Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM

588 posts, read 1,312,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the grocery market, Trader Joe's has been scouting Oklahoma City for its first location, though the California-based specialty grocery store hasn't made any announcements.
Come on baby! Come on!!!

National retail chains look to land in Oklahoma City in 2013 | NewsOK.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,179,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Agreed.

I miss Trader Joe's. Too bad they won't be able to sell their beer or 2-buck chuck even if they do open an OKC location.

I am also hoping OKC gets a quality regular grocery chain in soon to give Wal-Mart some competition. There have been rumors for a while that Reasor's is looking at entering the market but hasn't pulled the trigger yet. Reasor's are all over Tulsa and are a step above most grocery stores in OKC.

Crest Foods is the one chain currently in the OKC metro that competes well against Wal-Mart, but they have limited locations and form what I understand, they run the company on a no-debt policy so that's why you don't see them building locations all over the metro. They should though, the stores are always busy every time I go there, even ones that are near a Wal-Mart, and they are also clean.

Last edited by bchris02; 01-26-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Why did The Fresh Market move into Tulsa and not OKC? What do they see in Tulsa? More class? I mean come on...
I am excited about the Crest opening in Norman. That will be some good stuff. The super markets have changed so much since I have been here. I hope they continue to get better.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Why did The Fresh Market move into Tulsa and not OKC? What do they see in Tulsa? More class? I mean come on...
I am excited about the Crest opening in Norman. That will be some good stuff. The super markets have changed so much since I have been here. I hope they continue to get better.
This is one of the quality of life issues that really bug me about OKC. There isnt another city in the US as bad as OKC is in this area. Tulsa also got a second Whole Foods as well. Tulsa has Reasor's which is similar to the supermarkets in most cities. OKC is stuck with mostly Wal-Mart and outdated ghetto Homelands. Upscale retailers and national chains like Tulsa better. I think it's because Tulsa is seen as being more of a sophisticated, white collar market and OKC is considered more blue collar and working class. White collar or blue collar, there is no rhyme or reason OKC should be so terrible in this basic area and this city deserves better. In a metro of 1.3 million people you shouldn't have to drive clear across the city to shop in a grocery store that is as nice as your dime-a-dozen corner grocery anywhere else.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,196,314 times
I don't think it's a matter of class, I think a lot of it is bad luck and quite a bit people in Oklahoma City not requiring more of the places where they shop. Homeland was a large chain in Tulsa 10 years ago but has been completely driven out of business. The last Tulsa store closed about year ago and is now reopening as a Natural Grocers, that chain's second store in Tulsa. Homeland was just awful, we actually called it Homeless Land. I have no idea how they stayed in business here so long.

When I lived in OKC 15 years ago it wasn't so bad. Homeland was kinda bad then, but not like it is now. It hadn't been so long at the time since all the Safeway stores had became Homelands. And back then Albertson's was a pretty good store, it was maybe five or six years ago now that Albertson's almost went out of business and the stores went to crap.

Oklahoma City got the short end of the stick then too, Albertson's in Oklahoma City became Homeland stores where as in Tulsa the chain was split between Reasors and a chain out of Springfield, Mo that's now called Food Pyramid. Food Pyramid is ok, far better than Homeland, they really upgraded to the old Albertson's stores by adding in more imports and organics and opening a Starbucks in every location. Even so I don't know that they are going to last very long. All Target stores now have food, Reasor's keeps growing, there's a second Whole Foods going in, Fresh Market and now two Sprouts going in. Akin's Natural Foods is based in Tulsa, there's that Natural Grocer chain and another chain out of Kansas called Green Acres in Jenks. Even Wal-Mart keeps growing, now there's a super center being built in Catoosa across the street from the Hard Rock. There's another new chain in town from Arkansas called Harps. Food Pyramid had better really be on top of their game here or they are gone. I don't know that any grocer in Oklahoma City is under any kind of pressure to upgrade their stores like they are here.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM

^^^ Agreed. Wal-Mart pretty much runs the market in OKC and has driven out most competition. Sometimes it feels like I'm living in a small, rural community the way Wal-Mart dominates OKC. A lot of people would likely shop elsewhere if they were given a quality option. Many OKCitians are Wal-Mart customers simply because there aren't any other quality, convenient options, not because they like the store. It's mindnumbing why nobody has come in to fill the void. Crest has a few stores but their focus is primarily on the Southside right now. People here like to blame the liquor laws but Tulsa has the same liquor laws and things are 100 times better there.

Reasor's is trying to put a location in Edmond that is currently being held up by NIMBYs. If it actually gets built I will do my best to support them so they build more stores in the metro. OKC really needs them at this point in time.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,196,314 times
Reasors would clean up in the OKC market. The new store in Bixby is very nice. I have no idea why anyone would fight them coming in, at least to a suburban area.

This is what their new stores look like:

Old 07-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Reasors would clean up in the OKC market. The new store in Bixby is very nice. I have no idea why anyone would fight them coming in, at least to a suburban area.

This is what their new stores look like:
I agree. There aren't many stores like that in OKC. The Edmond situation is typical NIMBY stuff; people in the nearby neighborhoods concerned about the traffic and noise it would bring.

Crest could also clean up the market by blanketing the metro area with stores like their two new ones on the Southside. However, they have a policy of not taking on debt and they pay for their locations outright, which means very slow expansion. They compete pretty well against Wal-Mart and are almost always busy.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Wal-Mart may be behind the holdup of the Edmond Reasor's. The location will be only a mile from their Supercenter and new Sam's Club. If Reasor's enters the market it will signal the end of them being able to hold it hostage.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 AM

Tulsa feels a bit more "urban" and less stripmallish suburbish endless sprawl. There are cities that are under 500k metros that are doing way better than OKC in this area. Reasors would be nice. I hate how OKC is Walmart dominated. I have never been to a city of such size with such crappy markets. Things have changed a lot, but they have a loooooong ways to go. I really wish Costco and Trader Joe's looked into our state. As always, I'm sure Tulsa will get the first if they ever came. It's ironic that the Oklahomans that say they need the liquor laws to stay to keep local businesses in, also support a corporate regime dominated Walmart chain that has saturated our metro. I hope The Fresh Market opens a store in OKC. Lots of wishful thinking.

I had no idea that Safeway had stores here. Look at the safeways today. They are pretty good markets now.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,434,510 times
Quote:
Tulsa feels a bit more "urban" and less stripmallish suburbish endless sprawl. There are cities that are under 500k metros that are doing way better than OKC in this area. Reasors would be nice. I hate how OKC is Walmart dominated. I have never been to a city of such size with such crappy markets. Things have changed a lot, but they have a loooooong ways to go. I really wish Costco and Trader Joe's looked into our state. As always, I'm sure Tulsa will get the first if they ever came. It's ironic that the Oklahomans that say they need the liquor laws to stay to keep local businesses in, also support a corporate regime dominated Walmart chain that has saturated our metro. I hope The Fresh Market opens a store in OKC. Lots of wishful thinking.

I had no idea that Safeway had stores here. Look at the safeways today. They are pretty good markets now.
Yep. Most of the Homelands you see were turned into Homelands from old Safeways. Personally, the Homelands are fine other than the occasional high price gauge. Buy-For-Less gets the job done too.

When I think of the ol' Safeways I think of TG&Y, but I'm guessing that's way before your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City