Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 705 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the Florida Panhandle from geographically south Naples, FL to suddenly find that we are living in an area with a pleasant southern drawl. Lived in southern Maryland, Northern Virginia where folks sounded more or less like us. Here we hear Mam, Sir,Yahl, Miss with my first name, Mr Lee, (my husband) etc.
The above explains why I recalled my Oklahoma classmate who suddenly appeared in our San Francisco, California classroom in January 1946. The Principal introduced him to us, and our 7th grade homeroom teacher, Mrs Ryan, took it from there. His name was Otis-Neville Weatherspoon (name altered) and there was a hyphen, meaning that he was called by both names. Mrs Ryan asked him if we should call him Otis or Otis-Neville. Our new Oklahoma classmate grinned widely and in a totally weird accent said "Yahl can call me either or both names". The boys guffawed and we girls tittered. Nobody, but nobody, sounded like Otis except dummies in movie cartoons. And his name? We had a Billy and a Bobbly, a Ken, a Norm, a Tommy, a Mike, but an Otis, let alone Otis-Neville. We were 12 years old and oh so rude and thoughtless. Bobbly, the class clown, blurted out, "Does your Dad talk funny like you?" Otis, laughed, and said, "Ya, mah dahd talks funny, cuz he's from London, England and has an English accent". Later that day Mrs Ryan gave us a stern talking to in Otis-Neville's absence, but it did no good we got even meaner to him, especially the girls.
And so it went all day, which must have been the most miserable day of Otis-Neville's life.
Forgive me and your California classmates. Maybe Karma has taken care of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:30 AM

231 posts, read 390,888 times
I hope Otis sees this post.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:41 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
This incident happened 72 years ago, and the OP still remembers it clearly. Obviously it made a big impact on her. OP, maybe it will help if you imagine Otis-Neville living a happy, successful, joyful life. Imagine that he married, had kids, had a successful career, and is now enjoying his retirement. And, imagine that he used his experience in California to learn to roll with the punches and not let others get the better of him.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:05 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This incident happened 72 years ago, and the OP still remembers it clearly. Obviously it made a big impact on her. OP, maybe it will help if you imagine Otis-Neville living a happy, successful, joyful life. Imagine that he married, had kids, had a successful career, and is now enjoying his retirement. And, imagine that he used his experience in California to learn to roll with the punches and not let others get the better of him.
You might be surprised..

Old 10-27-2019, 03:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogal View Post
We recently moved to the Florida Panhandle from geographically south Naples, FL to suddenly find that we are living in an area with a pleasant southern drawl. Lived in southern Maryland, Northern Virginia where folks sounded more or less like us. Here we hear Mam, Sir,Yahl, Miss with my first name, Mr Lee, (my husband) etc.
The above explains why I recalled my Oklahoma classmate who suddenly appeared in our San Francisco, California classroom in January 1946. The Principal introduced him to us, and our 7th grade homeroom teacher, Mrs Ryan, took it from there. His name was Otis-Neville Weatherspoon (name altered) and there was a hyphen, meaning that he was called by both names. Mrs Ryan asked him if we should call him Otis or Otis-Neville. Our new Oklahoma classmate grinned widely and in a totally weird accent said "Yahl can call me either or both names". The boys guffawed and we girls tittered. Nobody, but nobody, sounded like Otis except dummies in movie cartoons. And his name? We had a Billy and a Bobbly, a Ken, a Norm, a Tommy, a Mike, but an Otis, let alone Otis-Neville. We were 12 years old and oh so rude and thoughtless. Bobbly, the class clown, blurted out, "Does your Dad talk funny like you?" Otis, laughed, and said, "Ya, mah dahd talks funny, cuz he's from London, England and has an English accent". Later that day Mrs Ryan gave us a stern talking to in Otis-Neville's absence, but it did no good we got even meaner to him, especially the girls.
And so it went all day, which must have been the most miserable day of Otis-Neville's life.
Forgive me and your California classmates. Maybe Karma has taken care of us.

If you know his real identity, and he's still alive, why don't you just write him a letter or send him an email? It would probably make his day.

If he's on Facebook you could message him. Like most Okies I know, he'll probably receive the apology in kind and laugh it off and tell you that it's no big deal. Okies are a rowdy lot, but we're generally pretty laid back on these kind of issues.

As for Oklahomans talking funny, I always thought everyone else sounded funny. My momma always would say to transplants and Yankee folks (jokingly of course!), "We don't talk funny, ya'll do."

Old 10-27-2019, 04:28 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
I'm glad you like Southern drawls. I find nothing pleasant or cute about them. All I hear is redneck.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:21 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I'm glad you like Southern drawls. I find nothing pleasant or cute about them. All I hear is redneck.
Well hon, bless yer little heart.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:49 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Quote:
Seriously? You come to the Oklahoma forum to denigrate the way they talk? Are you always this rude, or is today a special occasion?

Old 10-28-2019, 04:17 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Seriously? You come to the Oklahoma forum to denigrate the way they talk? Are you always this rude, or is today a special occasion?
I like the way YOU talk..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjfd4hnE-PI

Old 11-09-2019, 08:16 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Mah ma always told me ah'd know when ah met an idjit.

She wuz right........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City