Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 PM

120 posts, read 425,073 times

Advertisements

Just checking to see if anyone has any knowledge of Amarillo. I posted over on the Texas side in hopes of getting answers about where to live, etc.
I am going after a position in Amarillo and it's not a permanent position, 2 years maximum so I've yet to decide if I get the position, whether to rent or purchase and WHERE!
Seems prices in Amarillo are pretty low right now, so I'm leaning towards purchasing something, that way I can eventually rent it or lease it when I leave town.
Any ideas? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Amarillo is great. I lived in Canyon for a short period. It has a lot of nice neighborhoods and it will be pretty much obvious when you visit where to not rent.

My opinion is you will simply have to visit. And since it is only 2-3 hours west of OKC, you can go exploring pretty easy. Get used to really flat country. It makes our western OK look hilly by comparison. I had a lot of fun there.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_9580.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM

120 posts, read 425,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Amarillo is great. I lived in Canyon for a short period. It has a lot of nice neighborhoods and it will be pretty much obvious when you visit where to not rent.

My opinion is you will simply have to visit. And since it is only 2-3 hours west of OKC, you can go exploring pretty easy. Get used to really flat country. It makes our western OK look hilly by comparison. I had a lot of fun there.
Well I probably won't explore it much unless they offer the position to me. But it's a good suggestion, thank you.
I've been looking online at rentals, homes for sale, etc I guess I'd just prefer something rural and I can not worry about the neighbors. hahahah

Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 AM

33 posts, read 87,108 times
Hello N8tiv, - I grew up in Amarillo, haven't been there for about 8 years but likely it's much the same. Post here what kind of neighborhood/housing you like and I can tell ya what I know. West side is more suburbia, near college is older houses with character, outside of town are places near water(big plus during summer). There's much I liked about the place, but isolation was an issue for me, - one has to drive near 8 hours in any direction to hit a town of equal or greater size. Current population = around 173,627. Upside is the place produces some genuine characters, like Amarillo Slim, Stanley Marsh(his Toad Hall Gang and Ant Farm crew that erected the Cadillac Ranch).

Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tiv_okie View Post
Well I probably won't explore it much unless they offer the position to me. But it's a good suggestion, thank you.
I've been looking online at rentals, homes for sale, etc I guess I'd just prefer something rural and I can not worry about the neighbors. hahahah
Actually, you will still have to worry about the neighbors. Except in rural Amarillo, your neighbor might be a feed lot.

<<smelly>>

Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
There is very little rural housing or property for sale or rent in the Panhandle...mostly ranch land and those owners (3rd, 4th generation) don't give it up easily.

You might like to live in one of the small towns near Amarillo, though.....we lived in Panhandle for 5 years and loved it....it's the most progressive, modern little town in the Panhandle, some money and nice homes and good schools there because it's near the Pantex facility and many of the workers from there live in Panhandle (and they make good money). Canyon is almost part of Amarillo and is a nice little college town.

Amarillo itself is a nice place to live on the west, southwest and northwest part of town....don't even think of living on the east or northeast sections - that's where 90% of the crime takes place....the rest of the town is virtually crime-free. It is on flat ground but just south of town is Palo Duro Canyon which is second in size only to the Grand Canyon and up toward Borger there are many hills....all cattle and oil country....much of it is the 6666 Ranch which you may have studied about in history (well, maybe not in Oklahoma) or have seen in the Old West movies...lots of antelope bouncing around.

It can be cold and windy in the winter, usually a couple of really good snows, but the sun shines most of the time. In the summer it's pretty hot and windy but the evenings get cool because of the elevation and you see lots of people out walking, biking. They know how to keep the roads cleared in the winters and it's not a bad place to live at all.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
I lived in Amarillo for 13 years and moved away 4 years ago for a job opportunity. Let's just say I'm trying to get back to the Texas Panhandle, either Amarillo or Lubbock. I loved it there. PM me if you have specific questions.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I could be very happy in Amarillo. Low humidity and Palo Duro Canyon is a hop, skip, and jump away.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2009 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: copyright infringement - DMCA Complaint

Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
I've heard some of the neighborhoods betw. Soncy and Coulter, south of I-40 are pretty nice. But like nomad said, it depends what you're looking for.

I 3rd the plug for PaloDuro, couldn't believe it was actually there the first time I saw it. Great pic Synopsis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City