Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 AM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

I have been considering a move to OKC but have been having a lot of trouble finding a place that is big-dog (50+ lbs) and outdoor-cat friendly and nice, i.e. amenities, updated, safe area, etc. I thought I had found a few apartment communities but they all got terrible reviews from former tenants, were very small and didn't look very nice.
I have tried looking for houses but all that I am finding are either cheap, rundown places in not-so-great neighborhoods or huge, expensive houses in very good neighborhoods. Ideally, I would love a large (800-1100 s.f.) and updated house/apartment in a nice area that allows big dogs and that is not more than 1K a month.
Is it possible or am I wasting my time?
I have looked into the historic areas but I am very worried about safety as those areas still seem to have a lot of crime. Mind you, I am not so worried about possessions as I am the welfare of my pets.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM

18 posts, read 67,658 times
You might look into the apartments in the Lake Hefner area by W Hefner and N MacArthur Blvd. I see people walking their dogs (some huge) all the time in that area. It seems very pet friendly. You also have the lake near by to walk the dogs and you have the ever popular PawPark near by also. PawPark is one of the best in the nation. Its located at the corner of North Grand Boulevard and Hefner Parkway. Check it out: PAW OK - Oklahoma City Paw Park - Dog Park

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM

551 posts, read 1,924,226 times
Or...look in the Moore area. I am pretty sure there are houses that will fit your requirements there. I don't know of any apartments that are pro-outdoor cats. Finding one for your dog shouldn't be a problem. Legacy Crossing used to be a good place, but I haven't lived there in 8+ years.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Thanks so much for the info. I am so happy to hear that there is a really good dog park and will look into that area.
I have been looking at Moore and Norman for house rentals (your're definitely right about apartments not being pro-outdoor cats; I don't think anyone advertises for that; finding proper housing with the cat is actually a bigger problem than the dog, at this point.)
What are your thoughts on crime, specifically crime against animals (i.e. dogfighting?) in OKC and surrounding areas?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 AM

551 posts, read 1,924,226 times
I haven't personally seen many crimes against animals. I would say never seen, but about 15 years ago I went into an apartment where there was a cat locked in a cage. This cat was very mean and obviously not being trained to be a lap pet! If I was older and wiser, I would have called the cops. That being said, I think OKC and surrounding areas are fine. There are the occasional animal cruelty segments on the news, but I think that could be anywhere. It is sad to see an area full of horses or dogs who are too starved and sick to move...Oh, and a few years ago I had a very pretty Siamese cat that was stolen! I'm just in hopes that it went to a better home....OK. enough rambling from me. OKC and surrounding areas are safe, but there still are the occasional exceptions--which could happen anywhere.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I am so happy to hear that there is a really good dog park and will look into that area.
I have been looking at Moore and Norman for house rentals (your're definitely right about apartments not being pro-outdoor cats; I don't think anyone advertises for that; finding proper housing with the cat is actually a bigger problem than the dog, at this point.)
What are your thoughts on crime, specifically crime against animals (i.e. dogfighting?) in OKC and surrounding areas?
To be honest, if you really want to know about animal cruelty, I don't think you'll get an honest answer here. Those activities are typically underground. Who is going to fess up and tell you about it? It's rightfully against CD rules to discuss dog fighting. I think some pepole who are not dog friendly or are not aware of dog behavior react rather than think and that's anywhere. I own big dogs myself and I do not ever leave them outside when I am not home. Unfortunately, no matter where you live...there are sick people in this world.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 05-06-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Thank you so much--I was wondering about leaving my pooch outside while I am away, or installing a doggie door. But it sounds like that will not be an option...
I don't want to stoke any flames here, I just wanted to know of the area's general reputation with regard to animals. I understand that animal cruelty is a problem in a lot of places but where I am living now is a very safe area re: my pets. I know that there are sick people everywhere but (fortunately) there are places where people are still good to animals. Sounds like OKC is not for me.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I am always torn between closing the pet door and leaving it open when I leave the house for more than a few hours. I would be devastated to come home and find out our Marco had escaped somehow by leaving the pet door open, but I also don't like locking him up for more than a few hours (not in a cage).

I can deal with if he had to go to the bathroom inside, but I would be so upset if he was let out or escaped, never to be found again.

Simply put, I love the little guy and don't want any harm to come to him.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Thank you so much--I was wondering about leaving my pooch outside while I am away, or installing a doggie door. But it sounds like that will not be an option...
I don't want to stoke any flames here, I just wanted to know of the area's general reputation with regard to animals. I understand that animal cruelty is a problem in a lot of places but where I am living now is a very safe area re: my pets. I know that there are sick people everywhere but (fortunately) there are places where people are still good to animals. Sounds like OKC is not for me.
Please understand many people allow their pets to go in/out around here and they do just fine. You are getting the opinion of someone on the stronger end of being over protective of her pooches. I too couldn't bare the thought of my dogs accidently getting out or someone being mean.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Please read these links about OKC area:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ml#post7104864

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ml#post7580912
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City