Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM

7 posts, read 27,522 times

Advertisements

My fiance accepted a position as a civilian employee at Tinker. We will be moving sometime late February or early March. I was looking into the Moore area until I heard they get hit with a lot of tornadoes. The person at human resource recommended looking into Del City. We are trying to work with a builder but his homes are in Moore, McLoud, and Yukon. My fiance does not want to spend a long time driving to work since his hours could start as early as 5 AM. We do not want to be in a bad area either since we are both from the city and stay away from crowded or areas with fame.

Could someone recommend an area close to the west end of Tinker? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM

689 posts, read 2,061,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechsgirl View Post
We do not want to be in a bad area either since we are both from the city and stay away from crowded or areas with fame.
Could you explain that sentence?

We've been gone since 2005 after living in the area for almost 40 years. Unless there have been some big changes, I wouldn't recommend Del City or Midwest City (except for the far eastern part of MWC.) Newer parts of Moore are OK. If your guy's going to work at 5 AM, he won't have to worry about much traffic, no matter where you live. It's not like driving in some place like Seattle, because the area is so spread out.

As for tornadoes, I suggest you search the threads in the Oklahoma and Oklahoma City forums. We Okies have had a lot to say about them!! Personally, I lived in Oklahoma 58 years before I was in a tornado.

Good luck in your search and with your fiance's job. We're very proud to have worked at Tinker for over 30 years.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM

274 posts, read 519,721 times
When I was stationed at Tinker, I bought a house on Parker Dr. (just off S. Bryant Ave.). I think it it a good area and only 10 min to work. I even rode my bicycle to work a few times.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:46 AM

24 posts, read 164,896 times
I vote Moore, especially if you are looking for the convenience of city life without city headaches. Yes, there have been 2 major tornados recently (1999, 2003) but they also hit other parts of OKC including the midwest city/del city area, so no area is really "safer" from storms than any other, IMO that is just life in Oklahoma. Moore is really growing and the residents really are investing in the infrastructure of the community. There is a lot of new shopping, new homes and a highly ranked school system.

If you live east of I-35 in Moore, you can take sooner rd to Tinker and be there in 15 min with minimal traffic and no freeway backups, although the traffic will be heavy at the AFB gates during shift change no matter where you are coming from and that can add significant time to the commute.

Del City overall does not have a good reputation for safety but some areas are nicer than others. Most of the areas east of Tinker have a more rural feel, although they are not far from the city limits.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,540,360 times
Really if you want to be factual, all of Oklahoma is fair game for tornadoes. I would stay close to Tinker in a nice area to your liking. If the tornadoes scare you that much, get a home with a storm shelter or safe room.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:34 AM

Thanks for your message. What I meant by that sentence was that I am trying to stay away from big towns with crime. You already rules out Del City and Midwest City which was recommended to us by the gal at HR but I know that sometimes living close to the base is not a good idea. I have been in two hurricanes in Florida so I guess is the same with tornadoes. If you do get one, get to your shelter and pray for the best. Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanks for your information. I am not that scared of tornadoes just the risk of damages just like hurricanes in Florida, lived through two with no damages but scary. I saw that a lot of the homes have storm cellars even in new subdivisions so that is no problem. A lot of people on this forum have recommended Moore or Choctaw because it is being developed with lots of shopping. I was mapping Sooner Rd and I did see that it should not be much of a drive to the base. The gates are horrible where ever you are on a base, so it would not be nothing new. My boyfriend is an early person so that he can avoid all that.

Thanks for your info. This has helped me to narrow it down for the builder that I will be working with.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks, I guess is just like trying to stay away from hurricanes in Florida. I lived through two of those and no damage to my homes. I like Moore by all the pictures and reviews. I also like Choctaw and the secretary from the Chamber of Commerce offered me a tour when I arrive into town. I love the atmosphere and the hospitality that I have received so far. I guess I will just get a home with a storm cellar just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate it.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 AM

Thanks. This gives me an idea of what streets to look at close to Tinker. Every bit of opinion helps. That must have been great being able to ride your bike on a beautiful day.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 AM

274 posts, read 519,721 times
Google maps has really good street level views for all of OKC and most surrounding areas. I use it for my real estate search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City