Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:53 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What?

I don't live in Edmond. Haven't since high school.

Tell me what is wrong with my post regarding Dallas suburbs exploding and OKC's growing more slowly.

It's interesting... Mustang has grown as much or more than anyplace else in the OKC area. It's basically tripled in size since 1990, but that is nothing compared to the north Dallas suburbs.
I'd say far northwest OKC (west Edmond) has seen the most explosive suburban growth. In the early 2000s there wasn't much out there but now the metro has expanded significantly above the Kilpatrick. However, the city of OKC doesn't want to invest in the infrastructure out there. It gets much better once you cross into Edmond city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 08:21 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I saw in a Dallas area rag just over a year ago (pre-pandemic) that Collin County (Plano/Allen/McKinney/Frisco) would pass Dallas and Tarrant (Fort Worth) county in population by 2040. I believe it, based on the rampant and uncontrolled growth in Collin County. Denton reminds me of Del City or El Reno, not a place one would want to live, kinda slummy. I was disappointed when I went downtown there to the Armadillo Ale Works and that part of Denton seemed a lot like... Muskogee or Garfield Park (Chicago). Run down.
Readers, don't listen to Sluggo. Denton is a nice college town (Two colleges) with low crime and decent schools and train access to Dallas and near two large lakes. The square is attractive with a great old courthouse on the national registry.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:11 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Readers, don't listen to Sluggo. Denton is a nice college town (Two colleges) with low crime and decent schools and train access to Dallas and near two large lakes. The square is attractive with a great old courthouse on the national registry.
This goes to my point about the "newness" of the north Dallas suburban area. Denton actually has a part of town that is actually "old". It was the third largest city in the metro for decades behind Dallas and Fort Worth.

Here are some 1950 population stats (rounded to the nearest 1K)

Denton- 21K
Grand Prairie-15K
McKinney- 10K
Garland-10K
Arlington-8K
Irving-3K
Mesquite-2k
Carrollton-2K
Plano-2K
Grapevine-2K
Farmers Branch-1K

There just simply isn't alot of "old" built environment in the Dallas suburban area. And in places like Plano what old there was is being replaced by new and newer.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I stand by my comments. Denton isn't McKinney or Allen. Away from the square it's a lot like Gainesville or Sherman, not as generic. Its saving grace is NTSU, which is helping to revitalize downtown. Maybe in a few years as that transition takes place, Denton will be a showcase; it's happened before, Norman and Tempe being examples of revitalization of a downtown with a major college helping out. I truly hope so, because that area is on my short list of retirement locations. I was disappointed with Denton for that reason.

Unless something's changed in a year, the biggest annoyance with Denton is I-35E which seems to be under near-continuous construction. Nothing unusual about that, however, there are a number of places in the Metroplex that are like that (most notably the I-35W/I-820 interchange in Ft Worth).

Old 04-20-2021, 01:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I agree except I35 is like central in dallas or I10 in houston in that not enough land owned initially by TxDOT to expand into do cost and time to acquire the land extends the time frame.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:58 PM

374 posts, read 256,752 times
I've always found the Dallas suburbs to be far more put together and much more cosmopolitan and richer in appearance than pretty much anywhere in Oklahoma. OKC suburbs like Norman and Edmond are pretty okay by most standards and could easily be compared to a lot of Outer Loop suburbs around the Dallas area but even they are a step or two below what you'll find across most of DFW.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
I've always found the Dallas suburbs to be far more put together and much more cosmopolitan and richer in appearance than pretty much anywhere in Oklahoma. OKC suburbs like Norman and Edmond are pretty okay by most standards and could easily be compared to a lot of Outer Loop suburbs around the Dallas area but even they are a step or two below what you'll find across most of DFW.
Yeah, but Edmond gets rated 92 for livability. Only a few Dallas suburbs can top that.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:25 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, but Edmond gets rated 92 for livability. Only a few Dallas suburbs can top that.
Edmond is very nice considering it still has it's core element of being a small college town, it is still basically a "first ring" suburb, it is buffered from OKC because NE OKC hasn't developed on it's NE side and it is juxtaposed to the more elite part of OKC growth on it's west side. Throw in the fact that Deer Creek schools are attracting a lot of really nice development due west of Edmond and like most other suburban OKC towns...it still has open country exposure in some directions...I think does have a lot to offer.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 AM

390 posts, read 366,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Edmond is very nice considering it still has it's core element of being a small college town, it is still basically a "first ring" suburb, it is buffered from OKC because NE OKC hasn't developed on it's NE side and it is juxtaposed to the more elite part of OKC growth on it's west side. Throw in the fact that Deer Creek schools are attracting a lot of really nice development due west of Edmond and like most other suburban OKC towns...it still has open country exposure in some directions...I think does have a lot to offer.
Your post has me excited that we are finally <officially> moving to Edmond at the end of the month! Seemed like a great spot when we visited.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Great. I hope you like the somewhat hilly, wooded Arcadia Lake area on Route 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City