Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Oklahoma has great burger joints! I found this out after working on the East Coast. Have any of you all had the misfortune of going to Five Burger and Fries? Before they came to Tulsa I had a chance to try one in Wichita, so I tried it and after scarfing down one of their burgers I was thinking, ok what am I missing??? I kept hearing all this hype and was waiting for the "OMG" moment, but it never materialized.

When I was working up in Allentown,PA I was always being drug off to FGB&F with coworkers. They would all go on and on about how wonderful their burgers were and so on. Up in PA I sadly found out FGB&F was as good as it got as far as burger stands go.

Yeh, I'm with you, Okie. I'm not sold on Five Guys at all. When I lived in DFW a few years back they were talkin' it up....it wasn't anything special. My wife goes to "Smash Burger" from time to time. I guess so they can mix veggies into the meat. I told her that was very unOkie of her. She did live in the Midwest(Indiana) for a bit, so maybe they muddied her burger palette.

I've said it a 1000x, just give me a Braum's 1/3 pounder for less than $4. It's way better than anything the Yankee joints bring to the table. Heck, Whataburger is pretty dayum good! These other places on the list from Southern Living will definitely get a visit from me.....hopefully SOONER than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I think it's funny that big chains come to Oklahoma, produce their beef based products, and close down soon after. I remember when Tony Roma's opened with a lot of hype. They ceased operation after about a year. I tried them and was not impressed. fuddruckers on 71st same storey, Famous Dave's? don't make me laugh. There isn't many steakhouses out there that can compete with Spudder, or Freddies.

It seems that what is considered great elsewhere is standard here.
I think I made the mistake of eating ribs at Tony Roma's (must have been sauced up that day!) and was very unimpressed. Glad that place is gone. No way it hangs with our burgers or our BBQ.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:25 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
They combine quality and quantity. One cobbler with ice cream will feed a table of four. Or one hungry teenage nephew. I'm fortunate to work 15 minutes from Meers, so whenever I get out-of-town visitors to the range that's where lunch is. Except Tuesday, and don't forget cash-only. You gotta love the ambience there.

Meers Store was thankfully missed by the tornado on Saturday; the VFD station wasn't quite so lucky, door damage, so the Tour de Meers bicycle race next weekend helps benefit the fire department.
Whataburger and Braum's are both my favorites. Five Guys is too expensive. It will make it in Norman, but not here in the boonies. No one wants to pay $23 for two people for burger and fries. I still give it a thumbs up, though.

I hope the Meers store survived the flooding. They are right near the creek.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-residents...rticle/5422340

Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Whataburger and Braum's are both my favorites. Five Guys is too expensive. It will make it in Norman, but not here in the boonies. No one wants to pay $23 for two people for burger and fries. I still give it a thumbs up, though.

I hope the Meers store survived the flooding. They are right near the creek.

Oklahoma residents lose belongings to flood, but thankful they are alive | News OK

From all I have seen they did. They're on higher ground. Not so for folks a mile west of me on West Cache Creek.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
From all I have seen they did. They're on higher ground. Not so for folks a mile west of me on West Cache Creek.
Glad to hear ya'll made it. Sorry for the other folks. I overheard one guy the other day asking if there was a special on Gopher Wood......we might just have to build us an Okie Ark! This rain has been crazy....David Payne says there's more to come.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:09 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Glad to hear ya'll made it. Sorry for the other folks. I overheard one guy the other day asking if there was a special on Gopher Wood......we might just have to build us an Okie Ark! This rain has been crazy....David Payne says there's more to come.
Hopefully over for a while, at least... 18.85" here in May.

On topic, I am glad they brought an S&B to Lawton. Decent burgers, and they always seem to play at least one Ramones song when I'm there.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Hopefully over for a while, at least... 18.85" here in May.

On topic, I am glad they brought an S&B to Lawton. Decent burgers, and they always seem to play at least one Ramones song when I'm there.
Ramones is one of my all time favorite bands. I saw them open up for Black Sabbath back when Ozzy was still with Sabbath.

When we were kids living away from any large city, getting a hamburger from the local bowling alley was the best! Those small towns have some diners which are classics as far as burgers go. When you guys find a greek hamburger place that serves up a hot pastrami, let me know. And Subway doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City