Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,329 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I recently found your forum about Oklahoma City and I am hooked! Thanks for providing a local board where I can read thoughts and questions of other Oklahomans as well as ones wanting to move here.

We moved to the area two years ago from Gilbert, Arizona. This is a suburb of Phoenix. I have come to love Oklahoma so much, we rarely go back to Az. We absolutely love living here!

The people are the best. I was used to being treated with a lack of respect and politeness. The people of OK are so kind and helpful. I strike up conversations with people where ever I go now...the grocery store, the gas station, Wal-Mart, or where ever I find myself! We have obtained so many friends in the last two years...more than we had the entire fifteen years we lived in the Phoenix area.

The kids love it! One thing they still haven't gotten used to is the greenery. So many trees and green grass. The smell of cut grass in the summer time. The rivers and lakes OK offers. We go canoeing down the rivers and camp often now. We take fun trips up to Tulsa or over to the Ozarks in Arkansas. On some long weekends, we go down to Texas or Branson. All so close to us now!

My husband landed a job within a week of moving here. (my job transferred me here, thus our move). He is in construction and actually makes more than he made at his company that he was with for a decade. Also, he is treated with respect at his work sites. As for me, I would never transfer back if they offered...even if they offered more pay. I am now an Oklahoman, and will not change that!

The weather is wonderful. We love the long springs, the change of seasons, and the bearable weather...year round. Sure it gets in the 90s in the summer and 40s in the winter, but that is not too bad at all. By September we are back in the 80s usually and summer just is not the dreaded time we were accustomed to. We actually love it when it snows. We also enjoy all the birds and wild life we see here.

The schools are of a good quality too. My son is in Jr. High and my daughter is in elementary school and they both seem to be getting more out of school than they ever had.

My only regret is we did not move here sooner. If anyone is contemplating moving to OK or is thinking of moving away...I can assure you OK is better in many aspects! Every place has its pros and cons, but I am delighted to be bragging about our new home, "Oklahoma"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
That's great to hear! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new life in Oklahoma.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 70,750 times
Smile Writing from Tucson-Waiting to move to Oklahoma

Hi!
Thanks for your post. My husband and I have our house up for sale and can't wait to get to Oklahoma. I fully understand about the treatment you get in Arizona. i have lived in Tucson for over 35 years and it has completely changed within the last ten years. We have spent time in Oklahoma City and on our second visit we were hooked. It will be so nice to be in a community again rather than what you find in Arizona. Once again, thanks for your post, It only reassures us that we are making a smart move.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiefromAz View Post
My only regret is we did not move here sooner. If anyone is contemplating moving to OK or is thinking of moving away...I can assure you OK is better in many aspects! Every place has its pros and cons, but I am delighted to be bragging about our new home, "Oklahoma"!
We moved here a little over a year ago, and your post echos our sentiments. I tell myself (thanks to a quote by LR), that I got here as soon as I could.

My daughter is a junior at Mustang High School. She has more (and nicer) friends now than she did in her old school, where she was in the school system her whole life.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 AM

35 posts, read 127,874 times
Welcome to Oklahoma.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM

602 posts, read 1,873,751 times
Welcome to Oklahoma! I've lived here my whole life and really enjoyed myself. I'm leaving in September and I know there are so many things I'm going to miss about living here. As you have already found out, Oklahomans are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:52 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
We moved here a little over a year ago, and your post echos our sentiments. I tell myself (thanks to a quote by LR), that I got here as soon as I could.

My daughter is a junior at Mustang High School. She has more (and nicer) friends now than she did in her old school, where she was in the school system her whole life.

Welcome to the forum.
You and your family are a huge asset to Oklahoma Colleen.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,504 times
Default Trying to stay positive in OK City

Hello,

I just started a job here at Tinker AFB and am trying to get over my homesickness for Florida where I am moving from. My bf refused to come with which has made it worse. I am staying in an extended stay motel and venture out to Walmart, but need to come to enjoy OK City and find a place to live. Please help me get used to Oklahoma and not miss Florida and advise what things to do for enjoyment (I love wildlife) and places to live!
Thank you.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:51 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,831,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debskolmodin View Post
Hello,

I just started a job here at Tinker AFB and am trying to get over my homesickness for Florida where I am moving from. My bf refused to come with which has made it worse. I am staying in an extended stay motel and venture out to Walmart, but need to come to enjoy OK City and find a place to live. Please help me get used to Oklahoma and not miss Florida and advise what things to do for enjoyment (I love wildlife) and places to live!
Thank you.
Hi Deb!! Welcome to the forum and Oklahoma. Oklahoma has NO shortage of wildlife, and you can find many of the same animals you mentioned in your blog entry.

I'll leave the advice on where to live to the locals (we are in the southern part of the state) but I will suggest this... Don't try to compare OK to FL, they are very different places!! Just try to get out and explore OK and see what it has to offer.

Come on down and join us in the Chattin' thread: The Official Oklahoma Chattin' Thread Part 2

Or wander through our Picture thread to see how the different areas look: Oklahoma Pictures

This is a great page showing the different regions in OK, to help you find the type of wildlife you are looking for: TravelOK.com:* The All-Terrain Vacation

Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 AM

52 posts, read 219,354 times
Go to Wichita Mountains you will not be sorry especially this time of year with the wild flowers in bloom it is amazing. Seeing the Bison herds for the first time is an inspiring scene and the vastness of the prairie really takes you back in time and makes you wonder what it must have been like a few hundred years ago. Also while are there be sure to visit Holy City. (http://www.theholycitylawton.com/photos.htm - broken link)

Or if you just want a little wildlife closer to the city go to Martin Nature Park.

Last edited by Dale_; 05-03-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City