Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:48 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I agree with Rubi, ATLDude has just had a hard time here. It shouldn't be reflective of your experience here in Oklahoma at all unless you just buy into his self-fulfilling prophecy.
Its very reflective, and its not just about being single here as I've mentioned many times. Its the lack of inclusiveness of the people, the horrible weather, the difficulty getting a direct flight anywhere (if you enjoy travel), the closed mindedness, lack of trees and mountains (just brown here), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 6,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Its very reflective, and its not just about being single here as I've mentioned many times. Its the lack of inclusiveness of the people, the horrible weather, the difficulty getting a direct flight anywhere (if you enjoy travel), the closed mindedness, lack of trees and mountains (just brown here), etc.
No it isn't reflective...It's pretty darn green right now. The cross timbers, or the border between the wooded region of the Appalachians and Ozarks to the east and the great plains, runs through the center of Oklahoma City and Oklahoma. There are less trees on the west side of OKC (and Oklahoma in general), so if you enjoy trees stick to the central and east side of the metro. I'm a transplant and have not experienced any of the lack of inclusiveness or close-mindedness you constantly ramble on about (outside of some of the stupidity that flows from the capital).

As someone who flies weekly, I have to laugh at your take on travel. Our airport is extremely easy to get in and out of (many times I arrive less than 45 minutes before my flight, can get from my car to the gate in 5-10 minutes and still get a bag checked), and we have direct flights to 22 airports which cover most major US cities. I've found that the time saved through the convenience and location of our airport (compared to larger airports) more than makes up for layover times in most cases for destinations that do require a connection. I travel both for business and vacation, so again, other than just giving yourself an excuse to complain, I'm not sure what your problem is.

On the weather, we have four distinct seasons so if you like the temperatures to be 65-85 year round, you may have an issue. However outside of the occasional crazy spring weather, it isn't bad.

Atlguy had a bad experience here and his constant negative opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Come with an open mind and you will likely enjoy it here.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:12 PM

43 posts, read 111,797 times
Thank you for everyone's input. Coming from Boston to Tampa was an adjustment...the crime, strip clubs, lack of education, broken school systems, child molesters, etc in Florida. But I built my own community outside of that and managed to connect and build a life. Any change of location is not easy.....theres always demographics, culture, etc unique to each city. The hard part will be being away from my siblings or parents.....something Ive never done. But my husband's job provides better opportunities for my son financially speaking. And he'd be happier in this job, so I believe so I plan to try to make it work.

I have never lived in less than 4,000 people per square mile and OKC has 900. So I'm thinking the metropolitan area would be more comfortable for me. The Bricktown area is impractical with a toddler and dog, plus pricey. How is the historic district though where I could get a house and yard but still near the city? There's Crown Heights, Edgemere Park, Jefferson Park, and Mesta Park. Is one historic area better in crime? I also heard the east side is not as safe as the west?

I have heard some parts of OKC have drive by shootings but when I looked at a crime map it seemed very safe but internet data is not always accurate!

Sorry for rambling. I've never visited the Midwest a lot of what I'm hearing is making me feel more prepared for a big change. I know you were voted the friendliest city in an article!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Northwest may have some questionable areas, but generally, it's the best place to live. Southwest does have some nice parts. Best to avoid Northeast and Southeast. I lived in OKC many years, but have been away too long to know about the historical sites.

My daughter lives near NW 36th and Independence and likes it fine. My son lives farther out near NW Expressway and MacArthur.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:20 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Welcome to Oklahoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora72 View Post
Thanks! So far everyone has been very nice. And some renters don't mind the dog once I call and ask if they'd like to meet him and see how well natured he is. I guess I got bitter today because I paid a home trainer lots of money, he's house broken, great with kids and my aunts dog tries to bite kids, craps and pisses everywhere in the house, is aggressive toward other dogs, steals food butcould live anywhere because the dog is a size of a football!
I have a friend who rents in Midwest City and she has a wolf/dog mix. But she rents a house, not an apartment.

BTW, the "lack of trees" is only prevalent on the western side of the state, which is the southern plains. We live in central Oklahoma and there are a LOT of trees here.

And our winters are very mild compared to the NE part of the U.S.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:26 PM

Great! Looks like I have enough info to look at a few places and get the ball rolling! Thanks again!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora72 View Post
Thank you for everyone's input. Coming from Boston to Tampa was an adjustment...the crime, strip clubs, lack of education, broken school systems, child molesters, etc in Florida. But I built my own community outside of that and managed to connect and build a life. Any change of location is not easy.....theres always demographics, culture, etc unique to each city. The hard part will be being away from my siblings or parents.....something Ive never done. But my husband's job provides better opportunities for my son financially speaking. And he'd be happier in this job, so I believe so I plan to try to make it work.

I have never lived in less than 4,000 people per square mile and OKC has 900. So I'm thinking the metropolitan area would be more comfortable for me. The Bricktown area is impractical with a toddler and dog, plus pricey. How is the historic district though where I could get a house and yard but still near the city? There's Crown Heights, Edgemere Park, Jefferson Park, and Mesta Park. Is one historic area better in crime? I also heard the east side is not as safe as the west?

I have heard some parts of OKC have drive by shootings but when I looked at a crime map it seemed very safe but internet data is not always accurate!

Sorry for rambling. I've never visited the Midwest a lot of what I'm hearing is making me feel more prepared for a big change. I know you were voted the friendliest city in an article!
Don't take that number seriously, much of OKC proper is rural so the population density is skewed to be much less than it really is. OKC actually has several areas that have population densities of 6,000+. The central loop has a population density of about 4,400/sq mi, south loop has about 4,800/sq mi, the north central loop about 3,900/sq mi, the west and northwest side combined about 4,100/sq mi, and the far south side about 4,000/sq mi.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 PM

101 posts, read 122,705 times
Cora72, we're not really the Midwest, but I hope you love it here anyway Welcome to Oklahoma!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
Picture I took of downtown OKC from the northwest, and the "lack of trees". I just moved to OKC in late July and I love it!

Old 10-10-2015, 05:17 PM

Great pic! Where did you move from? Studying Okie, anything that doesn't neighbor the ocean in the eastern US seems Midwest to me, lol! I guess you are correct. We will be moving in a month and are getting ready to pack. I am heading a little later than hubby so I can have Thanksgiving with family. I'm sure I will have questions or commentary when I get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City