Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 PM

65 posts, read 222,896 times

Advertisements

I'm a born and raised Oklahoman, but I've wanted to move out of Oklahoma ever since I was in High School. For those of you who are moving to Oklahoma, there isn't anything to fear about living here really. I just feel like I was born in the wrong part of the country. I hate heat, especially when humid, I hate tornadoes even though I don't fear them, and I'm easily bored. I love pro football, cold, technology etc. When I was young, I wanted to move to Seattle.

I now have a family, and a good job in I.T. in Oklahoma but I still long to move to Seattle. We've visited the city many times and my wife loves it too. The only reason we haven't left yet is I'm trying to get money saved and prepare for the huge change in cost of living.

I've been on the Seattle forum, and like here there are tons of people who love it. However, unlike here, there are quite a few people who wish they were somewhere else.

My question is, is there anyone from Seattle or the PNW area who lives in Oklahoma now. Why did you move? Do you love or regret your decision? Why should I stay in Oklahoma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:46 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkGreen View Post
I've been on the Seattle forum, and like here there are tons of people who love it. However, unlike here, there are quite a few people who wish they were somewhere else.

My question is, is there anyone from Seattle or the PNW area who lives in Oklahoma now. Why did you move? Do you love or regret your decision? Why should I stay in Oklahoma?
You are very smart to raise that question before you make such a major move. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkGreen View Post
I'm a born and raised Oklahoman, but I've wanted to move out of Oklahoma ever since I was in High School. For those of you who are moving to Oklahoma, there isn't anything to fear about living here really. I just feel like I was born in the wrong part of the country. I hate heat, especially when humid, I hate tornadoes even though I don't fear them, and I'm easily bored. I love pro football, cold, technology etc. When I was young, I wanted to move to Seattle.
We aren't always lucky enough to be born in the place that is meant to be our home. I was born and raised in CA (44 yrs) but it never really felt "right" to me. I lived in Seattle for few months and it IS a beautiful place!! But it still wasn't my true home... The first time I set foot in Oklahoma (in '94) I KNEW I was truly home for the first time in my life.

It took us 10 years to get here, but we LOVE it. Within a few short months I felt like I had been here my entire life and everything else is a fading memory.

If Seattle is the place that makes your heart sing, get everything in order and GO for it!

Oklahoma will always be here if it doesn't work out...

Oh, and be sure to take the ferry out to Bainbridge Island... Fantastic views out there.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,974 times
The only reason I could state for you to stay in OK is you may not like the heat but as you know you'll never see you sun again in Seattle (yes, I know I'm exaggerating).

But really, if you've wanted to move to Seattle for your whole life then go for it.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
I have a daughter in law that is from Seattle. She can't get enough of the sun here, (yet). She would rather live in Seattle or on the west coast, I think, but the cost of living and the weather got them down.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
You are very smart to raise that question before you make such a major move. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I agree. You're doing your research. You might also post the same question, in reverse, in the Seattle forum. Ask if there are any people from Oklahoma that live in Seattle and if they like it or don't like it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Note: Seattle is a beautiful city and I don't think the weather there would bother me a bit because I like fog and rain.. Maybe not if I had it day in and day out though. But, it really is a beautiful city and I can understand your attraction to the place.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 PM

32 posts, read 99,463 times
DrinkGreen, I say "to each, his own". You can read the opinions of others, but pick and choose which ones matter and then do what YOU and your family want. I seem to be in the minority (so far that I have read) of people originally from Cali who don't like it here. We have been in the OKC area for almost two years now and the day we leave can't come soon enough for me. I could write a huge paragraph about my reasons, but I'm just trying to get a point across for your sake. We just have to wait until my husband is in the right position in his career to move. We would love to get back to Cali, but only in certain areas. We are also considering Seattle because it seems it would be a better place to raise our child (vs. SoCal), but I don't know if I can handle the gloominess.
Anyway, if you didn't like it there, it would be easier to move back here because of the lower cost of living. Follow your heart.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,600 times
I'm not the native Seattleite you asked for, but I do have a perspective on your question. My husband and I are 63. He grew up in Arkansas, I in Oklahoma. We lived in OKC nearly 40 years. When you say "Seattle" you could be talking about anywhere from Bellingham to Tacoma or west to the Kitsap and Olympic Peninsulas. I can't speak for the Seattle side, but we're getting to know the peninsulas. We moved to Silverdale in 2005, after vacationing all over the Pacific Northwest for over 20 years. After some less than smart decisions, we're outside Port Ludlow now. We just sold the Silverdale house after remodeling it for two years. We hope to sell the Port Ludlow house within a year, although we're at the mercy of the slow housing market. We're planning to move back to OKC. A couple of friends here understand how we feel but most can't imagine ever living anywhere else but Washington.

We never considered living in Seattle because of the traffic. We decided to live where we could just hop a ferry and run into downtown Seattle for shopping, eating, etc. What we discovered is that the Hood Canal Bridge closes for marine traffic, high winds and maintenance, and the ferry system isn't always reliable. While we have all the basics for shopping here, our choices are limited. (Oh, how I miss the OKC furniture stores.!!) There are a lot of Californians up here who think it's wonderful and cozy and quiet. We think it's lonely and isolated. Part of that is because we're retired, don't have kids and don't go to church. All those are things that would help us make more friends. Since you're younger and have a family, I'm sure you'll have many more chances to meet people.

If you love outdoor activity, this is the place for you. Mountains, ski resorts, seashores, forests and lakes. You can be in Canada in a few hours. (2010 Olympics in Vancouver.) The summers here are glorious. The temperature gets to the high 80's a few times. We have an hour more daylight than Oklahoma. Fall, winter and spring are damp and gloomy. In the dead of winter we have an hour LESS daylight than Oklahoma. The abundance of rain leads to a lot of greenery. A LOT. We discovered how much we miss the wide open spaces, where you can drive down the road and see something besides tall trees, undergrowth and massive blackberry vines. (We do have the world's most beautiful noxious weed, though. Scotch Broom is spectacular in the spring.) We're tired of environmentalists, liberals and people fighting about a tree blocking their views. Oddly enough, we miss thunderstorms.

Those are the thoughts of an old Okie. I hope I've given you something to think about. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 AM

355 posts, read 990,458 times
I'm not a native Seattleite nor a native Oklahoman but I have lived in both areas. I'm currently living in the Seattle area. When I lived in OK, I felt kind of landlocked after spending many years in FL. So when we got the chance to move to the west coast, we decided to go. I don't regret the move at all, however, if I were to pick where I would want to live for the long haul between the two, it would definitely be OK.....(but FL is #1for me).

There is so much to see and do in Seattle....never boring. And the restaurants serve such excellent food. Lots of good seafood. Great grocery stores. You can drive to the mountains for the day.....it really is beautiful. I know that it sounds wonderful and in many ways it is. But, the overall quality of life IMO is better in OK.

The cost of living in Seattle compared to OK is very high. Houses are very expensive, gas prices are higher, groceries are higher....ect. The traffic is usually very busy. The sun doesn't shine half as much as it does in OK. It is very damp out here.....a lot of moss everywhere and cold rain. I would rather have snow and sunshine. It is easier to make friends in OK. And as the other poster said you don't see a lot of wide open spaces or good old thunderstorms....which we miss too.

I have lived in several other states throughout the years so I would never want to discourage anyone from trying something new. It is an adventure and such a learning experience to live in different areas. And you can always move back if it doesn't work out. Who knows you might love it out here.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:39 AM

32 posts, read 99,463 times
cindycat and samsmom- thanks for your posts. I've been watching this thread because we have also been thinking about Seattle as a possible residence. Your views were unbiased and gave me a lot to think about. cindycat- I'm in a somewhat similar position. We don't have any family and hardly any friends here. We don't go to church and I feel kinda shy about joining a mom's group or something like that.
I think it's so interesting hearing people's preferences for environment. I don't like the storms here, nor the open spaces. The wind bothers me the most. Give me hills and mountains!! hehe Really wish I could make myself like it here because the people are very nice and the housing is affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City