Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:23 PM

171 posts, read 190,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In reality though, I agree with chicagodude84 that it's best to avoid OKC at all costs unless you have to live here or have family here that you want to live near. There are so many other cities that are good for raising a family and offer a low cost of living that offer a much better quality of life than this area does.

BINGO !!! Thank YOU !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
The low cost of living is still a mystery to me. We moved here on our own free will and have survived since 11/2015. Small town USA takes some getting used to single zip code no Starbucks. I refuse to buy at Starbucks anyway. Neither Republicans, nor Democrats nor any church has knocked on our door and we have four churches in sight, five when I stand on tip toes, makes for quiet neighbors during the week and hardly any construction. When I pulled into the local custom shop with a 15 year old S10 in WallyWorld out fit some guys with cigarettes in the corners of their mouths, 70s Rock blaring, tattoos from here to where I could not follow had some eye candy in their tiny shop. Well, they never called me about the El Camino Anything you want to know - beauty shops beat the news. And what is worse - tends to be right. Neighborhood is rather mixed be it ethniticy (a mouthful), education, age, job. Everyone minds their own business but keeps an eye out. I needed our fur balls fed at their hour. A neighbors trashcan went walkabouting in a storm. A dog showed up on the porch. Plumbing problems - need dishwasher and washer dryer for a weeks worth of a family of four. No problem, we will split it. ..... So far nobody wanted to know if I am straight, carry or if the house is paid for.
Every town has folks who are unhappy and hang in there in misery and want to share it. Join them or be happy. OK has not been much different from DFW, SEATAC, DC or Munich for me.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:01 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Every town has folks who are unhappy and hang in there in misery and want to share it. Join them or be happy. OK has not been much different from DFW, SEATAC, DC or Munich for me.
The malcontents basically aren't willing to take advantage of the things we do have available to us in OKC.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I don't see why it should be factored out? It would be illogical because Spring Break, and tourism in general, is part of what makes Daytona Beach. Stop being a troll because these numbers go against your narrative.

Troll ?? Hmm lets see kanyeNO,

Due to personal family obligations(health issues), I >had< to live in OK for several years (Felt more like prison time), I had no choice but to mentally "adapt". In the time I lived in OK, I drove ALL around the state, Dealt with MANY different people (Including a Thunder player), Lived in Edmond/Norman, I even owned a auto business for a short time, So I feel I have a >RIGHT< to my opinion

Horrific Infrastructure
Education
Public health
SERIOUS Drug epidemic
Crime

Are some of the MAIN problem with the state

I'm not gonna even begin with the racism and cold attitudes towards outsiders/non christians

Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post

Due to personal family obligations(health issues), I >had< to live in OK for several years (Felt more like prison time), I had no choice but to mentally "adapt". In the time I lived in OK, I drove ALL around the state, Dealt with MANY different people (Including a Thunder player), Lived in Edmond/Norman, I even owned a auto business for a short time, So I feel I have a >RIGHT< to my opinion

Horrific Infrastructure
Education
Public health
SERIOUS Drug epidemic
Crime

I'm not gonna even begin with the racism and cold attitudes towards outsiders/non christians
All is well in Chicago. Nobody asked how things were in OK but how they are. And for a lot of folks things are good. Life here is a two way street as it is everywhere. You get what you give.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 AM

793 posts, read 1,110,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post

Horrific Infrastructure
Education
Public health
SERIOUS Drug epidemic
Crime

Of course you have a right to your opinion. But you insinuated that Daytona Beach has less crime than OKC and it's suburbs, which is not an opinion but factually incorrect.

Also, I am non-white AND non-Christian and have never dealt with "cold attitudes".

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post

Also, I am non-white AND non-Christian and have never dealt with "cold attitudes".
I think your experience is the exception moreso than the rule. OKC has the stereotypes it does for a reason. I've been on the receiving end of some of the worst of them.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
All is well in Chicago.

LMAO, More "Oklahoma Math" how can you compare population/traffic in Chicago area VS OKC

And me personally, I was a victim of crime(s) in Edmond/OKC/Norman >SEVERAL< times and NEVER once when I lived in Chicago or Seattle or San Francisco

Like I have said before "100% USDA GRADE NO BS" , OKC is a cesspool like I have NEVER seen in my life !!! Dallas comes second

Old 02-26-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think your experience is the exception moreso than the rule. OKC has the stereotypes it does for a reason. I've been on the receiving end of some of the worst of them.
You and Chicagodude need to figure out who is top

Old 11-29-2019, 12:28 PM

344 posts, read 416,613 times
The OP fascinates me. She joined this site in 2011, waited 7 years to make her first post (this one), and then never posted again. Sorry to drag this one up from old posts but I am contemplating relocating to OKC and am also from Daytona Beach (hometown and lived there 20 years) Crime there is awful (and mainly done by the locals, not the spring breakers, bikers or NASCAR crowds) as are work opportunities for the last 20 years I’ve only been back for funerals. The appeal of OKC for me is what appears to be a low cost of living as well as a good job market. I definitely will be trying to sort out the crime issue and looking for safe areas. What did you end up doing OP? I hope you had fun in my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City