC has a good community college(s) for trades also.

Any thoughts on it and it's economy....in other words is it a bedroom community as most who live there work at Norman or OKC or does it have any viable industry besides service economy etc...

6/3

Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times
Actually, Moore is similar to OKC in a weird way. Both cities recieved lots of federal help/money through a disaster. OKCs was obviously a lot worse, but both changed for the better. Nicer homes/better environment and private money /investments inadvertently followed both disasters because of the massive amount of federal aid/attention/money poured in. In fact some Northsiders (OKCers label Northsiders/Southsiders to represent the overall position of where they live) felt like it cleaned up the Southside...This sounds terrible and really was used to imply that growth/cleaner environment resulted from the tornado. So Moore really picked itself up..I think that Toby Keith even lives there. The Westmoore area is also nicer.
I dont believe a twister would hit like that again for a long time....Very high odds against it. Lots of new developments are springing up and you can see them from I-35.
Here is a recent big development...

30 million 20 plex Warren luxury theatre is almost complete. The largest luxury movie theatre in the world.
Wichita theater chain targets Oklahoma City metro area | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET.com

Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Wow HT, those pics are nice and it looks like a beautiful place. It's too bad that Moore was hit so hard, but it may have gotten it done and overwith and will be safe for the next 100 years????

Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Actually, Moore is similar to OKC in a weird way. Both cities recieved lots of federal help/money through a disaster. OKCs was obviously a lot worse, but both changed for the better. Nicer homes/better environment and private money /investments inadvertently followed both disasters because of the massive amount of federal aid/attention/money poured in. In fact some Northsiders (OKCers label Northsiders/Southsiders to represent the overall position of where they live) felt like it cleaned up the Southside...This sounds terrible and really was used to imply that growth/cleaner environment resulted from the tornado. So Moore really picked itself up..I think that Toby Keith even lives there. The Westmoore area is also nicer.
I dont believe a twister would hit like that again for a long time....Very high odds against it. Lots of new developments are springing up and you can see them from I-35.
Here is a recent big development...

30 million 20 plex Warren luxury theatre is almost complete. The largest luxury movie theatre in the world.
Wichita theater chain targets Oklahoma City metro area | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET.com

Man, that is some fancy theater. Beautiful! I didn't know they had something like that in Moore. That is awesome. Thanks happytown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City