Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM

498 posts, read 1,605,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If the same applies to a house, of which I am sure, I'm in deep dooda.
I made the mistake of buying a couch from a friend who kept it in the garage. I wasn't even thinking at the time. All that mattered was it was a very nice couch for a very good deal. Four months later... we had to have the apartment sprayed after encountering several fiddlebacks.

It was my wife's first encounter. She asked me how I knew. There are two ways to tell... a black mark in the shape of a fiddle on the back... and their very creepy legs. It's not like a wolf spider where the legs are dispersed symmetrically... no. Fiddlebacks front fours are tilted toward the back. Yipes... I must shush now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
I made the mistake of buying a couch from a friend who kept it in the garage. I wasn't even thinking at the time. All that mattered was it was a very nice couch for a very good deal. Four months later... we had to have the apartment sprayed after encountering several fiddlebacks.

It was my wife's first encounter. She asked me how I knew. There are two ways to tell... a black mark in the shape of a fiddle on the back... and their very creepy legs. It's not like a wolf spider where the legs are dispersed symmetrically... no. Fiddlebacks front fours are tilted toward the back. Yipes... I must shush now...
When you had your apartment sprayed did it get rid of 'em??? I've heard that Fiddlebacks are impervious to the spray that the Pest Control provides.

I knocked down an old shed for my mom in south-central Oklahoma. I've never seen so many of them in my life.....it was like ground zero for Fiddleback infestation.

My hunting dog got bit by a nest of Fiddlebacks and it really tore up the skin under his jaw and around his neck. Since then, I've waged war against the little suckers.

When I get to heaven, one of my questions will be: "Okay, God, Fiddlebacks....why are they needed again?"

Old 03-24-2009, 12:24 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,088 times
the reclusive brown recluse.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If the same applies to a house, of which I am sure, I'm in deep dooda.

Unless...you reach a level of clutter that is SO bad, you can't find them and they can't find you!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
I wouldnt be too worried about the wildlife. If you are moving to the city it wont be too bad. Living in the country I have run ins with all sorts of wild things. Besides the climates in Oklahoma it is a nice place to live, I only have one complaint and that is that my hobby isnt well supported in central Ok. We have HOT summers and on occasion bitterly cold winters. And sometimes the weather is just weird.. Take this week for example. We have had 60s and 70s most of the week and yet on Friday/Saturday they are predicting snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleygus View Post
Do you guys ever see these black widow spiders, recluse spiders, or tarantualas inside homes or apartments? black widow, recluse, and scorpions I have found in the house/garage. Tarantualas are usually too large to sneak in the house. I found them all the time in the yard. I also see them crossing the road all the time on my way too/from work.

I am a little worried that there aren't as many tornado shelters, at least in terms of apartment buildings...so how do people handle this? Do you just have to know where the closest one is? And I'm not one to watch much television, so I'd have to rely on the way the sky looks and from word-of-mouth, I'd assume...As mentioned there are public shelters across the city, however in an apartment the 1st floor hallway or utility room would be better than nothing. As far from outside walls and windows as possible.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM

491 posts, read 1,475,313 times
I will defend Oklahoma to my death but the weather is one thing I'm not arguing about. It leaves A LOT to be desired. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City