Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,357 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to OK, near OKC, from CT. I am looking for a slower, less stressful lifestyle. Does anyone have any suggestions about employment agencies? Any tips about moving? Any areas to avoid?
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Anita, I think if you look through the OKC forum all your questions about areas to avoid will be answered. I have no idea about employment agencies, but newsok.com may have some listed in the classifieds. It will definitely be slower paced in Oklahoma and COL much less, too. Good luck and welcome.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Move to Stillwater, if it's not too far from Oklahoma City for you. You would be getting away from typical Oklahoma suburbia and to a populace mostly committed to OSU, rather than the daily commute to Oklahoma City or Tulsa. The state employment office is on the east side of town. If you need a boyfriend, you could hang out on the strip or downtown. Or if that is too wild, then go to church on Sunday morning.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Anita,

I think StillwaterTownie just threw his name in the ring for the role of boyfriend.

If he doesn't pan out I'm sure some of these other young whippersnappers will step up!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM

Nah, Stillwater needs hundreds more people to move there so it can go over 50,000 people and be eligible for metro status by 2020. It might then attract more cool stores. Hopefully, the nightmarish traffic congestion on N. Perkins Rd. can be addressed by then. It needs expanded to 7 lanes. Meanwhile, it would help to stop approving of massive apartment complexes along there. At least one of them was denied, because residents of a neighborhood of single family homes didn't want to live next to it.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
I recently ran across this article on a neighborhood in Edmond, but it touches on some local amenities in that area if you're interested in north OKC. [url=http://frenchconstruction.com/a-complete-guide-to-fallbrook-neighborhood/]Fallbrook Neighborhood in Edmond, Oklahoma[/url]

I think any of the outskirt areas of OKC are great for slower paced living, Edmond, Piedmont, Yukon, even Mustang is growing at a fast rate right now. If you work in the city and live in one of these towns, the drive is still only 20-40 minutes into town. There are obvious areas to avoid (Midwest and Del City get a bad rep, as does Moore...mostly because of tornadoes), but almost every town has pros and cons. It's easy to live on a little land and commute.

Energy is huge here, most people who move here from other states are working for Devon, Chesapeake, AE, or one of the other energy companies. Other places to look might be Loves, Hertz, The Oklahoma, Hobby Lobby...hope this helps!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita McGahee View Post
I am thinking about moving to OK, near OKC, from CT. I am looking for a slower, less stressful lifestyle. Does anyone have any suggestions about employment agencies? Any tips about moving? Any areas to avoid?
Thank you in advance.
Upon second thought, I would avoid the OKC area entirely, since it's close to the earthquakes. Same with Stillwater. You never know when the next record breaking earthquake is going to happen. Tulsa is further away from earthquakes and so is safer, while still living in a good sized Oklahoma metro area.

However, most Oklahomans have become quite complacent about the earthquakes and don't seem to mind them much. Not all that many people feel them, since they usually center out in the middle of nowhere.

http://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes.php

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-18-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 02:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Upon second thought, I would avoid the OKC area entirely, since it's close to the earthquakes. Same with Stillwater. You never know when the next record breaking earthquake is going to happen. Tulsa is further away from earthquakes and so is safer, while still living in a good sized Oklahoma metro area.

However, most Oklahomans have become quite complacent about the earthquakes and don't seem to mind them much. Not all that many people feel them, since they usually center out in the middle of nowhere.

Oklahoma Earthquakes
I don't even notice 'em. Someone told me the other day that we have a 4.0. I wasn't even aware.

Along with fear of tornadoes, a newfound multimedia frenzy surrounding Oklahoma's earth quakes is sure to keep transplants out keeping our SouthXSouthwest culture intact.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I don't even notice 'em. Someone told me the other day that we have a 4.0. I wasn't even aware.

Along with fear of tornadoes, a newfound multimedia frenzy surrounding Oklahoma's earth quakes is sure to keep transplants out keeping our SouthXSouthwest culture intact.
While the law of supply and demand helps keep the cost of living down.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

You simply have to be close enough to a 4.0 earthquake's center to sense it, possibly with 25 miles.

Anyway, this is surely the attitude most Oklahomans have toward the earthquakes as they continue to happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City