Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times

Advertisements

Personally I think Oklahomans are shaped most by life on the Great Plains. Sure it has some of the South, and is also shaped to a lesser extent by the West and the Midwest, but the Plains effect dwarfs the others. Not everyone enjoys [or can even deal with] the wide open spaces in America's heartland, the big sky, etc. Once you can, it gets in your blood and you're well on your way to being an Okie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 12:18 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
I lived in OK and Texas and OK Feels more like Texas to me than Kansas or Nebraska.
I would argue that OK is Southern because of these reasons:
Heavily Baptist
Cuisine:Biscuits N Gravy,Sweet Tea,Alot of BBQ,etc
Many Country Artists:Reba,Garth etc
Accent: many Okies have an Accent,maybe not so much in Tulsa or OKC
Many Southernors moved to OK including my grandfather
Support for the Confederacy
That said Oklahoma isnt very Southern like Alabama or SC
Its also a Mix of Western,Midwestern culture.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:27 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Heavily Baptist
And Methodist, and Catholic, and Jewish, and pagan, and heathen, and wiccan, and mostly non-denominational............
Quote:
Cuisine:Biscuits N Gravy,Sweet Tea,Alot of BBQ,etc
That ain't cuisine.....that's chuck or chow......cuisine starts with someone sticking a cork next to your nose.......
Quote:
Many Country Artists:Reba,Garth etc
They aren't country......they're western.......with a Bob Wills Heritage more than a Hank background........and DON'T tell me JJ Cale or Leon Russell are country.........
Quote:
Accent: many Okies have an Accent,maybe not so much in Tulsa or OKC
Only to folks that don't live here..........
Quote:
Many Southernors moved to OK including my grandfather
And Irish and Missourians, and lets not forget the various trails of tears, or the greatest horsemen of the plains....the Kiowa, Comanche and Cheyenne........
Quote:
Support for the Confederacy
They didn't support the confederacy so much as they just wanted to shoot guys in blue uniforms...........sort of a get even for making them take long walks where friends and family died..........

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM

87 posts, read 304,173 times
I think Oklahoma is probably a transition state where the line between south and midwest becomes a little blurred. It is not really one or the other, it is a little bit of both.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-NC-AZ-TX View Post
I think Oklahoma is probably a transition state where the line between south and midwest becomes a little blurred. It is not really one or the other, it is a little bit of both.
perfect! Even though, from what we learned in school a hundred years ago (we were told it was south) I think it lies between the two.

Nita

Old 10-16-2008, 02:29 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
The midwest is a lot of things, but I don't see much of any of it in OK. By far the most racist person I ever met was from Nebraska, and he was rabid, to put it mildly - but he was also from a very small town, and if you closed your eyes you wouldn't have been able to guess what color he was rom his speech. As for accents, I hear a lot of different ones around here. It's more a rhythm and dropping g's than anything, like 'goen to the store', or 'runnen up to town.' I spent two summers in Ft Worth, and the only difference I heard there was a tendency to start sentences with 'Y'all.' There were two Okies I knew very well about 20-odd years ago in AK, one had a drawl and could sing like an angel, the other was from Muskogee and had no accent at all - unless you count having a voice like sandpaper. I wouldn't consider either of them good examples of anything, though. The 'drawl' is more rural, in my experience. I've heard it all over the country, outside of cities. I will say it's more pronounced in people from the deep south, but I've heard the same thing in rural OR, CO, WY, MT, and MO, among others. I also think a lot of accents have been homogenized away because of radio and television.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:30 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
I work for the Department of Libraries right in the middle of OKC, and I hear a sufficient amount of y'alls during the course of the day, both from co-workers and the general public coming in. I also hear "I'm fixin' to", "big ole truck" and "dunna it".

Old 10-17-2008, 07:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I work for the Department of Libraries right in the middle of OKC, and I hear a sufficient amount of y'alls during the course of the day, both from co-workers and the general public coming in. I also hear "I'm fixin' to", "big ole truck" and "dunna it".
sounds like you have been talking to our granddaughter who was born in the Dallas area and graduated from the University of AR last year...

btw, did you see my comment about the Olive bar?

Nita

Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
This is just my opinion, my observances of being a Georgia native, colleged in Alabama, a 3 year stint in Fort Worth in the 80s, back to Georgia for 15 now in Tx for 5 with a mother-in-law that lived in OKC for five years.

I feel Oklahoma is more southern than TX. Perhaps it is because my years in TX are in the DFW metroplex that has many transplants from all over, but the Okie natives I meet feel more like Georgians and Alabamians than the native Texans I know. More of it is due to the cultural things mentioned earlier, cuisine, religious backgrounds, speech patterns, etc. Perhaps I know more Okies from rural small towns than I know Texans from rural backgrounds.

Perhaps the rural experience in America is as much of a common bond as regional bonds. I knew a girl from Iowa that did not have a bit of a southern accent, but speech patterns and grammar was similar. She was fairly well educated (or came across as such) until she said statements like "I seen them yesterday" instead of "I have seen" or "I saw." You hear that kind of grammar and you almost automatically attach a drawl to it, lol, even if there isn't one.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:16 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
any of ya'll enjoy one of the new fusion type restaurants? Where they have really creative dishes that are blends of alien cultures? I had one once that was a blend of Thai, Greek, Chinese and New Mexican (not tex-mex). Absolutely incredible.......but trying to describe it by traditional terms or through regional references was not possible. Incredibly good, the flavors and ingredients from the various cultures was blended exquisitly, but it wasn't Thai, it wasn't Greek, it wasn't Chinese, it wasn't New Mexican, although every culture contributed.

That is Oklahoma. An exquisite blend of south, southwest, midwest, native american cultures with a splash of California and Pacific northwest thrown in, followed by a nice levening of cowboy culture.

So instead of calling it all those, and being wrong, why not just recognize that it is Oklahoma........nothing else quite like it, similar in aspects to everywhere else in the country, but with a unique blend of each that creates it's own definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City