Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 PM

62 posts, read 219,006 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I've just finished a Ph.D. in Lafayette, La, and am considering taking a job at the OU Health Sciences Center in OKC. I just have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

1). I'm a young, male, originally from England and have found it extremely difficult to settle in Louisiana. I have found the culture to be insular, the politics to be extremely non-progressive, and have encounted racism, sexism, and general bigotry. The state as a whole also seems to be very poverty stricken, and the general scenery is bleak. I'm really hoping that it will be a different story in OKC. When I visited for interview I was impressed but was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

2). Given that I'd be working at OUHSC, where would anybody recommend for a first apartment. I'm 25 but want somewhere fairly peaceful for about 6 months until I can find somewhere more permanent to live.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Nawlins is a special place that is obviously recovering from a huge disaster. Louisiana had problems before katrina and now is ten times worse. So Oklahoma will seem like an oasis. Prepare for a culture shock because OK/OKC isnt London. You might have to buy some tight fitting wranglers, boots and some kind of super nice cowboy hat that needs to be clean at all times. Oh yeah, lots of OU shirts/stuff and maybe a gun rack. Im just kidding but you will find these people in OKC/Tulsa/Oklahoma because it is simply part of the culture.
You will find OKC a progressive, diverse city with a future that has a focus on more outdoor recreation and parks. Many projects are currently being built and lots of significant improvements to the quality of life are being made. Its a great place now and is a major up and coming city with massive future plans. OUHSC is a very large nice campus with current construction on impressive buildings now and has many in the works for the next couple of years. Great house market and economy.

Look over the Places to see and do threads at the top of the forum. There should be plenty of links to downtown living and things to do/see which is soaring because OKC is becoming more urban in the core of the city.
There are tons of apartments near bricktown/midtown/downtown which is very close to OUHSC that are great and would be perfect for someone in there mid twenties. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Hi Lillywhite

I spent a night in Lafayette not long ago. I thought the area was very pleasant. In traveling around Louisiana though, I thought there was a lot more poverty there than in Oklahoma, and not many prospects for improvement.

I think people in OKC have a positive outlook on life. I can't say much for our politics, but people here are more welcoming to people of other cultures. We don't have the unique Cajun and Creole, or old South cultures to preserve here. People here are generally looking forward to the future, not backward to the past.

The Regency Apartments, and Deep Deuce Apartments are 2 apartments I would look at.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
You'll find OkC loads different from Lousiana. I second what Happytown and Peggydavis. I think you'll love it in OkC.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 PM

24 posts, read 68,125 times
Quote:
Prepare for a culture shock because OK/OKC isnt London. You might have to buy some tight fitting wranglers, boots and some kind of super nice cowboy hat that needs to be clean at all times.
lol that is almost classified as a stereotypical statement! Oklahoma City is not all cowboy'd out like the surrounding suburbs. I don't think I have ever worn a pair of boots or cowboy hat or wranglers...lol (it made me laugh though)!:0

We are a wonderful city, of course we have our political problems as do any other cities, but we are growing in a major way so that is to be expected. So far all the growth has been wonderful for the economy here. The cost of living is average, it is going up everywhere so it is hard to compare. Oklahoma City has alot to offer a 25 year old single Doctor! and of course it has alot to offer families. OUHSC is a wonderful place, I hope you take the position and it turns out good for you.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Yeah, I was actually totally kidding. Many times you will find more Goth, Punk, Gay or other lifestyles before a complete redneck cowboy in the OKC city proper.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 AM

24 posts, read 68,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Yeah, I was actually totally kidding. Many times you will find more Goth, Punk, Gay or other lifestyles before a complete redneck cowboy in the OKC city proper.
Yep, your right about that!..lmao! There is a very wide variety of people here! The cowboys all got smart and got the H*&% out of the metro! Just think what it is going to be like when they finish downtown and we have an NBA team transplanted here! If your a people watcher, downtown is certainly the place to be!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM

62 posts, read 219,006 times
Thanks *very* much for your opinions. It sounds like OKC will be much more to my liking than Lafayette. When I visited for interview it seemed very clean compared to Louisiana, and OUHSC was extremely impressive. I didn't get to see much of downtown/bricktown, but I will visit again shortly.

Thank you again.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 AM

266 posts, read 971,634 times
You will enjoy OKC more than Louisiana. OKC is hopping right now when it comes to development and OKC (with Mick Cornett anyway) is showing some very progressive signs. Scenery wise, well for the most part it's flat. But there are certain areas where it's really hilly. Lake Hefner is a real nice place to visit. And the entire medical district is hopping right now, and I think you'll like the OUHSC. Bricktown is growing, and is a place that someone your age will like due to all the bars and things. I think overall you'll like a lot more of Lafayette. I hope you enjoy it here and good luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 19,306 times
I work at the OU Health Sciences center. I've been there for a year and a half. It's a really great place to work. Are you going to be on the academic side or medical side?
I have a grandma, cousin, sister, and two of my best friends who all started working here because I recommended it.
There is a lot of new construction in this area and they are spending a lot of money to make it more beautiful. The 13 story OU Children's Physicians is going to be gorgeous and have a glass atrium connecting it to the entrance of Everett Tower. (The Children's Hospital) and they are building a new cancer center as well.
It's really the best place I have found to work so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City