Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 PM

10 posts, read 8,802 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
So glad to have found this place!! Anyways, Im an established airline worker living in the dfw area. The overcrowding and cost of living has inspired us to move. After much research and sleepless nights it seems OKC is about the only option. Close to our tx families and most info seems to point towards better cost of living. That being said Tx doesn’t have state income tax. My 189,000 house just appraised for 240,000 4 years after purchase. Our taxes are based off appraisal so our mortgage has risen nearly 400 dollars in last three years.

Between cost of living increases and insane traffic and overcrowding OKC seems like a good choice. Just curious if its really gonna be affordable after grocery tax and state income tax. Looking mainly at the Moore area. Need decent schools, good cost of living, and something near Will rogers World airport. (OKC)

Thanks for all the help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 AM

17,625 posts, read 13,438,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtm808 View Post
Hey all,
So glad to have found this place!! Anyways, Im an established airline worker living in the dfw area. The overcrowding and cost of living has inspired us to move. After much research and sleepless nights it seems OKC is about the only option. Close to our tx families and most info seems to point towards better cost of living. That being said Tx doesn’t have state income tax. My 189,000 house just appraised for 240,000 4 years after purchase. Our taxes are based off appraisal so our mortgage has risen nearly 400 dollars in last three years.

Between cost of living increases and insane traffic and overcrowding OKC seems like a good choice. Just curious if its really gonna be affordable after grocery tax and state income tax. Looking mainly at the Moore area. Need decent schools, good cost of living, and something near Will rogers World airport. (OKC)

Thanks for all the help!!
Quite frankly my guess is that in Oklahoma you are going to pay a little bit more on state income tax and grocery tax than you would on property tax on a 250 K house. However you may get the difference back on travel if you live in a community close to the airport in OKC.

If you live in west Moore the airport is 10 minutes away. Mustang is west of the airport and is probably 10-15 minutes away. Mustang has good schools and it is a smaller than Moore and although it's not really much further from the airport it is a bit further from the hustle and bustle of the metro itself.

A third option is Newcastle. Probably 20 minutes from the airport but an easy drive in. It is small and still has a bit of the country feel to it.

There are going to be a lot of options for housing in that 150 to 250K price range in the cities around the airport and for public schools I think Moore, Mustang and Newcastle are pretty solid at least by Oklahoma standards.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Good info there. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 AM

23,935 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Mustang:
Schools are very good, town is trying to get into the 21st century, limited shopping, minutes to Roy Rogers back gate.

Pull up historic weather - somehow Mustang is on the outskirts of tornado alley.

Run your numbers - income tax and property tax and grocery tax versus property tax and vehicles in TX. Same purchase price Tarrant and Canadian County and about 1/4 of property tax.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 AM

Anyone from dfw move to okc area? Good, bad, indifferent?

Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 AM

23,935 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Quote:
Would not consider moving back.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,767,707 times
For a while I was considering moving to DFW from OKC. Thats because the culture here is so weird and people are very cliquish. Hopefully you get in the right community and can become friends with your neighbors. Church seems to be the only other way to meet people, so be sure to find one. Not sure why Edmond hasn't been mentioned, but south Edmond is nice and you can find house in that price range. You do have to look though.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:33 PM

17,625 posts, read 13,438,260 times
[quote=Atlguy39;55246713]For a while I was considering moving to DFW from OKC. Thats because the culture here is so weird and people are very cliquish. Hopefully you get in the right community and can become friends with your neighbors. Church seems to be the only other way to meet people, so be sure to find one. Not sure why Edmond hasn't been mentioned, but sout

The only thing wrong with Edmond in the OP's situation is that it is a pretty good drive to the airport. But certainly if commute wasn't an issue then you would have Edmond, Norman and Yukon on the list.

I don't know what the OP's commute is at DFW but Edmond to the airport is going to be at least 30 and as much as 50 minutes. I suppose if you lived off May or Portland and 33rd or 15th street you could get from Edmond to the Airport in slightly less then 30 minutes if traffic wasn't too bad.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:

I'm a Native Okie who lived in Fort Worth for over a decade.

It feels a lot like OK City. People, culture, accents, food, college football craziness, Cowboy/Ag history in the line of the old Southwest, and the oil and gas feel similar.

Dallas obviously is much more cosmopolitan than both cities.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
[quote=eddie gein;55251859]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
For a while I was considering moving to DFW from OKC. Thats because the culture here is so weird and people are very cliquish. Hopefully you get in the right community and can become friends with your neighbors. Church seems to be the only other way to meet people, so be sure to find one. Not sure why Edmond hasn't been mentioned, but sout

The only thing wrong with Edmond in the OP's situation is that it is a pretty good drive to the airport. But certainly if commute wasn't an issue then you would have Edmond, Norman and Yukon on the list.

I don't know what the OP's commute is at DFW but Edmond to the airport is going to be at least 30 and as much as 50 minutes. I suppose if you lived off May or Portland and 33rd or 15th street you could get from Edmond to the Airport in slightly less then 30 minutes if traffic wasn't too bad.
If he lived in west Edmond and close to Hefner Parkway it's very close via the 74/I-44 West route. Even access via the turnpike makes it easy to get to from the NW side of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City