Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times

Advertisements

We are moving out of state to Colorado in June. We obviously have the option of renting a Uhaul and treking there our selves. We just thought we would at least check into a few moving companies to see what they would charge. Who knows, maybe it will be worth the extra money for some peace of mind. Of course, that depends on how much extra money we are talking about. Does anyone have any solid recommendations they could make to us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
Lots of moving companies...
But here is a great option w/o the hassle and pain of moving. Time is money. If you can kill the time and problems with moving then the added expense is worth it IMO. Good luck.
PODS Oklahoma City | Oklahoma City Self Storage and Oklahoma City Moving Solutions for the greater Oklahoma City area. - 16k -

Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM

52 posts, read 219,267 times
I couldn't agree more. When we moved here from Indiana we did both a POD and a moving company. The POD was on time and delivered as I packed it. Our moving company on the other hand was 3 weeks late and 2 maybe 3 boxes were lost. If I ever move long distance again it will only be with a POD or 2.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_ View Post
I couldn't agree more. When we moved here from Indiana we did both a POD and a moving company. The POD was on time and delivered as I packed it. Our moving company on the other hand was 3 weeks late and 2 maybe 3 boxes were lost. If I ever move long distance again it will only be with a POD or 2.
We're just about to sign with a moving company to move us from NJ to OK at the beginning of March. What is the POD system like? I've seen them in driveways, but I thought they were just "storage" things. How does it work?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
We're just about to sign with a moving company to move us from NJ to OK at the beginning of March. What is the POD system like? I've seen them in driveways, but I thought they were just "storage" things. How does it work?
Here's a quote from their website:

"PODS revolutionized moving and storage by introducing the concept of portable storage containers. With PODS, portable storage containers come to you, so you can pack at your leisure. When you're ready, we'll move your PODS container across town, across the country or to one of our secure Storage Center facilities."

Sounds like a better and cheaper way to move IMO. You pack at your leisure, and when you're ready to have the POD (or PODS) moved, they move it for you.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:02 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Here's a quote from their website:

"PODS revolutionized moving and storage by introducing the concept of portable storage containers. With PODS, portable storage containers come to you, so you can pack at your leisure. When you're ready, we'll move your PODS container across town, across the country or to one of our secure Storage Center facilities."

Sounds like a better and cheaper way to move IMO. You pack at your leisure, and when you're ready to have the POD (or PODS) moved, they move it for you.
thanks, i'll have to check them out.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 AM

52 posts, read 219,267 times
They also offer the service of packing I believe. Another bonus IMO is they do not charge by weight.

If you really want to compare apples to apples ask your moving company to give you a quote on a GUARANTEED delivery date not the range of several days because there is little to no recourse if they don't hit the delivery window.

On first appearance PODS will seem much higher but after you factor in the no chance of loss and the guaranteed delivery date it becomes well worth it IMO.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
We checked on PODS...and it will be $4600 to get us to Denver. Whereas the Uhaul is just under $700 plus the cost of gas, a few counseling "vent" sessions and lots of alcohol (not while driving) to get me through getting there with all our stuff and our 4 furry kids. Not sure yet, what we'll do. The cheap part of me is telling myself we can go Uhaul and save some serious cash for some fun later in Colorado. What to do...what to do?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
We checked on PODS...and it will be $4600 to get us to Denver. Whereas the Uhaul is just under $700 plus the cost of gas, a few counseling "vent" sessions and lots of alcohol (not while driving) to get me through getting there with all our stuff and our 4 furry kids. Not sure yet, what we'll do. The cheap part of me is telling myself we can go Uhaul and save some serious cash for some fun later in Colorado. What to do...what to do?
Wow! We used ABF U-Pack to move the contents of a 3BD 2BA (stuffed!) house from CA to OK in 2004 and it was just over $2000. U-Haul was twice that cost. They transported our stuff and we were 'free' to make the drive with 2 adults, 2 teenagers, 2 fur-babies and 1 reptile at our leisure. We loved it!

ABF gives the option of "Pods" or full size Truck Trailers.

Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City