Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 PM

52 posts, read 218,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
and the last 1/3 will never see development because of its remote proximity.
I don't know that I would go so far as to say never. Sure it will be a long ways down the road but I think with what OKC has to offer now and what is on the very near horizon those areas will be swallowed up by developers. Couple the happenings in the area with the cost of living here and the fact that I see a lot more people relocating to the area I can see some of those areas developed in the next 20 years. Also have to take into consideration how we love our urban sprawl...

I will concede the fact that a vast portion of the area you are referring to are existing cattle ranches that will remain ranches well into the future, thus keeping those areas undeveloped for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
I would like to elaborate on OKC's land area. Don't be fooled, it's 621 sq. miles in total area (land AND water... has 14 sq. miles of water inside the city limits), but OKC's urbanized area covers a contiguous 243 sq. miles, including its inner suburbs of The Village, Bethany, Warr Acres and Nichols Hills. The remaining 340 undeveloped square miles will see 1/3 of it being developed in the future, 1/3 is reserved for land conservation and a future reservoir, and the last 1/3 will never see development because of its remote proximity.

Just thought I'd pass that along.
Good points. And yes, Omaha is a very rich city with Warren Buffet and all. I also think Omaha is a very pretty city. Of course, I like Nebraskans. I've met many over my years and 95 percent of Nebraskans are just good, decent people. I've always enjoyed the rivalry with the Huskers and am hoping they are back in the swing of things with a new coach. I hated it when the Big XII was created and put each team in a different division where they only play once every few years. I remember the Thanksgiving Day games with the Huskers as some of the best ever.

I would compare Omaha more to Tulsa than OkC. OkC is big and getting bigger by the minute. Whereas Tulsa and Omaha are almost exactly the same size.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,992 times
Having lived in both cities I have seen plenty of similarities. I now call Oklahoma City home but miss Omaha everyday. I miss the Old Market and have found that Bricktown is not a suitable substitute. Omaha is a much cleaner town, and does not have near the homeless problem that OKC does. In Omaha you can walk down the street in downtown and not be pestered every time you turn around.
Dont get me wrong Oklahoma City has its charm, but Omaha is a much better place to live

Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM

2,813 posts, read 5,600,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Boy View Post
Having lived in both cities I have seen plenty of similarities. I now call Oklahoma City home but miss Omaha everyday. I miss the Old Market and have found that Bricktown is not a suitable substitute. Omaha is a much cleaner town, and does not have near the homeless problem that OKC does. In Omaha you can walk down the street in downtown and not be pestered every time you turn around.
Dont get me wrong Oklahoma City has its charm, but Omaha is a much better place to live
That's interesting... On the homeless issue I would imagine it's mostly just due to OKC's warmer environment? And to you does OKC "feel" like a much bigger city than Omaha, regardless of which one you like better? I've spent quite a bit of time in Omaha since I live so close, and have not gotten much of a bigger city vibe from it, so I'm curious if OKC would have that feeling.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,173,063 times
I would have to agree with a number of posters here and say Omaha and Tulsa are more similar than Omaha and OKC. At least it seems that way.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 19,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Boy View Post
I was thinking about moving from OKC to Omaha. Since you lived in both cities, I am really interested in your opinion. Is there anything else you can tell me about living in Omaha compared to living in OKC? What about the weather? It seems to have much harsher winters...I am really only interested in Omaha because of its music scene, and I want to move to another state anyway.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,836 times
Thumbs down Omaha vs OKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteofpaint View Post
I was thinking about moving from OKC to Omaha. Since you lived in both cities, I am really interested in your opinion. Is there anything else you can tell me about living in Omaha compared to living in OKC? What about the weather? It seems to have much harsher winters...I am really only interested in Omaha because of its music scene, and I want to move to another state anyway.
You did not ask me but I will give you my opinion, I have lived in both places,
After one good ole Nebraska blizzard you will be ready to move back to Oklahoma
That is the type of blizzard that moves in without warning, within 2 or 3 hours it has the city completely shut down, all traffic is at a standstill and remains that way until the blizzard ends, which can be up to two or more days, then the city has to try to reopen the streets which is a big problem due to the abandoned cars from one end of town to the other end

I moved here in 1975 from Omaha and have never missed the Nebraska winters with their blizzards and temperatures of 25 degrees below zero WITHOUT the chill index

Then the summers are something else, they get just as hot as in Oklahoma but if the temperatures are around 100 to 110 in the daytime they will stay close to that at night, plus there is no cool breeze anytime, day or night, in fact, no breeze at all

Old 09-12-2008, 04:02 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,173,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agm41335 View Post
Then the summers are something else, they get just as hot as in Oklahoma but if the temperatures are around 100 to 110 in the daytime they will stay close to that at night, plus there is no cool breeze anytime, day or night, in fact, no breeze at all
Way to exaggerate, 110 is about the high for the state in any given year. It at least drops to the 70's at night, and what do you mean no breeze? I'll admit it's not cool, but it's there...

Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times
I know the midwest can get hot at times, but I don't think Omaha gets near as hot as OkC in the Summer. I looked at the weather almanac for Omaha and the average high at the peak of summer is only 88 degrees, and the average low is 64.

Contrast that with OkC that has an average high/low of 92/73. Not a huge difference, and the record highs are almost the same but you also have to figure in that Summer doesn't stay as hot as long in Omaha either.

Omaha would be one of four or five cities in the US that I would choose to move to if given the opportunity. Everyone I've spoken to (from Oklahoma) that has lived there loved it.

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-12-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City