Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,605 times

Advertisements

Hello, we were thinking about taking our 2 kids on a weekend trip up to Oklahoma City. I was thinking about taking Amtrak (Heartland Flyer) to get there, but had a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with.

Is it safe to walk from the Amtrak station to your hotel? Safe not only in terms of the area and crime, but also in terms of not having to cross major highways to get from the station to the hotel. It looks like the Marriot is close by so just wanted to see if it was an easy walk.

Also, is OKC walker friendly? I was thinking about not renting a car once we got there and just walk around. Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to walk from a downtown hotel close to the Amtrak station up to the Memorial? How about the Brickyard?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 AM

62 posts, read 252,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pres0303 View Post
Hello, we were thinking about taking our 2 kids on a weekend trip up to Oklahoma City. I was thinking about taking Amtrak (Heartland Flyer) to get there, but had a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with.

Is it safe to walk from the Amtrak station to your hotel? Safe not only in terms of the area and crime, but also in terms of not having to cross major highways to get from the station to the hotel. It looks like the Marriot is close by so just wanted to see if it was an easy walk.

Also, is OKC walker friendly? I was thinking about not renting a car once we got there and just walk around. Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to walk from a downtown hotel close to the Amtrak station up to the Memorial? How about the Brickyard?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Oklahoma City is a very large city. Safe depends on where your hotel is. You only said the Marriott "looked close by." you didn't say you were staying there. If it is in the Meridian corridor near Will Rogers, or along NW Expressway, then no. If it is in Bricktown, then probably. It also depends on what time you walk, and if "we" includes a strong man, just a couple of women with a couple of small kids, or the elderly. So, without more information, your question can not realistically be answered. Some may try, however, even if they THINK they have enough information, they don't.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 PM

97 posts, read 368,773 times
There's a Courtyard by Marriott at 2 West Reno; if this is the Marriott you're referring to, it's a three-minute walk if you hit the traffic lights just right. Bricktown is just the other side of the BNSF tracks on which the Flyer operates, and is also pretty walkable - we're talking maybe six blocks west to east, less than that north to south.

The Memorial is about half a mile to the northwest. You can ride the Blue Line trolley for a quarter.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 PM

52 posts, read 219,247 times
If you plan to stay only downtown then yes it is very walkable. However if you intend to go to the Zoo or any thing else outside of DT then I would recomend a car rental.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Very walkable downtown...Just ask the Ambassadors! They ride on segways and bicycles...I had one follow me around the underground tunnelsThe Underground.
which is also a very safe way to get around. Welcome to the Oklahoma City Police Department Web-Site

Map of underground and CBD.
http://www.downtownokc.com/Portals/1...ice_map_05.pdf

" The Ambassadors are members of the City's Community Assistance Program. The Police Department is utilizing a Law Enforcement Block Grant to fund this program. The Ambassadors greet visitors and citizens and provide information on points of interest. They also function as the eyes and ears of the Police Department and provide a visible presence in the downtown and Bricktown areas. They serve in other areas of the City as well as at special events. By their availability and capability, Ambassadors are able to handle many questions that formerly required citizens to flag down a police officer for information, thus allowing the officers to spend more time patrolling and responding to calls that actually require the participation of a police officer. The Ambassadors do not engage in any enforcement action, but instead assist the public with information and report any public safety problems directly to police officers, using police radios."

Bricktown police substation...
Police captain settles in at Bricktown | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET

Hotels...3- 4star hotels in walking distance.
Downtown Oklahoma City Bricktown Hotels

Good luck

Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM

Keep in mind, the people that responded to you have cited THEIR OPINIONS. It still depends on the time of day or night, who you are with and how far you plan to walk.

Trust yourself. Not these other people. Point is, watch out for others. I have been in areas people have said are safe and they were not.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallway View Post
Keep in mind, the people that responded to you have cited THEIR OPINIONS. It still depends on the time of day or night, who you are with and how far you plan to walk.

Trust yourself. Not these other people. Point is, watch out for others. I have been in areas people have said are safe and they were not.
"Trust yourself. Not these other people."- Great point. Thats why I gave legit sources to back up my opinion. People need to know that the city has taken steps or has rolled out a great program for public safety.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallway View Post

which is simply another opinion.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM

19 posts, read 102,312 times
Default OKC is not a walking city

If you are staying @ the Courtyard Marriott downtown, then yes, it's close to the Amtrack station. Downtown/Bricktown has a lot of things to do and places to eat, there is some shopping but not tons. That area is walkable and if you stay in the main areas (don't wonder down dark alleys) you should be safe. I feel I can say that as a small female I have walked alone at night in Bricktown and not had any problems.
Having said all that...
If you want to go anywhere outside of Bricktown...rent a car. I have been in many walking cities and OKC is not one. Public transport is limited and doesn't run very late at night and everything is spread out. Many things that would be more suited to young children are not in that area.
I hope this is helpful to you. Have fun on your weekend.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
"Trust yourself. Not these other people."- Great point. Thats why I gave legit sources to back up my opinion. People need to know that the city has taken steps or has rolled out a great program for public safety.
That may be true. However, personally, I would not want to be morally responsible if something went wrong. There is no such thing as totally safe. That is why I VERY STRONGLY urge the person to trust themselves and be careful of their surroundings REGARDLESS of what others say. It's the same advise I would give any friend or relative. Especially my wife, daughter or mother. One difference between most posters and me. I have the care and moxie to tell it like it is. No matter WHAT the person WANTS to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City