Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:58 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillywhite View Post
Ah, the old classic: "This is the way we are, and this is the way we've always been, and some outsider aint gonna come in here and change us". This is the reason OK is backwards. Of course, similar such arguments were put forward during the civil war era...
That's it, I'm done. It was fun while it lasted.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
Ok before I follow colleeng47 out the door I have this to say. First of all I agree with everything Bass and Redbird said. Oklahoma bashing is gettin old. If those of you who just cannot adapt to or accept the Ok culture don't let the door hit you on the way out. Every single state has it's own cultures, religious beliefs and political beliefs it is singularly up to you to either accept these differances or turn and walk away. No one and I mean no one has forced you to accept our culture. We in Okla live and let live and expect the same of those who transplant here. That's all I have to say.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, though, the likes of _redbird_ will not hear a word of it. Oh no, OKC is just as culturally progressive and diverse as NYC and Paris. And don't dare say otherwise.
LOL!!!! My god, you are prone to flights of fantasy, aren't you? I never said OKC or any other American city was as culturally progressive and diverse as NYC and Paris. Hogwash. If that is your best shot, you need to pack it in.

Here we go again. Lilywhite, you were the one who came onto CDF playing the "I am british and better than ~all~ of you" routine. Your rant was not about dislikes, it was placing ~all~ of the Oklahoma people beneath you.

My point was there were many people in Oklahoma you never met and therefore it was laughable to hear your snobbish "I am too good for all you lowly Oklahoma people..." posts.

I never said it was not okay to dislike Oklahoma or to post those dislikes, I said YOU were putting down all the people of Oklahoma because you took a walk around bricktown and it was desolate, then came on CDF and started in on the entire State.

The analogy would be British people who judge Americans based on American tourists. I do not base my perceptions of the British people based on what you say on these boards.

So, it is once again apparent, you are lying in wait for the next unhappy person to bash Oklahoma so you can take out your act and try and polish it up.

We already know you hate Oklahoma and the state you came from. Where was it, Louisiana? We know you hate Oklahoma, we get that. You are not a happy camper and you are never at a loss for spreading your unhappiness on these boards.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Ah, the old classic: "This is the way we are, and this is the way we've always been, and some outsider aint gonna come in here and change us". This is the reason OK is backwards. Of course, similar such arguments were put forward during the civil war era...
You were not happy camper in LA, lilywhite, and you are still not happy.

Quote:
Hi everyone. I've just finished a Ph.D. in Lafayette, La, and am considering taking a job at the OU Health Sciences Center in OKC.

1). I'm a young, male, originally from England and have found it extremely difficult to settle in Louisiana.
I have found the culture to be insular, the politics to be extremely non-progressive, and have encounted racism, sexism, and general bigotry. The state as a whole also seems to be very poverty stricken, and the general scenery is bleak. I'm really hoping that it will be a different story in OKC.
Your unhappiness seems to follow you. Perhaps NYC or Paris would be more to your liking. But then again,...maybe not.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
You know the "my neighbors asked me to church" line is so prevalent on this board I am curious - has anyone here had an experience of having the neighbor ask, you decline, and then they continued to ask you again and again? I bet not. Let's face it - Oklahoma is overwhelmingly Christian. Asking a community newcomer to church is something Christians do. There's a whole lot of difference between an invitation to church and trying to convert you. If it doesn't interest you, just say no thanks. Same if they ask you out to dinner at a barbeque restaurant and you're a vegetarian, or they ask you to a basketball game and you're really a football person.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM

62 posts, read 219,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Your unhappiness seems to follow you. Perhaps NYC or Paris would be more to your liking. But then again,...maybe not.
Yes, very good, you've done some digging and you're trying to make this personal. Bravo. It is not my unhappiness that is following me and in fact I am perfectly happy. I am, however, generally appalled by a lot of what I see and hear around me. Louisiana was pretty bad. I thought Oklahoma City would be better. It isn't. It in fact has many of the negative aspects of Louisiana but without the positive aspects (excellent food that is widespread, a thriving music scene, and the nightlife of New Orleans).

I do not think I am 'better' than folks in Oklahoma. Unfortunately, though, Oklahoma is a very non-progressive place. Sometimes it take some outsiders to come in and point a few things out for change to happen. Who knows, maybe Oklahoma City might see improved public transport in the near future or introduce laws to cut down on the booming puppy mill industry. Or, more likely, outsiders will be barrated until they are forced to leave the statu quo will remain.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,185 times
I just can't believe people get so worked up over an INTERNET forum! For all we know redbird is a 12 year old filipino and lillywhite is a 14 year old high schoolers in Indiana. Probably not but my point is if you really get worked up over what anonymous people say on the internet it might be time to find a new hobby. I'm just laughing and moving onto the next thread.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, very good, you've done some digging and you're trying to make this personal. Bravo.
And Bravo to you also. But once again, you are trying to hang a coat based on your limited experience in OKC area. I am not trying to make it personal. You have stated ad nauseum Oklahoma does not live up to your high standards. We get it, thank you. Your song and dance isn't the first, nor the last. We have heard it before, from within and without. No one here walks around with rose colored glasses, even though you try over and over to paint us that way.

Quote:
It is not my unhappiness that is following me and in fact I am perfectly happy. I am, however, generally appalled by a lot of what I see and hear around me. Louisiana was pretty bad. I thought Oklahoma City would be better. It isn't. It in fact has many of the negative aspects of Louisiana but without the positive aspects (excellent food that is widespread, a thriving music scene, and the nightlife of New Orleans).
I am glad you have found some happiness in continuing your put-downs of OKC. Some people are only happy when they are complaining.

Quote:
I do not think I am 'better' than folks in Oklahoma. Unfortunately, though, Oklahoma is a very non-progressive place.
Here we go again. You sir, are a broken record. Thank you for sharing your opinion of OKC. At least you have learned one important lesson! You are no longer putting down the entire populace as you did when you first came on these boards.

Quote:
Sometimes it take some outsiders to come in and point a few things out for change to happen. Who knows, maybe Oklahoma City might see improved public transport in the near future or introduce laws to cut down on the booming puppy mill industry.
Yes, and sometimes it takes the voting public to change the laws.

Are you inferring no one from OKC has thought of improving public transport and shutting down puppy mills? Those points have been raised long before you made your happy presence known on these boards. But thanks for sharing nonetheless.

Quote:
Or, more likely, outsiders will be barrated until they are forced to leave the statu quo will remain.
That's berated ol' chap. Or even more likely, you will continue to pretend you have all the answers and no one in OKC is capable of addressing the city's planning. Either way, cheerio. Have a good one.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
You know the "my neighbors asked me to church" line is so prevalent on this board I am curious - has anyone here had an experience of having the neighbor ask, you decline, and then they continued to ask you again and again? I bet not.........
I asked a neighbor to share our hot tub more than once and always got turned down......but I kept asking.......I quit asking once she showed up with her husband...........

Old 11-10-2009, 05:18 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
Quote:
Wait a minute. Isn't being offended by a person asking you to church being backwards? If you're so forward thinking maybe you should give church a chance. You seemed to have come here with the idea that if someone asked you to church you would be offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City