Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:11 AM

109 posts, read 157,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
AH! i do remeber May 1999 tornado outbreak but i didnt know thats when the fastest wind was recorded...very intreseting!

i think the greensbug KS tornado wind was fast enough for me TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my grandmother is a Chickasaw Indian and was raised in Duncan, ok. she still has some really cool pics. her dad chased them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 7,769 times
Wow! I wish I would have checked this site out before I decided to move to Moore, Ok. My husband is in the Army, and he is going to be here for three years recruiting. We moved from Ft. Bragg in Fayetteville, NC, but I'm originally from Augusta, GA , and my husband is from Rochester, NY. So all of this tornado talk is new for the both of us. From the sounds of things it sounds like I will be in for a real treat for the next three years. I just thank God that we have a storm shelter! I have been here for about three weeks, and it seems like every week there is some kind of severe weather coming through here. I will just be on my P's and Q's!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:35 PM

65 posts, read 222,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENMOBR View Post
Wow! I wish I would have checked this site out before I decided to move to Moore, Ok.
Well the good thing about being in Moore is that since May 3rd, Moore is usually very aware of stormy weather, and thus are prepared. The schools and businesses should have a complete tornado warning plan in place.

People say never get out in a storm and that's true, but if the storm is still 30 minutes away and you feel real scared, you could do a quick drive to Norman. Whether you want to believe the hidden riverbed theory, or the stories of it being built on an Native American burial ground, Norman is untouched by tornadoes.

Maybe tornadoes are OU Sooner fans

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 PM

533 posts, read 1,704,558 times
Actually the storms seem to be trending slightly north over time. The old timers say it has something to do with the river and how it has changed, especially now with the Bricktown canal and the dams on the river. I haven't heard any scientific explanations but it does seem to me true that the storm paths have definitely moved north since the 1950's and 1960's.

Certainly the forecasting is so amazingly accurate now. In my childhood we just had to guess and run to the neighbor's cellar and wait and wait. It is much better having the warnings.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:28 PM

708 posts, read 682,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkGreen View Post
Well the good thing about being in Moore is that since May 3rd, Moore is usually very aware of stormy weather, and thus are prepared. The schools and businesses should have a complete tornado warning plan in place.

People say never get out in a storm and that's true, but if the storm is still 30 minutes away and you feel real scared, you could do a quick drive to Norman. Whether you want to believe the hidden riverbed theory, or the stories of it being built on an Native American burial ground, Norman is untouched by tornadoes.

Maybe tornadoes are OU Sooner fans
my grandma and grandpa have only seen 3 tornadoes in their life...and none in Norman where they live. they probaly r Sooner Fans haha

Old 04-18-2008, 01:08 PM

272 posts, read 999,211 times
I love this state, and i have ties in this state, but with the weather,why would anybody live in this state?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 PM

why would earthquakes stop u from moving to CA. every state has there weather and everybody was scared of it..umm where would everybody be? Yes OK has tornadoes but it doesnt stop people from moving here. OK is none for tornadoes and the people who live there know how to deal with it adn what to do. each state comes with its stuff and its not always fun. i love OK and i and nothing would stop me from moving there. also another thing it just like people who grow up in CA dont know anything different and your not use to different weather...to me it was kinda rude to the people who or have lived in this wonderful state. to some people OK is there home and they dont care about the weather...KS was my home for awhile so was OK and i loved both!

please dont talk bad about our state

thank u!

also one more thing if your going to talk about about our state and say the bad things about it and turn people away from this amazing wonderful beautiful state please dont come on here

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyk View Post
my grandmother is a Chickasaw Indian and was raised in Duncan, ok. she still has some really cool pics. her dad chased them
me and my daddy use to go chasing tornadoes...

Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,763,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
me and my daddy use to go chasing tornadoes...
So someday when you're finished your education, and married with children, living in OK, you'll chase tornados with hubby and your kids.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
So someday when you're finished your education, and married with children, living in OK, you'll chase tornados with hubby and your kids.
yup...family tradition!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City