Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Interesting, ol' buddy. Maybe the Devon Tower will have higher ceilings.
I was wondering about that as well. Why would the Devon tower have less stories?

It would seem like a more efficient use of space to have more stories, thus more occupants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:18 AM

279 posts, read 1,013,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I was wondering about that as well. Why would the Devon tower have less stories?

It would seem like a more efficient use of space to have more stories, thus more occupants.

That does make alot more sense.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
It could also be an effort to be more "green" and energy efficient. More insulation between floors (why would you want to be on the top floor if all the heat below you is migrating up, and why would you want to heat the lower floor if it is all going to the penthouse?) Increasing duct sizes plus substantially more duct insulation requires additional room. It also gives you an opportunity to increase fire protection through additional fire breaks between floors. Considering they are an energy company, I am certain energy concerns and cost of operation will play into their final design.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default What's Wrong With This Picture?

Guys, we're talking a difference of eighteen stories between Devon and Bank of America Plaza. Eighteen. How can Devon possibly be taller unless the design that's planned calls for higher ceilings on each floor? And how, pray tell, can Devon be four feet taller and yet only have 54 stories at 925 feet? Something here doesn't jive. Will there be a large penthouse at the top? The design is going to be good for OKC's skyline, no question, but the findings y'all came up with make no sense.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
It could also be an effort to be more "green" and energy efficient. More insulation between floors (why would you want to be on the top floor if all the heat below you is migrating up, and why would you want to heat the lower floor if it is all going to the penthouse?) Increasing duct sizes plus substantially more duct insulation requires additional room. It also gives you an opportunity to increase fire protection through additional fire breaks between floors. Considering they are an energy company, I am certain energy concerns and cost of operation will play into their final design.
Good post. Certainly a possibility.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
Quote:
Guys, we're talking a difference of eighteen stories between Devon and Bank of America Plaza. Eighteen. How can Devon possibly be taller unless the design that's planned calls for higher ceilings on each floor? And how, pray tell, can Devon be four feet taller and yet only have 54 stories at 925 feet? Something here doesn't jive. Will there be a large penthouse at the top? The design is going to be good for OKC's skyline, no question, but the findings y'all came up with make no sense.
Come on! This is city-data...your supposed to be more archatectualy savy than this! The CN Tower, and the Space Needle don't even have floors other than bottom, and observation. Does that mean because the Stratosphere has only 4 "real floors" that it's shorter than BOA??? Nope! As others in here said "floors" mean NOTHING! 925 is higher than 921 period. Btw...Oklahomans, Dallas isn't much to compare to in the "Skyline" area. Kinda weak, I guess that's just big brother fight though.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM

498 posts, read 1,605,672 times
Quote:
That is because of the design calling for the first dozen floors to have high ceilings as well as the last dozen floors. I think something like 15 feet from floor to ceiling. The reason of this was to create better natural lighting with the space being provided.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM

279 posts, read 1,013,900 times
Here is the BOTTOM section.
If anyone needed a picture.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
That is because of the design calling for the first dozen floors to have high ceilings as well as the last dozen floors. I think something like 15 feet from floor to ceiling. The reason of this was to create better natural lighting with the space being provided.
That's a great idea. Saves energy, too, I would think.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:50 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Come on! This is city-data...your supposed to be more archatectualy savy than this! The CN Tower, and the Space Needle don't even have floors other than bottom, and observation. Does that mean because the Stratosphere has only 4 "real floors" that it's shorter than BOA??? Nope! As others in here said "floors" mean NOTHING! 925 is higher than 921 period. Btw...Oklahomans, Dallas isn't much to compare to in the "Skyline" area. Kinda weak, I guess that's just big brother fight though.
Ok. I'm all for hometown pride and everything; after all I am an Okie. But as skylines go, I wouldn't call Dallas' skyline "Kinda weak."

And these aren't even recent photos. There are probably 6 or 7 more skycrapers in Dallas since these pics were taken.

http://www.dfwlimobus.com/images/DallasSkyline.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-01-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City