Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 09:16 PM

817 posts, read 626,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Part of it is definitely the weather.

I have friends who are from Pittsburg who live in Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage (California), and they would never go back, just re the weather alone.

With one couple, the wife's mother came out for a visit from the Pittsburg metro, staying in their guest house.....and she never left....and that was 20 years ago .
Pittsburgh is gloomier than Seattle and with tons of snow on top of that? yeah nah it's too much lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 11:11 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
When I lived in Wichita it rarely snowed and when it did the town shut down due to not having any equipment. Salina got snow but Wichita mainly got rain. We spent plenty of time in the basement April through September because of tornados. It was windy every day. That got old fast. It was cheap to live there and still is. Let’s not forget the heat/humidity and it doesn’t cool down at night. Ugh!

Old 04-25-2022, 12:45 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I lived in Wichita it rarely snowed and when it did the town shut down due to not having any equipment. Salina got snow but Wichita mainly got rain. We spent plenty of time in the basement April through September because of tornados. It was windy every day. That got old fast. It was cheap to live there and still is. Let’s not forget the heat/humidity and it doesn’t cool down at night. Ugh!

I've been to 93 of the 100 largest cities in the U.S. (all but Anchorage, Ft. Wayne, Honolulu, Lexington, Laredo, Corpus Christi, and Boise) and Wichita is the one of those 93 that I liked the least.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:51 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
I've been to 93 of the 100 largest cities in the U.S. (all but Anchorage, Ft. Wayne, Honolulu, Lexington, Laredo, Corpus Christi, and Boise) and Wichita is the one of those 93 that I liked the least.
What was it about Wichita? I had to go there in December. A time of year when most of the trees and all lawns are dead. Not sure I would say its any better or worse than say Lubbock or Fresno.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:05 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Well then, you need to scurry on down to Laredo then.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:38 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Wichita is flat and ugly but the people are very nice.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:58 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I've had a safe room for tornadoes to go to for the past 18 years. I've yet to spend any time in there over a tornado. I'm not that scared of tornadoes. But I guarantee you I'm going to get real scared and panicky and head straight for that room if there is a tornado warning out and suddenly the electricity goes out. Hopefully, quite soon later I won't hear the roar of any tornado going by.

In the previous home I lived in there was no shelter. One evening while I was worried from monitoring the TV weather reports with a tornado warning in effect, all of a sudden the electricity went out. I thought to myself, "Oh, no, this must be it." So I grabbed the mattress off my bed, dragged it into the hallway and got under it. About 30 seconds later, I heard the awful loud roar of the tornado go by. Shortly after the roar subsided, I went outside to look and was relieved the house had little damage, but a 50 ft. cottonwood tree in the backyard was uprooted. Fortunately, it didn't fall on any houses. Power was out but was restored late the next afternoon. The direct path of the tornado missed me, but a big bunch of houses starting a couple of blocks north of me got severe damage. A couple of schools had roof damage.

Yeah, sometimes it can be 90 degrees at 10pm.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:39 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
LOL - there is no way for one person to drag the mattress and not enough room in the hallway.

You might have missed Saturday's fun and entertainment.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:50 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
LOL - there is no way for one person to drag the mattress and not enough room in the hallway.

You might have missed Saturday's fun and entertainment.
A queen-sized mattress and more definitely a king-sized mattress may be too big and difficult for one person to quickly move and then fit it in a hallway, but what I moved was my single sized mattress. It certainly wasn't too hard to move to the hallway at all. So, your assumption for my case is 100% wrong.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Scenery and weather are not the only factors in determining where to live. There is the political climate, access to water (fresh and salt), big employers and kinds of jobs available, other family location, quality of schools, entertainment and more.
The most affordable homes are in the least desirable areas, the most expensive homes are in the most desirable areas. That's just the demand part of "supply and demand". Many people can be very happy in a place like Oklahoma City, but unless others are anxious to move there, prices will remain low. For those reaching adulthood there, be grateful that you will be able to buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City