Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,412 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

I just graduated college and will be moving to the Oklahoma City area to start a new job in January. I've been looking for a rental house for the past few weeks and may have found a place that fits me well.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the good and bad areas of the city. I was hoping for some advice on where to look thats relatively safe. Currently I am interested in a home on SW 49th Street. Do any of yall have any information on that neighborhood specifically?

Thanks so much,

Connor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 10:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_slep View Post
Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

I just graduated college and will be moving to the Oklahoma City area to start a new job in January. I've been looking for a rental house for the past few weeks and may have found a place that fits me well.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the good and bad areas of the city. I was hoping for some advice on where to look thats relatively safe. Currently I am interested in a home on SW 49th Street. Do any of yall have any information on that neighborhood specifically?

Thanks so much,

Connor
Definitely avoid that area. I would say if the address is "SW" anything, avoid it unless its below 89th St. Keep in mind that there are two sets of numbered streets in OKC, south and north. Going south or north, the higher the number, the farther south or north you are.

What type of area are you looking for and where will you be working?

Old 11-21-2016, 10:50 PM

I will be working out of Norman. However, my girlfriend will be attending school in Oklahoma city, so were attempting to find a reasonable half way point. I am open to living in any place thats reasonably safe and an easy commute for both of us.

Really i'm just looking for a small 1-2 bedroom home under $800 a month. (hopefully this is possible)

Any ideas? Thanks for the advice on the SW area.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_slep View Post
I will be working out of Norman. However, my girlfriend will be attending school in Oklahoma city, so were attempting to find a reasonable half way point. I am open to living in any place thats reasonably safe and an easy commute for both of us.

Really i'm just looking for a small 1-2 bedroom home under $800 a month. (hopefully this is possible)

Any ideas? Thanks for the advice on the SW area.
Moore might be a good option if you are simply looking for a half way point. It's safe and it should be easy to find something in that price range. However, you also have to deal with the higher tornado risk if you live there. It's an easy commute though to either downtown OKC or Norman.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:35 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Do yourself a favor and don't move here! If yu must, avoid SW anything, like bawac said. Moore is tornado central, so not a good place either. Where's the job? I'd just commute from North OKC.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:52 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Your commute will be regular while her class schedule may be somewhat mixed. Have you looked in Norman?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Moore will do fine as long as you have a storm shelter in the backyard or a safe room in the house.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Moore has had several tornadoes but stastically it is no more prone than any other place in the central part of Oklahoma. It's just been bad luck. Probably the best place to equalize the commute, but if you are young, Norman is easily the best option of any place just based on the fact that the University provides so much to do.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the responses!

I have settled on a house in Spencer, Oklahoma, off Post road just on the city line.

Is this a decent area? After my first quick visit to the home, it seems to be a little more in the country.
Is there anything I should be aware of as far as safety and crime? Or any other tidbits about this location that you can offer up!

I really appreciate all your help !

Thanks,
Connor

Old 12-14-2016, 02:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Connor,

You'll be fine.

Interesting fact about the Spencer area is you'll see folks of all skin tones riding horses on the side of the road. There's even an old rodeo at 36th and Westminister.

Have fun on your new adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City