Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times

Advertisements

OK, so I just included Oklahoma city on choices of relocating.

I KNOW NOTHING about the place, except for "where" it is

Here's everyones chance to give some 1st impressions what the city might have to offer.

About me:

Late 30's marrried with 3 boys, currently living in Maine and looking to move south for a change, mostly in weather, but also in culture. Maine can be a little too slow for me.

We want good public schools, low crime, and a 4br 2 ba home (are pool homes popular we would prefer one) with some sort of a yard but mostly in a "family friendly, walkable- NEIGHBORHOD". We would be looking to spend from 225k-275k

Is this possible. Is Oklahoma city a livable city? or are there many bedroom communities outside the city that might have what I am looking for?

Access to an airport for occasional travell

And just out of curosity......how are the taxes?

and any other info you might find helpfull to me.......thanks everyone

Last edited by flycessna; 04-07-2008 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I hope a resident chimes in, and I'm sure they will. I think you can find all of that in OkC. Just about any lifestyle that you like can be found there. The weather is drastically different from Maine, but OkC is a great place with friendly people and there is a lot to do. Hopefully some of the fine residents of the OkC area will chime in soon and give you some really good info.

BTW, you can also read some of the many posts on this thread and find out a lot about what OkC has to offer.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
There are several suburbs around OKC that will have what you are looking for, and your price range will get a nice house. Some communities, or developments, have neighborhood swimming pools that are nice to have, and promote family friendly living.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
There are several suburbs around OKC that will have what you are looking for, and your price range will get a nice house. Some communities, or developments, have neighborhood swimming pools that are nice to have, and promote family friendly living.
Thank you.

What neighborhoods in particular are you talking about?....

Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
The following wikipedia article may be helpful.

Neighborhoods of Oklahoma City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Thank you.

What neighborhoods in particular are you talking about?....
I am thinking of two neighborhoods in Edmond I am familiar with: Bristol Park and Copperfield. These neighborhoods are more in the $150 to $200K price ranges though. There are many neighborhoods like that in Edmond though, with larger houses and lots.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Is this possible. Is Oklahoma city a livable city? or are there many bedroom communities outside the city that might have what I am looking for?
Wow, tough one.

Lets see if I can find a parallel..........

Finding what you are looking for in OKC would be a lot like trying to find fresh lobster in Maine...........it's just about anywhere you look.

It is easier to tell you what we don't have. We don't have a sea port (the closest one is in Tulsa), so sea food is frequently defined by Red Lobster. We don't have that weird regional accent that you downeasters use to make yourselves unintelligible. We don't allow snow to accumulate to absurd levels. We don't salt our roads very often (our cars tend to rust out from the sun, not the salt). We don't wear jackets in the summer.

Virtually all the bedroom communities (they really aren't bedroom communities, but they have many of those characteristics) have everything you are looking for.

Check out a map, locate a community or a neighborhood you think you will like, and ask us about that one.....there are too many that meet your criteria to list here.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Hi Flycessna, welcome to the OK forum.

I moved here from NJ a little over a month ago. I have been corresponding with the fine people on this forum since November. They have been EXTREMELY helpful in my relocation.

We bought a house in Mustang. It is a very family friendly town. There is a wonderful new community center with all sorts of activities going on, as well as a community pool. My daughter is in the high school and so far I am very impressed with the schools.

I know you could find something in your price range, and even lower in Mustang. We are about a 15-20 minute ride to the airport, but don't have any of the airport noise to contend with.

The property taxes here are about 1/3 (or less) of what they were in New Jersey. My car insurance is less as are utilities. The only thing higher is my homeowner's insurance. OK has an income tax and sales tax. Gas and food is about the same as it was in NJ, but NJ has one of the lowest gas prices in the county.

Any other questions, ask away.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Hi Flycessna, welcome to the OK forum.

I moved here from NJ a little over a month ago. I have been corresponding with the fine people on this forum since November. They have been EXTREMELY helpful in my relocation.

We bought a house in Mustang. It is a very family friendly town. There is a wonderful new community center with all sorts of activities going on, as well as a community pool. My daughter is in the high school and so far I am very impressed with the schools.

I know you could find something in your price range, and even lower in Mustang. We are about a 15-20 minute ride to the airport, but don't have any of the airport noise to contend with.

The property taxes here are about 1/3 (or less) of what they were in New Jersey. My car insurance is less as are utilities. The only thing higher is my homeowner's insurance. OK has an income tax and sales tax. Gas and food is about the same as it was in NJ, but NJ has one of the lowest gas prices in the county.

Any other questions, ask away.
Thank you so much. I live in Maine but I grew up in Ma and I also have lived in Va/Dc area.

Maine is very expensive for what I am looking for. Expensive housing, High taxes ect. I know NJ is really bad for property taxes.

I am looking for a town that has all the ammenities like stores, restaurants ect..but is also Walkable and piture esq. I mean...at least in Ma, and I know some places in NJ too. A town square, neighborhoods with sidewalks, opportunities for kids to get on their bikes and actually ride to their friends house.

Maybe a little to much Andy Griffith I know

But I ahve spent some time in Phoenix and even though there are not "townships" that meet that criterea, they have large neighborhoods that could almost qualify as their own little town.

So I hope that clarifies a little bit more of what I am looking for, but from the initial sound of it, OKC has a LOT to offer.

P.S. I have no problem with spending less.....those figures were the upper limit of what I feel comfortable with.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM

OKC is not all that picturesque, but I just drove through the Shenandoah Valley on our vacation. Most of the suburbs next to OKC do have a historic downtown though. Bike riding by kids is common in the suburbs. Sidewalks in the newer neighborhoods are made with bikes and baby strollers in mind.

There are some older neighborhoods in OKC city limits that are nice, but for the most part those are for the younger single people or couples with no children.

I would look at Norman, Moore, Mustang, Yukon, Piedmont, and Edmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City