Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspirit View Post
Look up at the sky every now and then and watch the planes spraying chemicals down on us. Also, you can Google for more information.
And you are buying in to that nonsense? Or you are just trying to make us laugh? If the latter, you succeeded..........

Quote:
The chemtrail conspiracy theory holds that some condensation trails (contrails) are actually chemicals or biological agents that are deliberately sprayed at high altitudes around the world for a purpose undisclosed to the general public. Versions of the chemtrail conspiracy theory circulating on the internet and radio talk shows theorizes that this activity is directed by government officials. As a result, federal agencies have received thousands of complaints from people who have demanded an explanation. The existence of chemtrails has been repeatedly denied by government agencies and scientists around the world.
wikipedia

Last edited by Goodpasture; 04-13-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 PM

35 posts, read 127,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
And you are buying in to that nonsense? Or you are just trying to make us laugh? If the latter, you succeeded..........
I noticed the spraying and went to the Internet to find out what it is... I took pictures after I saw them several days in a row. I can post some of them when I get home, if you're curious what they look like.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
You can put your tin foil hat away. Those white trails you see isn't chemicals but rather the result of very hot air coming from the plane engines and going into the very cold air in the atmosphere.

Edited to add: What makes you think that the government is spraying us with chemicals? For what purpose.

BTW, GP ..... I don't consider Wikipedia a reliable source. But that is accurate.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 PM

35 posts, read 127,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
You can put your tin foil hat away. Those white trails you see isn't chemicals but rather the result of very hot air coming from the plane engines and going into the very cold air in the atmosphere.
Not true. Tin foil hat?? Isn't that for people who don't think or rationalize, but instead accept everything they are told? That's not me!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Not true. Tin foil hat?? Isn't that for people who don't think or rationalize, but instead accept everything they are told? That's not me!
OK .... convince me by rationalizing it.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 AM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
Quote:
You dont accept everything you are told but yet you think the government is spraying chemicals down on us rather than the rational scientific answer?

On a cold day how do you explain that you can see your breath? Are you spewing chemicals into the atmosphere? No... warm moist breath meets cool air and you have condensation.. now multiply that times 100. The plane engines are alot hotter than your breath and the air temp is alot colder than it is down here so you have a "cloud" you can see from the ground.

It's science not Government conspiracy..

Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 16,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
They are IN those areas you mentioned

Nope not a con of any kind for OKC. If it weren't for my being able to see it now, I would think it was heaven.

Right, the that bill being fit is a minor one. It is so cheap to live there that they practically pay you to live there.

We have lots and lots of tornados. Most are little guys that just sort of dance around but there are only about 75 to 100 times a year we get a big enough one that you want to find a shelter.

OKC's weather IS the greatest.

Most people don't like pools, but we have a lot of custom pool builders and servicing companies.
We had so many 70-degree days in January and February this year, I thought it was Spring

I disagree heartily that Oklahomans don't like pools. Well, we do love our lakes (lakes are a HUGE plus in Oklahoma! We have so many gorgeous lakes!). But in the neighborhood where I have lived for 30 years (North MacArthur and 122nd), pretty much every other house has an in-ground pool. My back door neighbors, across the street neighbor, 4 doors down... you get the point ;-)

Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 34,491 times
Oh Oklahoma and their oil. There are oil derricks (sp?) everywhere, some working, some not. There are always commercials on TV about calling in abandoned oil sites. Having been here since 2005, though, I don't even see the oil derricks anymore. They blend in.

Tornadoes, yeah, we just entered tornado season. There is always a tornado somewhere, but they only usually last about 30 minutes max and most people escape them just fine. Though, I have noticed that Woodward seems to get hit all the time. That's north OK, though.

Weather--it gets pretty hot and fairly cold. I'm sure it's nowhere near as cold as Chicago, but OK does seem to experience ice. Usually, there are about 2 "snow storms" a year. There are 2 things about OK weather that you should know though. It is not unusual for it to be freezing cold one week and super hot the next. 30-40 degree changes in weather over just a couple of days happens all the time. And the wind. I expected bad wind when I came out here, but I had no idea what I was in for. And, it's windy all year round. Maybe, being from Chicago, it's nothing new to you though.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 AM

559 posts, read 1,757,676 times
the other day when i was driving to the warren i noticed two rigs just right off 35, in a very heavily populated area. then again it is a heavily populated business area.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
How much actual research have you done about Oklahoma? Or have you visited or at least talked to a local realtor? Our winters are milder than Chicago unless you live in the northern area or panhandle of Oklahoma. In the greater Oklahoma City metro area, you can expect some snow and ice but not like in Chicago. As for oil wells, you should know that there are oil booms and busts. I've seen three busts in my adult lifetime, and that means that there are a lot of people out of work, just like in Detroit when the car companies crash. Oil is not all we've going in Oklahoma. If you're looking for the "good life," take off your blinders and realize that everyone's going through tough times - some more than others.

I see that you want a swimming pool. If you can afford to build one or buy a house that has one, and can keep up with the maintenance, have at it. Lots of people just head to the one of the nearby lakes or community pools.

As for tornados, yep, we've got 'em. Some areas seem to get hit more often than others. This is where it would help do to some practical research rather than get your info off a chat line. I don't know why we don't build basements here. We just don't. People build storm shelters instead. Maybe it's cheaper to build without a basement - I have no idea. You would think with the tornados that we would have basements - go figure. Usually when Oklahomans' hear a tornado siren, they all go out on the front porch to look rather than taking shelter, so that may have something to do with it.

The schools are good. The people are decent. Crime is lower here than where you are. Property values are decent. I don't know the unemployment scale. Look for more indicators more substantial than whether you can find a pool and you should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City