Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 51,696 times

Advertisements

I am an elementary teacher and will soon have a cross-endorsement in Bilingual Ed as well.

What is the teaching situation in OK? Are jobs available or is the market saturated? (When we moved here to CT 7 years ago we discovered that most elementary teaching positions received 100+ applicant's for every opening. Many teachers with either BAs or MAs have been looking for jobs for years, or are working as non-benefit tutors or paras.)

I know that the salary would be way lower, but with OK's lower cost of living we'd still come out ahead financially.

OK sounds like a great place to live, but I'd also like to be able to teach! (Although being able to afford being a stay-home again would be nice too!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM

64 posts, read 291,106 times
Hi there! We moved here from CA about a year and a half ago. I subbed when we first moved here because the school year had already started and then was hired by the district I subbed for this year. I really only focused on one district, but I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job, especially if you're experienced.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama rose View Post
I am an elementary teacher and will soon have a cross-endorsement in Bilingual Ed as well.

What is the teaching situation in OK? Are jobs available or is the market saturated? (When we moved here to CT 7 years ago we discovered that most elementary teaching positions received 100+ applicant's for every opening. Many teachers with either BAs or MAs have been looking for jobs for years, or are working as non-benefit tutors or paras.)

I know that the salary would be way lower, but with OK's lower cost of living we'd still come out ahead financially.

OK sounds like a great place to live, but I'd also like to be able to teach! (Although being able to afford being a stay-home again would be nice too!)
I know Tahlequah is looking for bi-lingual educators (English/Cherokee)

Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM

17,796 posts, read 13,687,653 times
In another thread you mentioned that you were needing to be around Tinker. There are a gazillion school districts around there.

As I mentioned before, I think Choctaw would fit your bill for a place to live. School districts around there include Choctaw, Harrah, Mid-Del, OKC, McCloud, Dale, Moore, Jones, Oakwood, Luther, Meeker.

Your bilingual education certification will be your ace in the hole. Unfortunately our teacher pay is low especially compared to Connecticut, but obviously our cost of living is low.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 AM

22 posts, read 110,418 times
Here's a current list of openings in Choctaw:

CERTIFIED POSITIONS

Westfall Elementary
Kindergarten
Westfall Elementary
Kindergarten (1/2 day)
Indian Meridian Elementary
Kindergarten (3)
Choctaw Elementary
Kindergarten
Nicoma Park Elementary
Kindergarten (2)
Choctaw Middle School 8th Grade Science
Choctaw Middle School Spanish
Choctaw High School Physical Sci/Bio (poss. coach)
Choctaw High School Social Studies (poss. coach)
Choctaw High School At Risk Counselor
Choctaw High School English
Choctaw High School Math (2) (poss. coach)
Choctaw High School Spanish

Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM

18 posts, read 81,844 times
I don't know if you specified an area you might live in... but if you are bilingual, you will have a great chance of getting a job in OKC schools, as well as Putnam city schools and Mid-Del schools, since their populations are really diverse (thus warranting the need for more bilingual educators)

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM

95 posts, read 235,002 times
I couldn't advise teaching in Oklahoma when there are so many other states where the conditions are simply much better. Classrooms are overcrowded and getting bigger. Teachers are poorly paid. Oklahoma's conservative right wing is coopting and trying to dismantle public education and unfortunately they're in power right now. Used to be you could work about 28 years and retire (80 and out). Now it's 90 and out or another 5 years. The legislature tried to strip trial de novo or tenured teacher's right to a hearing with a judge if they're terminated for unjust cause. Temp. contracts are the rule nowdays. I'd go elsewhere if I were you.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Pharis View Post
I couldn't advise teaching in Oklahoma when there are so many other states where the conditions are simply much better. Classrooms are overcrowded and getting bigger. Teachers are poorly paid. Oklahoma's conservative right wing is coopting and trying to dismantle public education and unfortunately they're in power right now. Used to be you could work about 28 years and retire (80 and out). Now it's 90 and out or another 5 years. The legislature tried to strip trial de novo or tenured teacher's right to a hearing with a judge if they're terminated for unjust cause. Temp. contracts are the rule nowdays. I'd go elsewhere if I were you.

Good advice for the poster to take.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Pharis View Post
Once again this is turned into another anti-Oklahoma political dumping ground. Doesn't ever occur to you people that by discouraging people to come to Oklahoma you are also discouraging potential opportunity for change. But go on, keep thinking inside the box. It's what you people are good at anymore.

Not that I agree with right wing politics, but since when did the left wing become the thought police for anyone that doesn't agree with them.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM

180 posts, read 668,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Once again this is turned into another anti-Oklahoma political dumping ground. Doesn't ever occur to you people that by discouraging people to come to Oklahoma you are also discouraging potential opportunity for change. But go on, keep thinking inside the box. It's what you people are good at anymore.

Not that I agree with right wing politics, but since when did the left wing become the thought police for anyone that doesn't agree with them.
Let's just face it, Oklahoma is great for many things. Teaching is just not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City