Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 03:08 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,314,353 times

Advertisements

I thought Devin started in Oklahoma then moved to Houston before moving back to OKC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 05:19 PM

17,606 posts, read 13,425,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I thought Devin started in Oklahoma then moved to Houston before moving back to OKC?
I think the story is that Devon had operations in both OKC and Houston until they built the tower. Then they moved everything to OKC. They had a smaller HQ in OKC before the tower was built. When they moved into the tower Harold Hamm moved Continental Resources out of Enid and into the old Devon building.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:32 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,480,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
OKC and Tulsa have never had growth like that because they are too close to those other major metros. Historically, every single large oil company ever created in Oklahoma has ended up either moving to Texas or being bought out by one in Texas. Conoco, Phillips, Sun, Kerr McGee, Champlin...the list is long.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this new generation of Oil and Gas Cos from Oklahoma end up doing. With modern communication and transportation there isn't the pressure to move like their was in the past. It would all be due to taxes and financials these days.

I've always felt like OKC and Tulsa's chance for growth will come when Houston, DFW, Denver, KC and STL get so big and unwieldy that they lose their appeal. I guess you can add Austin to that list nowadays.

Hasn't really happened yet but it might.
Your key words are " get so unwieldy that they lose their appeal " how many Oklahoman
want a 3 Million Metro in the state?

I'm from Tulsa , and Texas did to Oklahoma what it's currently trying to do to California
" Steal It's Corporations "....lol.....

Californians are saved by oceans,beachs,valleys,mountains and beautiful women , for
the time being.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Tulsa isn't blacklisted. It's not going to get a team because it's smaller than any metropolitan area in the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL, with the sole exception of Green Bay. However, the Packers are a holdover from the days when smaller cities had teams, and it draws support from Milwaukee (which has no NFL team, and is about the same distance from Green Bay as Oklahoma City is from Tulsa). There are no less than 26 metros with more people that Tulsa which don't have an NBA team. It's not going to get a team because it would make absolutely zero sense for either an owner or the league to put one there.

Greater LA will get a 3rd NBA team (the Sacramento Kings looked at moving to Anaheim a few years back) before Tulsa gets one.
MILWAUKEE JUST WON THE NBA FINAL , so ask yourself if TULSA won it all , (the NBA FINAL)
would 20,000 fans be inside the BOK CENTER with 65,000 screaming fans outside celebrating.

Tulsa couldn't even fill the BOK CENTER for donald trump , not even half way full !!!

Old 07-21-2021, 12:31 PM

795 posts, read 792,305 times
I can see an NBA team in Kansas City, St Louis, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh before you even think of placing a sports team in Tulsa. OK already has an NBA team (Thunder), and one wonders how long it will last. When the NBA expands to 32 teams, I can see Seattle and even Montreal getting teams and outside of those two cities, anther city I can see an NBA doing well is KC due to the fact that KC as a new arena that has yet to be utilized, there's basketball culture with the University of Kansas as well as Wilt Chamberlain playing for that school.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:08 PM

29,753 posts, read 11,352,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I hope that you are right , but keep a lookout for those anti growth folks.

3 Million OKC Metro is larger than KCMO/St. Louis/Char NC/Indianapolis/Cleveland/
Cinn OH/Columbus OH.

OKC would be climbing to near DENVER AND SEATTLE STATUS.

I watched the Phoenix area grow. Only things that stop it now are the mountains and the reservations. OKC does not have to worry about that. Especially going west. I do notice that even during the morning when I sometimes come into town the traffic is not too bad. Unless there is a wreck.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I can see an NBA team in Kansas City, St Louis, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh before you even think of placing a sports team in Tulsa. OK already has an NBA team (Thunder), and one wonders how long it will last. When the NBA expands to 32 teams, I can see Seattle and even Montreal getting teams and outside of those two cities, anther city I can see an NBA doing well is KC due to the fact that KC as a new arena that has yet to be utilized, there's basketball culture with the University of Kansas as well as Wilt Chamberlain playing for that school.
All those cities you mentioned sans Pittsburgh have had NBA franchises that failed. All of them had ABA teams as well (but that league folded).

As far as the Thunder go they considered a joint venture with Tulsa originally but none of the Tulsa big money guys were interested in investing.

And the Thunder isn't going anywhere. OKC in particular and the state of Oklahoma hang their hat on the Thunder as the one thing that gives OKC/Oklahoma credibility outside of college sports. Everybody in the state knows that if we allow the Thunder to fail or leave that it would just confirm to everyone outside of state that we are nothing but Mississippi with oil wells. As long as we have the Thunder we are a cut above that and we at least have our foot in the door with the big boys of professional league cities.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
All those cities you mentioned sans Pittsburgh have had NBA franchises that failed. All of them had ABA teams as well (but that league folded).

As far as the Thunder go they considered a joint venture with Tulsa originally but none of the Tulsa big money guys were interested in investing.

And the Thunder isn't going anywhere. OKC in particular and the state of Oklahoma hang their hat on the Thunder as the one thing that gives OKC/Oklahoma credibility outside of college sports. Everybody in the state knows that if we allow the Thunder to fail or leave that it would just confirm to everyone outside of state that we are nothing but Mississippi with oil wells. As long as we have the Thunder we are a cut above that and we at least have our foot in the door with the big boys of professional league cities.
OKC/Tulsa joint project fizzed out because the thunders don't play regular season games
at the BOK Center.

And the Thunder are as important as the OU Sooners and the OSU Cowboys , they will
never leave Oklahoma.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
OKC/Tulsa joint project fizzed out because the thunders don't play regular season games
at the BOK Center.
Again, from what I understand the OKC owners asked the Tulsa money guys if they were interested in getting involved and they declined.

I wish they had signed on because if the Thunder had an OKC schedule and a Tulsa schedule it would increase the season ticket base and it would also have helped OU and OSU basketball out with their ticket sales.

As it is, people are buying Thunder tickets and OU and OSU are suffering because people who used to attend their games are now having to go to Thunder games all the time. Having a Tulsa Thunder schedule would have helped the state colleges (of course it would hurt TU a bit) but still. 20 Thunder games in each market would have been a great way to do it IMO.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Again, from what I understand the OKC owners asked the Tulsa money guys if they were interested in getting involved and they declined.

I wish they had signed on because if the Thunder had an OKC schedule and a Tulsa schedule it would increase the season ticket base and it would also have helped OU and OSU basketball out with their ticket sales.

As it is, people are buying Thunder tickets and OU and OSU are suffering because people who used to attend their games are now having to go to Thunder games all the time. Having a Tulsa Thunder schedule would have helped the state colleges (of course it would hurt TU a bit) but still. 20 Thunder games in each market would have been a great way to do it IMO.
OKC may have a shot at bringing George Kaisar on board , would even settle for 1/3 of the
home games being played in Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City