Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Deer Creek also has a good school district and if you move to far west Edmond you might be in the Deer Creek school district.
Heather,

I have been watching this post and feel that if you are deciding between Deer Creek and Edmond, it is important to compare the two school districts carefully because they are very different in many ways!

Edmond has a large amount of commercial growth so they are well funded to handle the increase in size in the district. They have a good long range plan. They build ahead of their growth and they have excellent facilities. They seem to be well funded on a daily basis so there doesn't seem to be any problems with access to textbooks, either on-line or hard-copy. They have the same curriculum in all elementary schools with a yearly schedule so that as new elementary schools are added all the children are learning the same things and just go to a different school and open up the same books to the same page. The high schools produce a steady stream of National Merit finalists, the high schools have the lowest college remediation rates of all area public high schools (number of students who have to take remedial classes in college) and they have 3 high schools on Newsweek's list of the top 100 high schools in the nation. No matter how you feel about Newsweek's selection criteria, this is something to think about.

Deer Creek is almost opposite on all counts. They have close to zero commercial business to fund their hugh growth. They are definitely building behind their growth curve in the building department. The last elementary school opened with temporary buildings two years ago and the next elementary school will not open for another year. At this point they have completely different curriculum "methodologies" at each elementary school which means there is no standardization in what the children learn as they all go to the same middle school and are redistricted into different elementary schools (with resulting parental backlash with each attempt to redistrict for a new elementary). There are textbook issues with children having no access to on-line or hard-copy textbooks for most of the year. The high schools have one of the higher college remediation rates compared to other local suburban school districts. They have had no National Merit finalists recently as compared to districts of the same size like Piedmont who seem to produce a small steady stream of finalists. I know Deer Creek is trying hard to improve, but sometimes you have to send your children to the school district that you judge to be good NOW and not to the school which MIGHT be good sometime in the future!

I think everyone should decide for themselves what is important in a school district and call and ask very specific questions. Two schools with similar test score results can result in completely different educational experiences for your children! This is all just my opinion but hopefully I have given you ideas on what types of questions you can ask!

You can check state test results and college remediation rates at Oklahoma School Report Cards . At the Deer Creek site you can look at the student population at http://www.deercreekschools.org/studentpopulation/ and note that each of the elementary schools was built for 500 students to get a feel for how many children are in temporary buildings. The middle school is also getting overcrowded and construction has not started on a new middle school yet!

I have moved here from another state and am pretty happy. I know you will be to. No matter what problems each school district has, with concerned parents the children will be fine! I think the children at all the districts are friendly and open to making new friends. With the large growth in the area there will also be many other children who have moved into the district and are also looking for friends. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM

664 posts, read 2,081,724 times
I will agree with most of the above statement. I know the funding for the schools isnt as great as the Edmond schools and Deer Creek Schools rely quite heavily on the parental donations through fund raising activities. However, I wouldnt say that children go without books or internet. Perhaps back 8-10 yrs ago when my wife went to school there, but I have not seen this problem in my daughter's school. As far as the temporary buildings, Edmond schools have those as well due to over crowding. The middle school (Summit) I went to had 4 portable buildings (1993) and to my knowledge are still in use. Parhaps Deer Creek wasnt expecting such a rapid population influx to the west part of Edmond. The Deer Creek School district goes quite a ways south, almost to Memorial Road I believe. If they were/are struggling perhaps that wasnt such a good idea, but then again I am not sure whole ultimately decides where the school districts are. The Deer Creek School district can not be the only ones involved since the are included other towns and schools district. So perhaps the full blame can not be put on Deer Creek schools for the additional students. 8-10 yrs ago, Deer Creek was 1 highschool, 1 middle school and 1 elementary school all on one campus. 10yrs ago Edmond already had 3 highschools, a half dozen or more middle schools and dozens of elementary schools. But then again 10 yrs ago Edmond didnt go much further than Western or Penn ave.

I havent seen anything that would lead me to believe that my child is getting a sub par education.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:33 AM

8 posts, read 28,424 times
CHK was recently listed on the Best Companies to Work for list, so I'd say it's a pretty good deal. As for neighborhoods/schools, I'd like to throw some non-Edmond biased info your way. There are way more unique shops and restaurants along western by Chesapeake and the general area than ANYWHERE in Edmond. Edmond is ok if you like strip malls with every chain/big-box retailer you can imagine. Also, Chesapeake's employees are well compensated enough that you should seriously consider the private schools. While a lot of folks like the Edmond public schools, I guarantee your children will have a better experience at Casady or Heritage. In the neighborhood side of things Crown Heights, Edgemere, and Nichols Hills are far nicer and more unique than anything Edmond, America has to offer.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 8,869 times
Default See the neighborhoods for yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksarthur View Post
While a lot of folks like the Edmond public schools, I guarantee your children will have a better experience at Casady or Heritage. In the neighborhood side of things Crown Heights, Edgemere, and Nichols Hills are far nicer and more unique than anything Edmond, America has to offer.
I agree with thanksarthur 100%. If you like historic homes on tree lined streets, Crown Heights, Edgemere and Nichols hills are the places to be. Google has loaded most of Oklahoma City into Street View so you can actually roam the streets of the neighborhoods yourself. If you go to google and type in "Nichols Hills oklahoma city OK" several businesses in Nichols hills will pop up. Click on the "Street View" box on the top of the map. The streets that are lined with blue have been scanned in. Use your mouse to pick up the little yellow man and put him on any blue street. Click on the picture that appears on the pop up box. You are now roaming the streets of Oklahoma City! Use your mouse to turn and face any direction and click the arrows to move. Have fun!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
Default The Grove

Not sure if you are still interested in info on The Grove or not, but we are in the process of building there. The neighborhood should be amazing, but so far there are only about 15-20 houses. The first phase has smaller homes (under 2000 sf), but there is another phase starting that will be larger homes. All of the amenities (pool, playground,...) have not been started yet. The new Deer Creek school is underway and is set to open for the 09-10 school year. As for Chesapeake, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about working there.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 18,101 times
To all parents that are concerned about their child's education,

Deer Creek Schools are not a good choice. Especially if your kids receive special education services. Their special education department is corrupt and unethical. They often qualify kids inappropriately and make up test results to agree with what they want. Many of the schools try to overidentify kids and try to pull them out of the classroom too much! I would not recommend Deer Creek to any parent. It is a horrible place to be unless you have been there your whole life. The Special Education Director is engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a supervisee and this has clouded his judgement. He should be replaced immediately!

Concerned Deer Creek citizen

Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM

48 posts, read 244,511 times
Granted, this thread is quite old, but I thought I'd add some insight we gained when we moved here a couple of years ago.

First off, the school district boundaries are hard to figure out sometimes, so you'll need to check on an address by address basis.

Interestingly, you can have OKC addresses with Edmond OR Deer Creek schools and Edmond addresses with Deer Creek schools. It can make your head spin.

Similarly, if you have a special needs child, I would suggest sticking with Edmond schools. I have no idea whether the other poster's accusations have any merit, but, purely based on numbers and resources, Edmond schools are better equipped to handle all but the simplest IEPs. (IMHO)

One other thing we've found, is that sometimes schools that we've come to know very well are far better than their greatschools.com scores would indicate. It's my guess that this is a byproduct of them being newer schools with less of a documented track record of success, rather than from any actual shortcomings.

Finally, with a daughter in high school, we've come to realize that, although Edmond North is an excellent high school for the "average" student, it's offerings for advanced students leave a lot to be desired. The quality of the teachers in her AP courses has fallen far short of where it ought to be. Granted, at that level, the students are able to, on their own, compensate some for the teacher's deficiencies, but, as I see it, they shouldn't need to.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 PM

6,768 posts, read 11,396,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallthus View Post
Interestingly, you can have OKC addresses with Edmond OR Deer Creek schools and Edmond addresses with Deer Creek schools. It can make your head spin.
Or, like me, you can live within the city limits of Oklahoma City, but have an Edmond address and be in the Edmond school district. It's all in the garbage cans - if it's blue you're in OKC, green - Edmond.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,927 times
Hi Heather--I am from Illinois--outside SW burbs. Just moved here last year. We are also looking into moving from Yukon to Edmond. From what we have seen so far, we are excited to move to Edmond.

We are also looking into Child Care and Schools.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:59 PM

664 posts, read 2,081,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Or, like me, you can live within the city limits of Oklahoma City, but have an Edmond address and be in the Edmond school district. It's all in the garbage cans - if it's blue you're in OKC, green - Edmond.
Or you can be like me.. Logan County, Edmond Address, Deer Creek Schools, OGE Electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City