Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,579 times

Advertisements

It sound like that collectively, just the powerfull storms themselves with the hail and wind probably do more damage than the isolated, albeit devistating, tornado's.

Thats good to know.

I read a post on the Maine forum recently from a couple that was looking to move to Maine but were scared of being attacked by a bear...I kind of chuckled..but hey..if you never been here how would you know. I love to hike, camp and spend time outside as much as possible..aside from living in Maine the last 13 years I spent summers as a kid here.....never once seen a bear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 PM

708 posts, read 682,190 times
tornadoes have there own mind and plan. its likely if you live there that you will never ever be harmed by one. of course moore i just think is always in the tornado path so i dont suggest moving to Moore. i feel like me with tornadoes i have very bad luck. i lived in Greensburg Kansas for about a week 1/2 and was hit by an F5. Its just luck and timing i guess you can be in the bad spot at the wrong time or be in the right spot at the right time. but OK is a wondeful place and i wouldnt let tornadoes from not moving there as i said its very unlikley for u to be hit by a tornado

goodluck if your house searching and if not i hope i answered your question

oh and also my grandparents live in OK have lived there for almost there hole life and have only witnessed 3 tornadoes and was only hit by one. even when i was there during tornado season im never witnessed one..ive only seen 1 and thats enough for me!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:50 PM

120 posts, read 423,914 times
I've seen a lot of tornadoes thanks to my jobs. I grew up in Yukon, we never got hit. We just watched them go back up in the clouds and hit elsewhere, ie- Bethany.
Strange how I used to sit up on my parents roof and watch them roll in from the SW. Now, when every one is in the shelter, I am listening to my scanners, and standing outside waiting on them. Drives my family crazy

Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,579 times
So I decided to you tube some tornados in OK. I saw 5 of them and all 5 the storm chasers mentioned "its headed to Moore". So I guess you guys are on to something

Actually...its not funny...I saw the f5 that hit in 1999....very scary.....but in the end, homes and things can always be replaced..protect yourself!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,913,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tiv_okie View Post
I've seen a lot of tornadoes thanks to my jobs. I grew up in Yukon, we never got hit. We just watched them go back up in the clouds and hit elsewhere, ie- Bethany.
Strange how I used to sit up on my parents roof and watch them roll in from the SW. Now, when every one is in the shelter, I am listening to my scanners, and standing outside waiting on them. Drives my family crazy
Sounds like a native to me.........

Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM

if a tornado is in OKC you can just take a wild guess where it is going haha but not all go there. i hope you wishes and everything to find the prefect home

Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM

65 posts, read 222,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
So I decided to you tube some tornados in OK. I saw 5 of them and all 5 the storm chasers mentioned "its headed to Moore". So I guess you guys are on to something
If you have any further doubts, do a search for fastest recorded wind speed on earth. Moore, OK is the site of the recordholder.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM

which is.....

Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM

689 posts, read 2,050,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
which is.....
On May 3, 1999, a horrible line of tornados swept across central Oklahoma. The highest wind speed was 318 mph, in Moore. At the time the Fujita scale didn't even go that high. I think the F-5 category just went up to 300.

I remember getting home from work and turning on the TV. Said to my husband "Look at this thing!" as they showed the massive storm coming up from the southwest. May 3rd and April 19th (the Bombing in 1995) are dates that mean as much to Oklahomans as Sept 11th does to the rest of the U.S.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
On May 3, 1999, a horrible line of tornados swept across central Oklahoma. The highest wind speed was 318 mph, in Moore. At the time the Fujita scale didn't even go that high. I think the F-5 category just went up to 300.

I remember getting home from work and turning on the TV. Said to my husband "Look at this thing!" as they showed the massive storm coming up from the southwest. May 3rd and April 19th (the Bombing in 1995) are dates that mean as much to Oklahomans as Sept 11th does to the rest of the U.S.
AH! i do remeber May 1999 tornado outbreak but i didnt know thats when the fastest wind was recorded...very intreseting!

i think the greensbug KS tornado wind was fast enough for me TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City