Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 AM

498 posts, read 1,605,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
But then again, Okies are known for heading out to the front porch to take a look when the weatherman says to get to the basement... haha
Yes, if you see okies heading outside to see if they can see a tornado, you really don't have much to worry about. Honestly. Of my 27 years of growing up and living in Oklahoma City, I encountered two tornadoes... one on June 13, 1998 and the other east of Billings in 1991 while coming back from Kansas.

Another reason for the low mortality rate from tornadoes is the fact that OKC has the world's most advanced warning system for severe weather. Once you hear Gary England say "get Val on the Gentner", you know that bad weather is headed your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired chief View Post
Hello All... there is a possibility that a position may become available to me in the very near future with me having to choose between of Hill AFB in Utah or Tinker AFB in OK at the ALCs. I have never been to Oklahoma before but have experienced (from afar) the results of gangs and extreme weather living here in Eastern North Carolina. Can anyone tell me about the surrounding suburbs with low crime rates, good school systems, family activities, larger acreage on newer single level homes. Are homes with storm shelters the norm or specially built. I'd like to live around military family communities. I am asian (Filipino) and my wife is of Hungarian/Italian descent. We have 2 children, at 15 y/o son and a 7 y/o daughter. Are there any areas where we should avoid because of being an interracial family? Are there any areas that are less prone to tornadoes? Any information you can provide would be appreciated so much. Thanks, All... Merry Christmas
Hello, I responded to your post over on the Utah forum as well since I just moved from Tinker to Hill AFB myself. The surrounding areas east of the base are a great place to live. Try Choctaw or Harrah as both have great school systems. You aren't going to encounter any real gang violence unless you are in OKC, Del City or directly in MWC. Many newer homes have storm shelters, and if you happen to purchase a place without one they aren't too terribly expensive to install. The weather warnings in Oklahoma are second to none, so don't let the severe weather scare you too much. I actually miss the thunderstorms and tornadoes now that I've left .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City