Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 PM

297 posts, read 583,674 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at apartments online. Just from what I see, and it's location, Cambridge Landing is probably going to be my first stop when I come down to enroll in classes and look at a few apartments. Does anyone know anything about it/ anyone who lives or has lived there?

And does anyone know of anyplace besides rent.com that'd have OKC rentals with some actual details on them so I'm not wasting time during my short visit running around to places that don't fit what I'm looking for? (i.e. not newspaper classifieds, I found those at newsok.com and they don't cut it as far as details I need go.)

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:05 PM

6 posts, read 24,716 times
Give craigslist a try. But, stay away from the lower price ranges. We just made a trip from AZ and checked a bunch out.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks, I'll look when it's closer to the dates I'll be in OK.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, I'm not sure I want to live in a complex.

Is it likely that a house with just a few apartments in it would have a storm cellar? I really want a way to get underground during a twister...

Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
Thanks, I'll look when it's closer to the dates I'll be in OK.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, I'm not sure I want to live in a complex.

Is it likely that a house with just a few apartments in it would have a storm cellar? I really want a way to get underground during a twister...

BTF, don't make yourself crazy with the twister thing. We have such a good warning system here, that you will have PLENTY of time to find shelter when weather turns bad. The tornado season is primarily in the spring, from about the end of March to the end of May. We know days in advance when severe weather is expected, and when the severe weather arrives, the newspeople can pin down to the street where a tornado is.

If you use common sense, listen to the weather reports, take their advice on when to seek shelter, etc., you will be fine. My house is 30+ years old. Still standing. We went through the tornado season last year with a flooded storm shelter, and never had to go anywhere else. It will all pretty much be over by the time you get here.

I work with a man who has lived in OK all his life, is in his early 60s, and only saw one tornado in his whole life, and that was at a distance. Please don't worry.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,913,807 times
Go ahead and worry......I like prematurely gray women..........

Old 05-04-2009, 01:44 PM

498 posts, read 1,599,712 times
A lot of people spend at least a decade in Oklahoma City without ever even seeing a tornado, much less having to take shelter. And some experience a tornado just after unpacking.

One thing you will need to remember, if a severe storm hitting OKC produces a tornado and it is miles across town, don't even bother running for the cellar. All you will see is rain or the exterior of the thunderstorm.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Thanks, y'all are making me feel a lot better!

I think the reason I'm worrying is that I didn't worry when I moved to SC, because my ex hadn't seen a tornado or even had a tornado warning near him in his 26 years, but two weeks or so after I moved there, there was a warning specifically for the 'ward' (I guess you'd call it that?) of Charleston we were living in. And there I was pacing around going wth do I do? Just jump in the bathtub?? We have no basment, no idea where else to take shelter... so I just went and sat in the tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Go ahead and worry......I like prematurely gray women..........
Hahaha!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
Thanks, y'all are making me feel a lot better!

I think the reason I'm worrying is that I didn't worry when I moved to SC, because my ex hadn't seen a tornado or even had a tornado warning near him in his 26 years, but two weeks or so after I moved there, there was a warning specifically for the 'ward' (I guess you'd call it that?) of Charleston we were living in. And there I was pacing around going wth do I do? Just jump in the bathtub?? We have no basment, no idea where else to take shelter... so I just went and sat in the tub.

Hahaha!
I don't know how well prepared SC is for tornadoes, but I can assure you that Oklahoma is VERY well prepared for tornadoes. Unless you are deaf and blind, and live in a cave there's no way a tornado can take you by surprise. And think of the alerts as not a reason to panic, but a reason to take shelter (which you would have determined ahead of time). And as GP pointed out, a bathrub is indeed a good place to be.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:47 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,913,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
And as GP pointed out, a bathrub is indeed a good place to be.
Not sure I pointed it out, but I LOVE bathrubs..........

Old 05-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Not sure I pointed it out, but I LOVE bathrubs..........

Hehehe... you're a hoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City