Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM

602 posts, read 1,874,727 times

Advertisements

IMO I wouldn't live in MWC or Del City, but I know a lot of people in my office live in the Moore area and like it a lot. I live in Jones, which is pretty small and about 25 north of the base, but you'd really have to like small town life to like it there! Choctaw is a closer drive and is growing quite rapidly. Homes are reasonably priced and there are a lot of new businesses sprouting up. It's a quick drive to work or OKC, but you still get the country living feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,002,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
Choctaw is a closer drive and is growing quite rapidly.
And they have a really good German Restaurant

Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 AM

602 posts, read 1,874,727 times
yes they do! I'm really excited about the movie theater they're building there. Maybe it will encourage me to go to the movies more ofter

Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 PM

24 posts, read 164,857 times
A word on Google maps: We bought a house in a new subdivision in Moore and it is not on any online maps yet. The streets were cut by the developer so they have not been updated for the map (or GPS), and our neighborhood has been developing for 3 or 4 years now. When we tried to find a rendering, the map always defaults to another address because it is thinking we made a mistake in our input. When we try to manually move the map to our neighborhood, it is still shown as an empty field (maybe farmland in its past life?) so make sure you know exactly where you are building when you do your search for areas around Moore.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM

11 posts, read 35,271 times
What might help better answer your question is how much you have to spend on a house to buy or rent. In Del City or Midwest City, you can find some VERY nice homes, but you'll pay a little more for the ones close to base. Typically, favorite areas for Tinker AFB personnel are Moore, Midwest City, Choctaw, and Edmond; all have their good and bad.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,952,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson96 View Post
What might help better answer your question is how much you have to spend on a house to buy or rent. In Del City or Midwest City, you can find some VERY nice homes, but you'll pay a little more for the ones close to base. Typically, favorite areas for Tinker AFB personnel are Moore, Midwest City, Choctaw, and Edmond; all have their good and bad.
Moore is a fine city. My niece and her husband live there; they love it.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,272 times
We live on Bryant, in the area that was hit by the '99 tornado, so I'm told. Lots of new homes, prices are really good, my kids all attend Moore schools, and I'm satisfied with their education. The base traffic isn't really a problem, my husband gets to work within 15 minutes. However, the newer neighborhoods have no trees

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM

37 posts, read 102,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagirl74 View Post
A word on Google maps: We bought a house in a new subdivision in Moore and it is not on any online maps yet.
You should report that through the links on Google Maps. Mine was off for a time and it's now showing correctly both for satellite and roads.

To the OP...Moore is closest. But others really aren't that much farther.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,948 times
Default relocating to tinker AFB

I agree with everyone on this post. You probably don't want to live in Midwest City or Del City except for the far east side of MWC. There is more commercial development on that side so running to the store isn't the problem it used to be.

If your fiance is going to work with military personnel, check and see if they will check the military preferred housing list. It recommends housing areas for military families and takes crime into consideration. Also check the Crime Tracker website where you can type in an address and it will put up a map of local crime. Look at type of crimes not just number of crimes. All areas have crime so look specifically at the types of crime where the victim has to be present. For example, robberies and assaults are more dangerous than car thefts. Check Watchdog family website for registered sex offenders. You can google both sites, I don't think I can post the links here.

Good luck with your move and new job!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,837 times
If you truly wanted to stay away from the big towns, head out toward McLoud. There are some wonderful new developments going in and the schools are great. It is about 20 minutes to Tinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City