Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 05:03 PM

125 posts, read 350,788 times

Advertisements

This is directly from the OK driver's manual:

When making a left turn—Yield to all
oncoming traffic.
(emphasis mine) Slow down and stop if
you have to. Go only when there is enough
clear distance for you to turn without interfering
with oncoming traffic.

Please tell every single person that you know that might ever turn left at a stop sign (and that's a whole other FUBARed mess that I'm not going to get into here) this information. Drivers have apparently lost half their brain cells in the 15 years I've been gone from this state, sad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,521,250 times
Yes...I would agree among many other driving concerns I have for others...but that's for another day.

We actually we involved in a wreck just as you described while on our way to look at Christmas lights with our dogs. It totalled our SUV. Thankfully we were all okay even our dogs! The driver had the nerve to jump out and blame us...when in fact she was the one who failed to yield on her left turn and we had no time to stop or avoid hitting her. We think she was on the cell phone which obviously distracted her. Thankfully there are good people in this world and another driver stopped and was an excellent witness. Any accident can be such a headache!

If we all paid a little more attention may be we could avoid people getting hurt all together. When I drive I try to remind myself to be safe for my family's sake.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,500,361 times
I agree. Some people take way too many chances. I have another beef though. When you see a driver signaling (sp)to turn left and they have enough time and clearance to do so between you (I don't mean you personally, just want to make that clear) and another oncoming vehicle please, please maintain the speed limit. I have many times been signaling to make a left turn and have just enough time between first oncoming car and the second when the first oncoming car slows down. Just irritates me to death because by then I have to wait for two or more oncoming cars to pass before I can make the turn and the driver behind me finally realizes that he/she has a horn.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM

125 posts, read 350,788 times
Oh yeah, saw something else equally stupid from a driver going straight at a stop sign with the oncoming car having its left turn signal on that I should append to my earlier plea. DO NOT "BE NICE" and wave to the left-turner to turn left in front of you!!! This encourages stupid and illegal behavior and keeps perpetuating the idiots that think they can turn left at will wherever they want because "nice" people will let them do it. Being "nice" while driving sometimes just isn't a good idea if it encourages things that aren't really legal or wise.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 AM

47 posts, read 224,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I agree. Some people take way too many chances. I have another beef though. When you see a driver signaling (sp)to turn left and they have enough time and clearance to do so between you (I don't mean you personally, just want to make that clear) and another oncoming vehicle please, please maintain the speed limit. I have many times been signaling to make a left turn and have just enough time between first oncoming car and the second when the first oncoming car slows down. Just irritates me to death because by then I have to wait for two or more oncoming cars to pass before I can make the turn and the driver behind me finally realizes that he/she has a horn.
Ever think they may be slowing down because they think YOU are the stupid driver that will cut in front of them?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,500,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasafras View Post
Ever think they may be slowing down because they think YOU are the stupid driver that will cut in front of them?
UH, first of all I am not a "stupid driver", I drive very defensively and try to be courteous. My statement was I believe, "Maintain the speed limit", in other words do NOT slow down just keep going at the same rate of speed that you were previously going, slowing down just causes a backup behind me. I know the rules of the road and I do realize that I must yeild to all oncoming traffic and I do realize that not all drivers do that. Thus the term Drive Defensively.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 AM

47 posts, read 224,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
UH, first of all I am not a "stupid driver", I drive very defensively and try to be courteous. My statement was I believe, "Maintain the speed limit", in other words do NOT slow down just keep going at the same rate of speed that you were previously going, slowing down just causes a backup behind me. I know the rules of the road and I do realize that I must yeild to all oncoming traffic and I do realize that not all drivers do that. Thus the term Drive Defensively.
Never called you a stupid driver, but this thread suggests there are many out there (which I agree with). I was just pointing out that the other driver that is slowing down may be doing so to be defensive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City