Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,637 times

Advertisements

I work for Crest, so I'm biased. They have the best stores I've ever been to.

I don't know what the word is around the public, but from inside the company word is we are building a store at SW 104th and S May Ave. Likely by the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:47 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I looked at Crest's website. It resembles Costco or Sam's Club, at least in their philosophy. I like their motto "Stack 'em high and sell 'em low!"

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM

97 posts, read 368,860 times
For now, there's Forward Foods in downtown Norman (123 East Main).

Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I looked at Crest's website. It resembles Costco or Sam's Club, at least in their philosophy. I like their motto "Stack 'em high and sell 'em low!"
Ha, the website is a joke. I don't think they've updated it in 5 years.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 AM

29 posts, read 85,949 times
being an east coaster originally, add me to the oklahoma grocery stores suck list!

walmart or homeland are about the only chain choices and walmart has become a warehouse foods with fewer and fewer brands. even quality cleaning materials that are very common are non-existent in walmart.

i don't know how homeland stays in business. you always see poor ppl there, but their prices are outrageous. ran in there to get spaghetti the other day and they had some crap brand (skinner i think) for $2.48 a pound.

my husband usually does the shopping, but i can't imagine a cheap brand costing that much.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
The way things are going lately, we will be paying $4 for a package of spaghetti soon.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:19 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The way things are going lately, we will be paying $4 for a package of spaghetti soon.
Unfortunately, this is true. With fuel prices rising to unforeseen levels, the truckers have to raise the cost of transporting those goods.

I really feel for the truckers; many of the independent truckers are being hit really hard. Even the company truckers are taking a huge hit in the pocketbook.

Think about that the next time you see a trucker on the road. These guys and gals are supplying our way of life, and they are salt of the earth folks. They are being hit worse than any of us.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
I don't know about the salt of the earth part. I think the trucker company's will simply pass on the costs to the customers. The truckers are absorbing the increased costs just like the rest of us working yahoos.

On the grocery store topic, the first thing one notices when leaving large metro's is the loss of wide multi-cultural foods and restaurants.

We also have a local grocer that is so overpriced, its a wonder he stays in business. I think he makes it simply because there are so many quick trips to the grocer in between major shopping trips to super wal-mart which is 30 miles away.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
What ever happened to just plain country food? I've had sushi in Japan, dog in Bangkok, monkey in the Philippines, cheese in the Netherlands, some kind of meat that was unidentifiable in Tunisia, A Persian pilaf in Istanbul, Greek figs and oranges and lemons in Athens, pizza in Naples, ravioli in Rome, whistle and squeak in London, salmon in Scotland, Herring in Oslo, lobster on the beach in Nova Scotia..............in short, excellent food all around the world.......and some food I would rather not have again. But here at home, I can make a pretty good tapenade, a nice pesto, a good salsa, I can do tex mex, and Italian (you should try some of the Italian sausage schouse made from our hogs last year). Basil grows in pots. So does rosemary. So do chives. So does cilantro, and tarragon, and sage and all the rest the herbs needed to prepare great food.

Find a local butcher, and get some fresh, locally grown, grass fed, free range meat. Go to the farmers market and pick up some nice squash or corn or beets or turnips or green beans or asparagus or anything fresh and just picked. If you don't have a farmers market, find a farm......

Try some eggs from a place where the chickens are walking around the house. If you can't get to Claremore, get your milk and butter from Braum's.....it is better and less money than the supermarkets (usually). Get your honey from a local beekeeper (or get honey that is locally produced.......it will help alleviate your allergies).

Go to the supermarket for your other necessities......tp, sugar, salt, wheat flour, corn meal, coffee, etc.

Fixing good food has little to do with exotic ingredients.....it has everything to do with fresh and local......and unless you are on the north slope of Alaska, there are lots of fresh things out there to eat (there are on the north slope, but I am not that fond of blubber or polar bear).......

And Oklahoma has great beef, goat, lamb, pork, chicken and turkey. We have good farms. We have tons of wheat and corn. What more do you need to when you have quality local stuff? Even our catfish is pretty durn good.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Default ...and the best part is...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/redneck-shopping.gif (broken link)

Sorry, to interject humor into this serious thread. But I saw this on the photography thread and had to run and fetch it to share the okie perception of high-falutin shopping.

Don't mind me. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City