Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 AM

28 posts, read 39,848 times

Advertisements

Tulsa is great if you want to be by Grand Lake. Otherwise I just don't see much difference. Tulsa is prettier, but that's by Oklahoma standards. OKC's lack of natural beauty bothers me, but when I go to Tulsa, I feel it looks almost exactly the same. Some of the neighborhoods in Tulsa have more of an upscale feel. You can really feel the wealth in Tulsa - and they are very beautiful. But it is also a very manicured beauty achieved by lawncare companies and sprinkler systems. The same can be said for the nicer neighborhoods in OKC. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. If OKC doesn't make the cut for you, Tulsa won't either. In fact, to me they are almost the same city. Tulsa feels more green and more charming while OKC seems more new and modern. These are very subtle differences though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,559 times
Dicey that could be I suppose, but household income in Tulsa and Rogers counties is higher than in Oklahoma and Cleveland counties.

The OP sd is interested in the cultural and economic aspects of OKC primarily, but the point of the first post was to ask about the beauty of the natural landscape etc. I am saying, Tulsa beats OKC on all points.

There are definite differences in the two cities. Tulsa is a much more dense urban area. OKC is spread over literally hundreds of square miles. To say that they are similar, you could generalize a little further and say that many midwestern or southern cities are similar.

And eastern Oklahoma beats most midwestern states for natural beauty. Access to pretty hills and trees in Tulsa is better than in most large cities in this region, going up all the way to Indiana and south into Texas.

Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited by teakboat; 07-19-2018 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 AM

28 posts, read 39,848 times
Teakboat - you seem very familiar with Tulsa and the surrounding countryside. When you say access to pretty hills and trees, what kind of access do you mean? Have you found good trail systems in that part of the state. The only reason I ask, is I've been looking for places like what you describe. While I can find pretty areas, it's hard to find ways to get out in them - besides floating the Illinois or going out by boat on Grand. Just curious what you like to do or what is available.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Traveler, I suppose the knock on Oklahoma is like you said, although there are various nature trails at state parks and near the lakes, practical access generally tends to be a little lacking. Because, Oklahoma land can be pretty weedy, with underbrush on the hillsides. If you strike out on your own, you will tend to get ticks, and eventually you will see snakes and other critters. The winter is better than the summer. It is not that bad, and I have done plenty of it. But it is not quite like areas of the rockies where you can wonder around pretty carefree.

Various areas of the Sans Bois and Ouachita mountains tend to be more clear of underbrush and more fun for exploring. Parts of these mountains are unusually remote for central USA. Oklahoma has many nice state parks, huge wildlife management areas, and corps of engineer land around the lakes and some rivers.

I think that the Eastern Oklahoma areas from North to South tend to be quite pretty, and have an interesting natural history to them that you appreciate the more you spend time there and learn about it.

Last edited by teakboat; 07-19-2018 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 AM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Dicey that could be I suppose, but household income in Tulsa and Rogers counties is higher than in Oklahoma and Cleveland counties.

The OP sd is interested in the cultural and economic aspects of OKC primarily, but the point of the first post was to ask about the beauty of the natural landscape etc. I am saying, Tulsa beats OKC on all points.

There are definite differences in the two cities. Tulsa is a much more dense urban area. OKC is spread over literally hundreds of square miles. To say that they are similar, you could generalize a little further and say that many midwestern or southern cities are similar.

And eastern Oklahoma beats most midwestern states for natural beauty. Access to pretty hills and trees in Tulsa is better than in most large cities in this region, going up all the way to Indiana and south into Texas.

Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide.
Tulsa also spreads over literally hundreds of square miles; 336 sq miles in 2010 compared to OKC's 411 sq miles, with OKC being denser at 2,100/sq mi compared to Tulsa's 1,951/ sq mi (according to US Census Urban Areas).

Here's a comparison of population density by block group (OKC left, Tulsa right):

Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Hmm Guess I'm wrong. But I still think that the cities feel that way. Subjective opinion

Old 07-19-2018, 04:46 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
I've spent 2/3rds of my life in Alaska and 1/3rd in northwest OKC. Oklahoma terrain and geography suck. There is just no way around it. Throw in the heat, humidity and allergens in the air and it literally sucks the breath out of you. Middle of summer here at my daughters house in OKC and its 108 degrees and the grass is brown and crunchy. One of her neighbors down the road has a tree in their yard. 30 houses in their housing addition and that's the only tree. Apparently OKC is building a street car named "Desire" but I haven't talked to anyone that had a desire to go see it....

Old 07-19-2018, 04:51 PM

It's been deep green in eastern Oklahoma all summer for three years. Summers have been temperate and green for a few years in a row.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
I took this just a few days ago, lots of trees in my neighborhood!

Old 07-21-2018, 06:31 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I've spent 2/3rds of my life in Alaska and 1/3rd in northwest OKC. Oklahoma terrain and geography suck. There is just no way around it. Throw in the heat, humidity and allergens in the air and it literally sucks the breath out of you. Middle of summer here at my daughters house in OKC and its 108 degrees and the grass is brown and crunchy. One of her neighbors down the road has a tree in their yard. 30 houses in their housing addition and that's the only tree. Apparently OKC is building a street car named "Desire" but I haven't talked to anyone that had a desire to go see it....

Drive a few miles east to Edmond and you'll have more trees than you can shake a stick at. That's one of the things that is fascinating about OKC. Where you live is on the plains but the forest is just across the old Santa Fe tracks.

As far as the weather, yep right now it's Phoenix. But we generally get breaks most summers where it is not intolerably hot (but not every summer). But July, August and sometimes the first of September can be pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City