Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:40 PM

64 posts, read 291,012 times

Advertisements

Shadow- if you can spend up to $400K, you will not have a problem. We bought 3 bedrooms/almost 1900 sq. feet for less than $200k. We don't have kids (or plans for them), so it is the perfect amount of space.
If you want to buy new, we really like our neighborhood, Valencia. It is split between Edmond Schools and Deer Creek Schools. The larger homes that would probably better accomodate your family are on the Edmond side and in the $300k range. Also since Edmond is a larger district, I believe they have a wider range of special services available.
We also moved from Orange County and we feel very at home in Edmond. I do miss Golden Spoon and Trader Joe's like crazy though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM

160 posts, read 975,555 times
Where in OC are you from?? We are in Ladera Ranch, Will for sure miss all the amenities we have w/in walking distance. Of course, Trader Joe's..boo hooo. Also, will miss Los Golandrinos machaca burritos which are killer! You would probably know them if you are from south county. Anyway, I think we may look at Valencia as well. Not entirely needing to be in a brand new house, but will look at them. It will be harder to gauge the neighborhood (ie: does it have lots of kiddos) if it is not somewhat built-up. We'll see. Concentrating on Edmond schools right now as my older son has Asperger's and we are coming in with an IEP. Not to say that Deer Creek isn't good, I just have not had as much contact with a representative of that district as I have had with Edmond schools. Still looking into that.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 17,161 times
Well, as far as eating healthy goes, you really can't count on others to do it for you, so I'm not worried about the fried foods. Nobody can force them down my throat! lol.

Currently, I live in the St. Louis area, where biscuits and gravy abound as well as toasted (deep fried) ravioli and many other unhealthy foods. I really don't want to die of a heart attack before I see my grandchildren graduate from high school (which won't be for awhile, since my oldest son is only 15), so I choose to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I just wanted to know if I will be able to buy healthy foods locally or if I'll have to order them online (which would add a big chunk to our already huge food budget.....5 boys = a LOT of food!).

As far as cities to live....I've been thinking and in my original post, I said that I wanted a city where we could buy at least an acre, but preferably 2-3 and that I didn't want to be more than 30 mins. from the city. I should clarify that I don't necessarily mean that I want to be 30 mins. from OKC, but no more than 30 mins. from a good (larger) grocery store and Target or Walmart etc. So, is there something other than Yukon or Edmond that would fit? We're leaning towards Yukon right now, since it is more centrally located. We'll want to do some field trips (we homeschool, remember) and Yukon is a little more central.

Of course, Yukon is further from Enid (where the closest organic foods buying club co op is), so maybe there's something in between that would work? I just didn't see many properties in Yukon with more than 1 acre.

Thanks for all of your help! It's reassuring knowing that Okies are so nice and helpful.

Jodi

Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto5boys View Post
Of course, Yukon is further from Enid (where the closest organic foods buying club co op is), so maybe there's something in between that would work? I just didn't see many properties in Yukon with more than 1 acre.

Thanks for all of your help! It's reassuring knowing that Okies are so nice and helpful.

Jodi
I would just look at Piedmont, it's a small but growing town. Only 10-15 minutes away from all the shopping, and you're also only 50 minutes or so from Enid there. There are tons of acreages with both new and older homes.

One thing to keep in mind about Yukon. The city limits of Yukon are very small. Many areas that are considered to be Yukon are in Oklahoma City, therefore you'd have to search for Oklahoma City when looking for real estate. You'd also have trouble finding acreages inside the city limits of Yukon as most of it's developed. You may find one or two on the north side but I'd steer clear as that's flood plain.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
You might look around Cashion. It's pretty rural there, but not more than 30 minutes from the Memorial Road mega shopping area.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:17 PM

65 posts, read 222,880 times
From your list of wants, I think you described Choctaw and the Eastern parts of Midwest City pretty well. If you live in East MWC, you'll go to Carl Albert most likely, which has a big baseball program I believe. Choctaw's most successful sports are wrestling and cheerleading. Choctaw however has the acreage you mentioned. In both areas you can easily find a new home in the price range you mentioned.

Looking on the other side of the city, Mustang and Tuttle also sport some acreage as well as good schools. I know for a fact that Mustang is VERY competitive in anything sport. I'm not sure which sport is their most successful, but drive around the area and it definitely has alot of school sports pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City