Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:40 AM

21 posts, read 12,252 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband has a 1 year fellowship at OU, so we are relocating our family from Seattle soon. We have a 1.5 year old and a baby on the way, so we don’t need a good school district just yet. Is there a neighborhood you would recommend that meets the following criteria? They are in order of most to least important.

1. Within 15 min of OU
2. Safe and enjoyable (green, has parks) to walk around with small children
3. Easy access to groceries, restaurants
4. Has other young families around, has good daycares
***Extra bonus points*** Easy to get to Threshold Climbing in Northlake. My husband is going to have serious rock climbing withdrawal.

Also, I’ve been looking on Craigslist for a 4 bedroom since my parents may stay with us, and there are so few in OKC for rent! Am I looking at the wrong site, or is the rental market really that tight?

Thanks for your help!
Julia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,434,510 times
Being that close to the OU Medical Center (the University is in Norman, south of OK City) I'd go with the Putnam City area or Bethany. A lot of good churches in that area too.

Welcome to the great State of Oklahoma!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Stay out of that area around OU Medical Center. Not safe. Oklahoma City is not known for parks or green space. Serious lack of sidewalks. Not a pedestrian friendly city. Edmond or far northwest OKC would be safer and more desireable locations.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:02 PM

793 posts, read 1,098,952 times
4-bedroom rental houses are usually owner-occupied. But, using Zillow, the nearest 4-bedroom rentals to OU Med are in Heritage Hills and Mesta Park (one in each neighborhood, a couple of minutes away from OU Med) for $3000/mo and $2200/mo, respectively. Other 4-bedroom rentals seem to range from $1000-$2000/mo and are just a bit farther away than the two aforementioned neighborhoods.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:03 PM

28 posts, read 39,043 times
You have some really good options. Mesta Park and Heritage Hills are downtown and very close to the Downtown campus (assuming this is the campus you are after). Both neighborhoods are older and are beautiful for OKC. Both have parks and large tree (for OKC). The grocery options are not as great but you will be right by downtown which has gotten very nice. Lots of great restaurants. It's a great area. Crown Heights is also close to OU's health science center. It has tons of young families. It also has a very pretty park and tons of large trees. It is also close to great restaurants and pretty close to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Sprouts. Nichols Hills is about 10 minutes away from the med center. It is the best walking neighborhood. The streets are not on a grid and it is fairly large so it has great walking and the best parks (several good parks are there plus an awesome walking path). It is the most expensive but it is also right next to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. You cannot go wrong with any of these neighborhoods. Very pretty areas. The area around the med center is getting nicer all the time. You should check it out. My son is a med student and lives in a great 1920's house 1 block away and loves it. It isn't as safe as the other neighborhoods I mentioned - which are all really safe. There is a house for rent in Lakehurst on Wilton Ln that is 4 bedrooms and is really nice. Lakehurst is on the west side of Nichols Hills. It is a very nice family area 15 min from med school. Extremely safe.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:07 PM

Also you should look on Zillow. Not sure Craigslist is that popular for nicer rentals here.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 03:28 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 11:36 PM

I think I must be bored tonight, but I looked at Zillow for you to help you narrow things down. I've been in your position and it can be nearly impossible to get your bearings - so hopefully this will help. There is a home at 1514 Classen that is in a great downtown urban location. It is surrounded by beautiful homes and has a nice park by it (however no playground equipment). I am very familiar with this area. It is one of the prettiest in OKC and is right next to downtown, if that is what you are looking for. It's expensive but that might be fine with you. A cheaper option but still over 2000/mo is 728 NW 18th. This is also Mesta Park and very nice. This home doesn't look as nice as the other one but still may be perfect - steep staircase though if you are worried about the little ones. There is a very nice park with playground equipment down the street. Both of these homes are 5 min from the med school. There is a less expensive option at 2925 Wilton Ln that is farther North. This house is next to Nichols Hills which has the best walking and some really nice parks and also by Lake Hefner which a lot of people like for biking and walking. It is also a lot closer to the indoor rock climbing gym you mentioned. This is a 1 story family home that would be perfect for little ones. Whatever you do, don't think you need to go to Edmond. You will be lost in the suburbs, drive all the time, and the parks are not great. Luckily your husband will be working within 15 minutes of the most desirable areas in OKC. Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Thanks, everyone! Really kind of you to do some preliminary Zillow searches, traveler103! Zillow does seem to have more nice places listed than craigslist. We’d be looking to pay less than $2K in rent, so maybe I’ll stick to 3 BD apartments for now, and rent separately for my parents if needed.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:32 PM

Hi all, does anyone have insight into whether Mayfair Heights is a nice place to rent a house for a family? I'm considering a place near NW 50th St and N May Ave. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,434,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazlove View Post
Hi all, does anyone have insight into whether Mayfair Heights is a nice place to rent a house for a family? I'm considering a place near NW 50th St and N May Ave. Thanks!
That's a relatively nice area. There are many stores on that portion of May as well as some nice hidden parks in surrounding neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City