Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,855 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Oklahoma City next month and am in SERIOUS need of advice on which hospital/clinic to work for as a nurse. I know very little about the area. As a local, what would you consider the best hospital to work for? What is each hospital known for? What kind of reputation do they have? Who under staffs and over-works their employees? Pay is not a huge concern. I would rather take a lower paying position and be happy where I am, however I am curious to know who is known as the best/lowest paying hospitals. I have tried to look into Integris, Community, Mercy, and O.U. Is there a big difference between Integris Baptist and Integris Southwest as fsr as working conditions? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,434,510 times
You mentioned the four best hospitals in the OKC area.

They're all fairly close in terms of reputation. I hear lots of good things about Integris (Baptist Medical Center) and OU. Mercy and Southwest Medical are fine as well.

I wouldn't say that there is much of a difference between them perception-wise. You'd probably need to get ahold of medical professional(s) in those hospitals and get a pro/con list.

Blessings on your move and welcome to The Sooner State!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 PM

I would think that Mercy and Integris would offer the best pay. Not sure though.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I will continue to look into those.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:54 PM

95 posts, read 153,044 times
I forgot who actually runs it, but OU Medical Center is only affiliated with "The University of Oklahoma" by name. Just something to keep in mind in case you had any assumptions.

Seems that St. Anthony and Integris are the top ones I see with a lot of ad placement.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM

30 posts, read 62,254 times
HCA owns OUMC and I worked there for 5 1/2 years. Very intense pt acuity which is great for experience, but easy to get burned out on after awhile. My main complaint there was poor leadership from managers/supervisors and high turnover. I currently work at St Anthony downtown and it is a pretty good place. I have been there 5yrs now and I feel it has more "character" from being a Catholic hospital. They are big in the community and a lot of the staff I come across have been there 20+ years. Pay is decent--I am a per diem nurse therefor I cannot speak for benefits.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,374,983 times
What about Deaconess? I've been in Deaconess, St Anthony and Mercy. Except for one bad situation at Mercy, my treatment at all three has been good, but I think Deaconess is the best.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:19 PM

I need to look more into Deaconess I guess! For some reason you don't hear much about them. The more people I speak with and the more research I do, I am finding great things out about Mercy and St. Anthony. O.U. seems to be a wonderful place to work, just extremely busy! Integris is the only hospital that kind of scares me. I haven't heard wonderful things.

McBride Orthopedic and Community Hospital kind of stay under the radar too, I guess. I don't hear much about them?

Old 04-21-2016, 05:27 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,374,983 times
It's been so long, I can't recall why I didn't like McBride, but I didn't.

My problem with Mercy had to do with one nurse who slammed my chart down on my abdomen and I was there awaiting major abdominal surgery. When I reacted, she did it again, asking, "Oh, did that hurt?" My daughter was there and saw it happen. I told my doctor about it, but a nurse listened in and my doctor was leaving on vacation after my surgery. Nothing was done about the nurse.

Her co-workers took it out on me and my care made me miserable. I was there for a long 2 weeks. I had to return a few months later for more surgery in same place and my doctor made certain I was put in a different area of the hospital.

I'm sure that nurse had mental problems.

Last edited by Rubi3; 04-21-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriaknight12 View Post
I need to look more into Deaconess I guess! For some reason you don't hear much about them. The more people I speak with and the more research I do, I am finding great things out about Mercy and St. Anthony. O.U. seems to be a wonderful place to work, just extremely busy! Integris is the only hospital that kind of scares me. I haven't heard wonderful things.

McBride Orthopedic and Community Hospital kind of stay under the radar too, I guess. I don't hear much about them?
OU Medical has great care, but the layout of the hospital is pretty rough. It's like a maze.

Rubi, that's sad what that nurse did to you. Solution?......carry a tazer at all times, yes, even before major surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City