Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM

779 posts, read 927,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
The storm shelters ARE underground, even though they are located in the garage.

What are your chances of surviving a big tornado if you have one of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I'd say pretty close to 100% unless your slab got disturbed. I slept many a night in our storm cellar out in E Colorado. I remember one morning finding our barn and cattle missing but we were fine since we were below ground.

There is always a chance something large enough with crush weight would fall directly on it though.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
Quote:
Shouldn't storm shelters always be underground? What's the point of putting one in the garage? If the garage gets blown away, won't your storm shelter get blown away as well?
They make "Saferooms" that can be set up above ground that claim to survive an F5 tornado. I would prefer to be under ground myself.

Quote:
What about food? When someone's house gets destroyed, does OKC have food services at the ready?
We have the Red Cross that can provide food and shelter for those misplaced. Oklahoma citizens also commonly come together to help those that have lost everything.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
The storm shelters ARE underground, even though they are located in the garage.
99.99% there was one life lost last month due to her below ground shelter filling up with water from the excessive rain not only from the storm itself but because the rain we had received in the prior weeks that completely saturated the ground causing fairly widespread flooding. Not a common occurrence though.
You could also get stuck in ANY Shelter, but the shelters are normally registered with the city/county so that first responders know where to look to make sure you aren't in there.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
They make "Saferooms" that can be set up above ground that claim to survive an F5 tornado. I would prefer to be under ground myself.

We have the Red Cross that can provide food and shelter for those misplaced. Oklahoma citizens also commonly come together to help those that have lost everything.

99.99% there was one life lost last month due to her below ground shelter filling up with water from the excessive rain not only from the storm itself but because the rain we had received in the prior weeks that completely saturated the ground causing fairly widespread flooding. Not a common occurrence though.
You could also get stuck in ANY Shelter, but the shelters are normally registered with the city/county so that first responders know where to look to make sure you aren't in there.
When you say you can get stuck, do you mean if something heavy falls on it and stays there?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
When you say you can get stuck, do you mean if something heavy falls on it and stays there?
Right... but again that is why they are registered with the city/county.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Has there EVER been a documented case of someone being trapped in their cellar and died because something fell on the door?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 AM

and Died? I don't know... but have heard of people being trapped and rescued.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:50 PM

Hmmm, I was hoping Tornadoes in OKC would be a one off, but it sounds as though they're a very real part of you guys' reality. I would be in an apartment (and I would have to be on the top floor) if I ever moved to OKC, so if a tornado hit, I would be SOL. Either that or I would be knocking on one of you guys' door, asking if you had any extra room in your cellar!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Yes, like a house. But like someone else said, people go door to door looking for anyone trapped.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:54 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Has there EVER been a documented case of someone being trapped in their cellar and died because something fell on the door?
Not that I can recall. I have heard of being trapped and drowning........tornadoes frequently come with a lot of rain. Also, if you have a full basement, build a "safe room" big enough to hold you and your family but pretty small. You don't want a house falling in on you, and strong walls separated by about 6' will prevent major components of the house from collapsing on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City