Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmin View Post
let me just say this, oklahoma is the ugliest as well as the most utterly depressing place i have ever been. I relocated here due to a lucrative job offer and wish to god I had not. No amount of money in the world is worth living in this backward, hateful place. It's jammed up with semi-literate baptists, there is no scenic beauty to speak of and forget about any real cultural value. I HATE OKLAHOMA
Oh, my, as a native Oklahoman, I thought the state had improved a lot since the year 2000. Maybe I'm wrong. But anyway, isn't it so embarrassing that you live in a state in which a judge had to go to prison because he masturbated with a penis pump while conducting court?

This is the state that had a legislator, Frank Shurden, who desperately wanted to save cockfighting by requiring roosters to wear boxing gloves.

This is the state in which another legislator, Mrs. Kern, actually thinks allowing equal rights for homosexuals is a more dangerous situation to have around than terrorists. And plenty of Oklahomans strongly admire and believe in her. And amongst all this homophobia, Oklahoma in Oklahoma City has one of the biggest gay resorts in the nation where in a parking lot a Baptist minister from Tulsa was arrested for soliciting for sex.

And this is the state where a prominent minister, Oral Roberts, claimed he saw a 900 ft. tall Jesus.

This is also the state that tried as recently as 1999 to ban sales of the magazine Penthouse, but failed.

But on the not so humorous side, Oklahoma is the only state in the union in which life expectancy actually went down, not up, during the 1990's.

So is this a crazy and highly backward state or not, folks? YES, without a doubt, the state of Oklahoma goes way over the top in being like that, compared to other states. It just cannot be disputed, folks. If I wasn't such a damned homebody without much of a sense of adventure, I would leave Oklahoma myself, just like a number of my friends and relatives have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oh, my, as a native Oklahoman, I thought the state had improved a lot since the year 2000. Maybe I'm wrong. But anyway, isn't it so embarrassing that you live in a state in which a judge had to go to prison because he masturbated with a penis pump while conducting court?

This is the state that had a legislator, Frank Shurden, who desperately wanted to save cockfighting by requiring roosters to wear boxing gloves.

This is the state in which another legislator, Mrs. Kern, actually thinks allowing equal rights for homosexuals is a more dangerous situation to have around than terrorists. And plenty of Oklahomans strongly admire and believe in her. And amongst all this homophobia, Oklahoma in Oklahoma City has one of the biggest gay resorts in the nation where in a parking lot a Baptist minister from Tulsa was arrested for soliciting for sex.

And this is the state where a prominent minister, Oral Roberts, claimed he saw a 900 ft. tall Jesus.

This is also the state that tried as recently as 1999 to ban sales of the magazine Penthouse, but failed.

But on the not so humorous side, Oklahoma is the only state in the union in which life expectancy actually went down, not up, during the 1990's.

So is this a crazy and highly backward state or not, folks? YES, without a doubt, the state of Oklahoma goes way over the top in being like that, compared to other states. It just cannot be disputed, folks. If I wasn't such a damned homebody without much of a sense of adventure, I would leave Oklahoma myself, just like a number of my friends and relatives have done.

You make it sound like we are the only state with problems.... Every state has problems or qualities someone doesnt like. If they didnt we would all live in the same place.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 PM

330 posts, read 970,307 times
Everyone that feels ill will towards OK is free to leave at any time. In fact, I encourage those that feel OK sucks to move to California. I suggest downtown LA, South Central LA, or East LA. You'll find those areas pleasant and welcoming.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
Everyone that feels ill will towards OK is free to leave at any time. In fact, I encourage those that feel OK sucks to move to California. I suggest downtown LA, South Central LA, or East LA. You'll find those areas pleasant and welcoming.
How very rude of you. I'm sorry, but simply wishing that someone would leave the state of Oklahoma won't do a damned thing to make Oklahoma a better state for all. Now go along your merry way.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-01-2008 at 07:00 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 PM

330 posts, read 970,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
How very rude of you. I'm sorry, but simply wishing that someone would leave the state of Oklahoma won't do a damned thing to make Oklahoma a better state for all. Now go along your merry way.
Let's break this down. I don't see where I said "I wish" that someone would leave. I don't see where complaining continually would make things better. I simply stated that if people aren't happy here, they're free to leave at any time. So, saying I'm rude, when I didn't complain about a thing nor did I state false facts, is just outlandish and untruthful. Now, I will go along my merry way to enjoy all of what Oklahoma has to offer. I will not tell or give orders to someone to do something because I'm not that rude, unlike the situation that has been brought to light here. Next.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Face it techienomad you were indeed, rude to me and I still don't appreciate it. Suggesting I move to undesirable parts of L. A. was the rudest part, for sure. It in no way contributed anything to the thread.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Yet, another odd thing about Oklahoma and that is recent is that the Republican Party 2007 Platform sought to make it clear in not just one but two places that animal waste should not be labeled as hazardous. But no one seems to be outraged by such an insane notion. So much for wanting a clean Illinois River to have fun in.

Who knows how much industry and bright people Oklahoma has lost down through the years due to its backward ways and attitudes. Interestingly enough, however, I know of one person who actually had to move to Oklahoma because he found its backward ways so fascinating.

His fascination with Okahoma first started one day during the 1970's when he was a passenger on a plane enjoying a drink when all of a sudden the flight attendant snatched it from him. He asked why that happened, and was told that the plane was about to enter dry airspace--Oklahoma. He couldn't believe this was actually happening in America and decided he had to move to Oklahoma to experience Oklahoma ways to believe them. As the years went by, the news in Oklahoma kept him amazed. Today, this man is still fascinated by the backwardness, the political corruption, the stupidity and down right weirdness that is Oklahoma at his web site dedicated to it at Bubbaworld - Ten Years Of Telling It Like It Is In Oklahoma.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-02-2008 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
It must be vexing to be living in a state you find so beneath you. Says something about you, don'tcha think?

Last edited by colleeng47; 07-02-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
It must be vexing to be living in a state you find so beneath you. Says something about you, don'tcha think?
Hey, I'm not all that smart, so living in Oklahoma isn't all that vexing or beneath me. As I explained earlier, I'm just a homebody. I just wish Oklahoma would live up to it's potential a lot more, instead of constantly lagging so far behind the other more civilized states. Please explain to me why other Oklahomans should fault me for feeling that way?

One of the Oklahoma people I most admire did not turn her back and flee from the backwardness and intolerance of Oklahoma after she had her house firebombed back during the 1980s. She objected to the Baptists in her children's' school conducting church services regularly until every child was saved the Baptist way. She was no Baptist. She and another Christian lady encountered unbelievable resentment. Or in her own words:

"I got my own obituary in the mail. My kids were threatened constantly -- their lives. I was told my kids were not going to survive. They said my house would be burned. The threats to burn my home was the one that I probably should have taken the most seriously. I just couldn't see in an civilized area -- I considered that these people would not ever do that.

But my home was firebombed. Unless you've ever had a fire -- the devastation is something you cannot even begin to describe. To lose everything you've ever had. And with four children you really accumulate a lot of things -- the trophies. Everything that you saved, your baby pictures, the little things -- your marriage license. You lose everything. There's nothing hardly that can be saved. One of the things, the very few things that survived the fire was the christening dress of my daughter. We have three sons and we have a daughter that we're very proud of and this was her christening dress and that little hat was melted. It's one, it's one of the things that you'd like to pass on and let them use it for their children. This is just an example of things that were ruined and what our family lost in the fire. Because we essentially lost everything we had."

So when bad things like this happen it's little wonder why it is important to have separation of church and state, so the different religions can get along.

And the lady who got her home firebombed, she's Joann Bell who today acts as director for the ACLU of Oklahoma. Lesser people than her would have long since fled Oklahoma and never come back.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM

120 posts, read 425,052 times
I'm not defending all of what Stillwater Townie said, but there's one thing I do agree on....
the good ol' boy system.
It is alive and well in Oklahoma. Very frustrating to deal with, esp when you've lived elsewhere.
Doesn't make it any worse of a state but if you actually pay attention, you see it happen here more than anywhere.
Example? How about the whole Seattle/Oklahoma City NBA deal? If anyone thinks that wasn't a shady deal needs remedial 3rd grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City