Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,677 times

Advertisements

we will be moving to the area in a few months... ill be working in the norman area. both my wife and i are in love with the edmond area, but I'm really not sure i can handle that commute daily. when we timed it a few weeks ago it took 40min with no traffic @ 730pm. can anyone give commute times from the oakdale area? really not sure that's going to save much time. i really don't want to spend 2hrs of my day in the car. we have an upcoming senior, a soon to be 1st grader and a 3yr old. so, schools are very important!!! any thoughts about north side of norman (east of i35)??? specific schools in the area we were looking are (washington elem, irving middle and norman north high). the specific addition we'er interested in is called frost creek. its a gated subdivision on robinson between 24th & 36th. we will probably be renting for a year, and want to rent in the same schools that our kids will remain after we decide to build in a year or so... any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 03:55 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
It depends on where you are working in Norman to a great extent concerning Oakdale. Fortunately you are going against the flow of traffic once you get past down town. I'd live in Norman if it were me simply because you will be working where you live.

The northeast side of Norman is just now getting developed. It's still pretty peaceful out there.

As far as schools. Washington is really good. Irving is not so good and Norman North is excellent. The problem with Irving is that it gets more of the riff raff and transient kids who live in the areas adjacent to Irving. The square mile that Irving is located in is widely considered the worst area of Norman. With that being said, I have lived in that square mile and never really had any problems.

The fact that they are developing east Norman puts more kids with stable families in Irving instead of the transient type families that live around the school.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:09 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
What about the Edmond area appeals to you the most that you don't think you could get in Norman?

I am moving to Norman this August (working at OU), and I am looking for places in Moore and Norman. I do not have children, so this is obviously different in that regards. But schools in Norman are quite good nonetheless. From my brief time there, I heard Truman Elementary is a great one - I think that is on the west side of I-35. Maybe there are homes there you could rent or look into?

Moore OK also has great schools. Have you looked there?

Old 05-31-2015, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,677 times
Attraction of Edmond: schools, new and established neighborhoods that appear like every homeowner cares about their neighborhoods appearance, awesome entrances, landscaping and nice big trees for "almost" every addition...
Norman seems to offer a great elementary, rough middle school and great HS... Or rough elementary, great middle, so-so HS... Not a consistent great throughout. We don't want the west side of I-35, simply because I want room between my neighbor and myself.
I'm currently thinking that Frost Creek (Robinson between 24th/36th) is looking like our best option. Gated, 1ac lots, all city utilities and all pretty good schools (with the exception of middle)...

Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,099 times
It's really depends what time you are leaving to and coming from work. In the best of circumstances, 35-40 minutes, but during the height of rush hour, probably near a hour. Oakdale has mature grown trees, great schools, and is a bit more "country" than other areas.

Around here, people refer to West Norman as little Edmond which bothers many normanites. The schools are good, nicer houses, somewhat bland. There aren't as many trees in West Norman compared to Edmond. The area Robinson between 24/36 is a nice area also. I don't see why you should commute from Edmond to Norman unless your spouse is working in Edmond or NW OKC. Norman is good too.

But if your question is whether people do it? They do. I know several that make the commute every day.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:15 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
It's really depends what time you are leaving to and coming from work. In the best of circumstances, 35-40 minutes, but during the height of rush hour, probably near a hour. Oakdale has mature grown trees, great schools, and is a bit more "country" than other areas.

Around here, people refer to West Norman as little Edmond which bothers many normanites. The schools are good, nicer houses, somewhat bland. There aren't as many trees in West Norman compared to Edmond. The area Robinson between 24/36 is a nice area also. I don't see why you should commute from Edmond to Norman unless your spouse is working in Edmond or NW OKC. Norman is good too.

But if your question is whether people do it? They do. I know several that make the commute every day.
As both an former Edmondite and Normanite I just don't think it is a real accurate comparison. West Norman is very much like west Edmond though.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Did you end up moving to Frost Creek? And if so, how do you like it? We are also looking at that neighborhood, but are a little concerned that it is still mostly undeveloped.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As both an former Edmondite and Normanite I just don't think it is a real accurate comparison. West Norman is very much like west Edmond though.
This is a true fact. East/southeast/north edmond differ from West Edmond.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 AM

171 posts, read 190,311 times
I did this drive for a year 2-3 times a week living in South Norman and going to Far northwest Edmond to help my brother.

From what I noticed from 3-7PM traffic is HEAVY !!!.And OKIES LOVE driving the speed limit or less on the PASSING LANE

so figure 35-45 minutes to be safe.

Brother moved to Dallas,So glad that routine is over lol

Old 07-20-2015, 12:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
From what I noticed from 3-7PM traffic is HEAVY !!!.And OKIES LOVE driving the speed limit or less on the PASSING LANE
This is true. It's a small town thing that people are afraid to go more than 55 mph, even in the passing lane and even when traffic is light. There are few places where traffic moves slower than it does in OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City