Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,088 times

Advertisements

My family and I may be relocating to okc from Arkansas for my husbands job. It's near Edmond. We have 2 boys. 8 years and 18 months old. We are looking in Edmond, Yukon, and mustang as potential places to live. We'll be renting at first. I homeschool my oldest son, but may put him back in public school if the schools are good. He has adhd and has other issues (he's more or less a typical 8 year with underlying issues that we are dealing with). So any schools that are better dealing with kids with issues (he's in speech, pt, ot right now).

I'm looking for any relative information about those 3 places. What are some things to do as a family and some kid friendly things for my kids? Is there like a boys and girls club that has sports as part of the program. My son loves to play baseball. Good activities for kids like karate, swim lessons, learning clubs or learning opportunities for my boys. Good safe parks in those areas?

Sorry for all the questions. We are coming from a small city that I know where everything is to knowing nothing about okc and things for my kids. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
All three places are experiencing a lot of growth right now. Of the three I'd personally go with Mustang. Edmond is already overcrowded and the areas around the schools, where you will be spending a lot of your time, have a lot of traffic. However, Edmond has the nicest renewed/refurbished downtown area with some great eclectic shops and restaurants. Edmond will also look the most like Arkansas as it has heavily wooded and forested areas.

Yukon, for it's part, has the nicest facilities of the schools. For example, Yukon's football field is nicer than the facilities at most sizable colleges. Great community there in Yukon, it might a little much for ya'll on the crazy kid (parent!) football culture.

Mustang still retains a bit of its small towniness, not a lot, but moreso than Yukon or Edmond, and sounds like a better fit for ya'll coming from a smaller populated area. All three towns will have high quality kid activities galore as all three are suburban eutopias.

Blessings on your move. Welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:50 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,037 times
Bass nailed it pretty good. I still think Edmond is a good choice. They are building more schools in Edmond district. If you really want wooded, perhaps east Edmond or possibly around the Oakdale school district of Edmond. Edmond has better public schools than Yukon and Mustang but both Yukon/Mustang have great school districts. There is more land out that way and more wooded/trees and hills. There are tons of activities for kids in Edmond... (Yukon and Mustang also have great programs) Edmond is probably the most safe however Yukon and Mustang are also both safe.

NW OKC is expanding rapidly and there is a lot of new development. This is close to Edmond. Yukon is also expanding rapidly. As Bass said, Mustang has a smaller town vibe and is also safe. You should come visit and explore all three of these options one weekend. Edmond has a nice walkable downtown. Edmond is also home to UCO (a good university) and Oklahoma Christian (another good college).

Old 09-24-2015, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,019 times
I have a rental house available now and live in the Yukon Surrey hills addition. Nice neighborhood with elementary school in neighborhood. Very quiet and out of the way but access to turnpike for edmond commute apprx 15min. and nwexp 5 min away. Yukon schools great beautiful new high school. Let me know if interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City