Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:01 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
That's the whole thing. You "drove" into downtown twice. Get out of you're car and explore OkC. As HT suggested, also explore the Paseo Art District. Get out of the car and walk a bit.
No doubt Synopsis. The poster has a lot of research to do. Bass pro is not the 'anchor' of OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM

144 posts, read 484,489 times
There are a lot of things that ladies like to do in OKC. There is the Civic Center with all kinds of Broadway shows and independent movies, the Art Museum, the Paseo District with many art galleries, as well as art galleries in Deep Deuce and Automobile Alley, just to name a few other things to do. The zoo is one of the top zoos in the country with new exhibits being added every year.

If you like Jazz music, there is Maker's in Bricktown as well as the Jazz Lounge in Edmond that is partnered with Hideaway Pizza.

We also have Lake Hefner that is the top sailing lake in the nation. You can wind surf, parasail, and sail a boat. We have the Oklahoma River that is the top rowing venue in the nation.

And of course we have the Thunder, so you won't have to miss the Spurs too much.

What do you like to do? There are tons of things to do.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 PM

47 posts, read 224,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
The zoo is one of the top zoos in the country with new exhibits being added every year.

We also have Lake Hefner that is the top sailing lake in the nation. You can wind surf, parasail, and sail a boat. We have the Oklahoma River that is the top rowing venue in the nation.
Have you been to any other zoos? I just moved here from Tampa which has two zoos a lot better than the one here. And that's just one city.

Top venues for rowing and sailing in the COUNTRY? Doubt that.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 AM

498 posts, read 1,605,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I live in Texas. I didn't have time, sorry to disappoint! I'm researching, not a tourist. I had other places to go also. But I should not have to explore tooo hard to get an overall feeling of a city. You can tell a lot about the mindset by what the city has chosen to anchor it.

It's not a put down. It's an observation.
Well, RGB, I would say the true retail anchor of Oklahoma City is Penn Square Mall. Bass Pro is just a store in Bricktown, nothing more. Since you have been downtown, upon your next visit, here are some must-see and must-do things in downtown OKC.

For drinks, hit up SkkyBar, Venu, The Purple Bar, or Drinkz in Bricktown. None are sports bars by any means. When in downtown, dine at the XO Lounge or Iguana's Mexican Grill. La Luna is awesome as well.

Go and see the Paseo Arts District north of DT OKC on N.W. 30th. I love it. Check out the Asian District on N.W. 23rd if you love pho.

I just think people on here want to make sure you don't get the wrong first impression. Oklahoma City has many sports bars, but honestly they are not as bad as the ones all over Texas which are usually packed with Toolman types (such as the Buffalo Wild Wings on I-45 and Research in The Woodlands, TX)

Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasafras View Post
Have you been to any other zoos? I just moved here from Tampa which has two zoos a lot better than the one here. And that's just one city.

Top venues for rowing and sailing in the COUNTRY? Doubt that.
Think again....

United States Olympic Committee Announces New U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Training Sites in Oklahoma - Sports Features Communications® (http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=press-point-view&title=United%20States%20Olympic%20Committee%2 0Announces%20New%20U.S.%20Olympic%20&%20Paralympic %20Training%20Sites%20in%20Oklahoma&id=49660 - broken link)
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-on-...adlines_widget
USOC honors 2 Oklahoma training sites - USATODAY.com
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Starting Tuesday, Oklahoma will have an official Olympic and Paralympic Training Site.

Olympic Committee officials are expected in town next week to make the designation.

The main area will be by the Chesapeake Boathouse where head coach Shaun Caven said the announcement is a huge deal.

Pics at the following links:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QJCmVrtNDj...CT+COLLAGE.jpg

http://www.chi-athenaeum.org/archawa...os/AA07-11.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QJCmVrtNDjI/Sm...ra_5%20day.jpg

YouTube - BOATHOUSE DISTRICT MASTERPLAN

YouTube - OKLAHOMA RIVER - A VISION FOR THE FUTURE

NewsOK

ZOO...

Top Zoos in the United States, Tourist Attractions, top, America's, USA, US, site, tourism, best, popular, guide

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-23-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: edited post to make copyright compliant

Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 AM

I heard about the river being selected as a training site but not seen the proposed pictures. That's great for the city.

And Lake Hefner as a top venue for sailing? Ever heard of the ocean??

And I've been to the zoo here. It's second rate - no denying that.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I heard about the river being selected as a training site but not seen the proposed pictures. That's great for the city.

And Lake Hefner as a top venue for sailing? Ever heard of the ocean??

And I've been to the zoo here. It's second rate - no denying that.

Oklahoma City Boat Club
Lake Hefner, Oklahoma - Lakelubbers
The Oklahoma City Boat Club is located in northwest Oklahoma City just 15 minutes from downtown. Its facilities are on the east shore of beautiful Lake Hefner, one of the finest inland racing lakes in the country.

Founded in 1930 to promote the sport of sailing, the club has a long tradition of high caliber racing and has hosted numerous national and other top level regattas, including

1977 O'Day Single-Handed Championship
1980 Prince of Wales Match Racing Championship
1985 Santana 20 National Championship
1989 US Olympic Festival Regatta
1992 Catalina 22 National Championship
1994 Mallory Cup Men's Championship
1997 Prindle 19 National Championship
2000 Snipe Nationals and Ida Lewis Finals
2003 O'Day Single-Handed Championship
2005 J-22 North American Championship
2008 Adams Cup Women's Championship

The OKC ZOO is not on par with San Diego etc. but it has always been one of the finest zoos in the nation and usually has a very high ranking. It also is the oldest zoo in the Southwest. It certainly isnt second rate (what a joke).
The Oklahoma City Zoo - Information on the OKC Zoo Including Admission, Exhibits, Animals and More

A huge new exhibit is being developed.
http://newsok.com/asia-exhibit-at-th...rticle/3326662
"Asia exhibit at the Oklahoma City Zoo to include larger area for elephants
11-acre, $23 million project to open at Oklahoma City Zoo in 2011"

Last edited by happytown; 08-23-2009 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 04:11 PM

I guess being from Florida, I've been a little spoiled in the venues of water sports. I will try to embrace

Still not sold on the zoo. I was not impressed.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM

498 posts, read 1,605,672 times
Quote:

I'll buy that, but remember the zoo makes improvements every single year. It is certainly an attraction that never rests on its laurels.

Maybe one day the Oklahoma City Zoo will meet your expectations.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
I guess being from Florida, I've been a little spoiled in the venues of water sports. I will try to embrace

The reason why Hefner is a top sailing lake is that it is at an unusually high elevation for a lake relative to the surrounding terrain. The fact that Hefner is not in a hole like most lakes allows the wind speeds to be much higher than normal. As you are well aware, Oklahoma can be quite windy and that is good for sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City