Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times

Advertisements

Health Center projects part of building boom in Oklahoma City
GROWTH FIVE STRUCTURES UNDER WAY CARRY TOTAL PRICE TAG OF $534 MILLION

http://www.newsok.com/health-center-...ad_story_photo

"Imagine if someone announced that more than $500 million of construction and up to seven new buildings would rise up practically all at once on the edge of downtown Oklahoma City.

Cranes are popping up throughout the 325-acre complex with five buildings under construction and two more expected to start this fall.

"This is incredible,” said Hershel Lamirand, chief executive officer of the Oklahoma Health Center Foundation.

"The past 18 months have marked an incredible growth period for us. It only compares to what we saw in the early 1970s with the ‘HERO’ bond.”

Meanwhile, JoeVan Bullard, director of the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority, confirms that construction is set to start on a $25 million Embassy Suites and a $4 million headquarters for the Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association on land the agency controls in the health center district.
Lamirand said the Oklahoma Health Center intentionally limits commercial development, preferring that employees and visitors cross Interstate 235 and patronize businesses and restaurants downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 AM

144 posts, read 484,808 times
And there are three more buildings in the works, and it sounds like 8th Street will start to have development in the next year.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM

I am very impressed with the OMRF research tower.

"The 185,000-square-foot tower will feature 24 wind turbines designed like the double-helixes of DNA, solar panels and expanses of natural light. Together, they are expected to decrease electricity usage by up to one-third."

"This tower will be the first medical research facility anywhere to harness the wind to help power its labs,” said Dr. Stephen Prescott, president of OMRF. "It will be a model of energy efficiency and resource preservation.”

Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Dang. It's impressive that they are building so much, especially in this economy.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Dang. It's impressive that they are building so much, especially in this economy.
No kidding. I wonder when the economy will catch up with Oklahoma.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM

It has some, I don't see the economy in Oklahoma taking too big of a hit. We don't have a lot of manufacturing compared to 20 years ago, and the financial sector in Oklahoma is very conservative. They didn't do any high risk or shady loans.

As long as oil can stay high we will do fine. If natural gas can get over $5/mcf we will be doing better. I know that Devon and Chesapeake are laying off people at a rate of 5 to 10 a week to slip under the layoff radar.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
No kidding. I wonder when the economy will catch up with Oklahoma.
Hopefully sooner rather than later. We're down to our last bit of savings because I've been out of work most of the last eight months and since I was a consultant, I haven't received a dime of unemployment to offset the loss of salary.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hopefully sooner rather than later. We're down to our last bit of savings because I've been out of work most of the last eight months and since I was a consultant, I haven't received a dime of unemployment to offset the loss of salary.
Hate to hear that Synopsis. I wish you the best as always. Hang in there my friend.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Have you been looking for jobs in Oklahoma?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
Have you been looking for jobs in Oklahoma?

I've been looking for jobs all over the United States lasomeday. Employers are being flooded with so many resumes for every single job that the vast majority of resumes are never even read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City